Most visually stunning MJ short film?

What is the most visually stunning MJ short film?

• Remember The Time

Votes: 9 15.8%
  • Ghosts

Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Thriller

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Smooth Criminal

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • Bad

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Don't Stop Til You Get Enough

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Rock With You

• Blood On The Dance Floor

• You Rock My World

• Total voters

Ms. BlueGangsta

Proud Member
Which one do you think is the most visually stunning out of the choices I've put in the poll?
BTW, when I say visually stunning I mean everything.
The background, the dancing, the special effects, etc.:)
Now vote!:D

Can't believe you left off Speed Demon!! BLASPHEMY!!!

;)

Can't believe you left off Speed Demon!! BLASPHEMY!!!

;)
OMG, Nooooooo!
I forgot to add it, and I LOVE Speed Demon!
giphy.gif

Oh well, I guess I won't feel too bad because I did say "out of the choices I've put on the poll", and not out of all of the MJ short films in existence.:lol:
I might make a big mega poll one day with ALL of the short films tho.:)

In Smooth Criminal, the effect where MJ sends the gunman into the wall doesn't stand up today. And it always irked me that when MJ fires the gun there are no injuries and zero damage. Don't get me started on the saxophonist.

Thriller remains inch by inch perfection to this day - despite the use of dated techniques in the werewolf transformation scene.

So Thriller.

Since we are voting for "most stunning" and 'Leave Me Alone' :plane: is not listed, I'm going with 'Rock With You.'

I've NEVER seen anything as stunning as Michael there-those curls, those eyes, that smile, that sparkly suit and boots?

At least I was stunned. :dropdead:

In Smooth Criminal, the effect where MJ sends the gunman into the wall doesn't stand up today. And it always irked me that when MJ fires the gun there are no injuries and zero damage. Don't get me started on the saxophonist.

Thriller remains inch by inch perfection to this day - despite the use of dated techniques in the werewolf transformation scene.

So Thriller.

Ha! I adore Smooth Criminal, but yes that bit annoys me!

Well, hard to decide for one, but this one always had the most magic for me:

The Triumph (Can You Feel It)

Jacksons, but the first video Michael had a say in the production / visuals i think.
I just love those old school 70s special effects and the excessive use of audio overdubs and overlengthy intro/outro. Great piece of art.

Smooth Criminal is a force of nature by itself.

You miss my second favourite though - Beat It, how can anyone ignore that?

Is it just me or do Beat It & TWYMMF look really gritty & tired now, like it's on an old VHS tape.

Anyone know why?

An often forgotten masterpiece. That's where MJ's great run with spectacular videos really began.
The only thing is that the audio effects are WAY too loud. Love the added guitar for the last refrain though

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

The only thing is that the audio effects are WAY too loud. Love the added guitar for the last refrain though

Yes! What's that about!!

And I also thought no of CYFI as the film that started it all off in terms of iconic videos. If it hadn't been for that I think there'd be no Billie Jean, Thriller etc.

Ghosts. It is more a short movie than a music video to me. The location, the floor, the special effects, the plot, the mayor disguise. At first, I did not know Michael was the mayor. I was just thinking "I've seen these eyes somewhere".

Princess talked about visual entertainment. Go watch the part where he possesses the mayor and holds the mirror for him. That angry face is really something. You can hear Michael's frustation thanks to the way he keeps saying the word "freak". That laugh which means "I can hear you think, this is what I go through everyday." is frightening. That scary reflection saying "Who's weird now ?!". Such a great idea. Very poignant.

The only thing is that the audio effects are WAY too loud.

Haha, no, that's the great thing about it. :D
It's like in a movie where the music is secondary.
The Liberian Girl video had a similar concept. That's real video art with balls! :D

Last edited:
Ghosts. It is more a short movie than a music video to me. The location, the floor, the special effects, the plot, the mayor disguise. At first, I did not know Michael was the mayor. I was just thinking "I've seen these eyes somewhere".

Princess talked about visual entertainment. Go watch the part where he possesses the mayor and holds the mirror for him. That angry face is really something. You can hear Michael's frustation thanks to the way he keeps saying the word "freak". That laugh which means "I can hear you think, this is what I go through everyday." is frightening. That scary reflection saying "Who's weird now ?!". Such a great idea. Very poignant.

That is my first choice too! Just all the 'special effects' make it visually stunning like a roller coaster.
You first have the mayor which I didn't like and didn't recognize till I saw the 'credits' rolling by and went :blink: and then of course the 2nd viewing, I did recognize those 'dark eyes' lol
Second you have those 'ghouls' dancing on the ceiling that is WOW really! Then you have the skeleton which is my favorite :blush:
The part where Michael 'smashes' itself into the ground is the most 'creepy' part and where his face is as huge as the door is the 'funny' part with the mayor 'jumping' through the window. Also the part where the mayor is 'possessed' by Michael that is 'stunning' too.

"Smooth criminal" would be a close second to 'visual stunning' with the lean and how he fires that gun without anyone getting hurt lol. I also love how that coin travels through space and just 'starts' the whole Magic of "Smooth Criminal". One of my fave parts is how that black cat walks over the piano and how the 'tension' is build to the point where Michael yells 'Annie are you okay! " Very artistic!

The entire Ghosts movie is mindblowing...

As a musicvideo - Smooth Criminal

I think Ghosts should stand on its own b/c it's more like a full movie than a short film. So I chose Remember the Time because I like the cultural background and the hints to a powerful black past. After reading Susan Fast's book I watch it with different eyes.

I think Ghosts should stand on its own b/c it's more like a full movie than a short film. So I chose Remember the Time because I like the cultural background and the hints to a powerful black past. After reading Susan Fast's book I watch it with different eyes.

What did she wrote? Sounds interesting. :) Would like to hear more - especially if there is something about MJ's thought and ideas with the concept.

Hess;4190024 said:
Would like to hear more - especially if there is something about MJ's thought and ideas with the concept.

The concept of the ‘Remember The Time’ music clip is based on a cultural/racial background as well.

According to several theories, MJ intentionally creates a contrast in order to emphasize his racial identity (black African roots) to all of us.

MJ is depicted wearing that gold outfit (full of regal accessories), when, at the same time, his black class in the video wears these poor clothes. That apparent contrast illustrates how people tend to separate him from his black origins.

But, in the end, MJ reminds to all of us that he is still one of them because they share strong black, African roots. For example, take a look at the hip-hop dance breakdown part (where they all together dance in harmony) which is a proof of their common dance routines, emanating, of course, from a common African heritage.

MJ was always proud of his black origins, & the fact that his African trip took place right after completing that video gives, in my opinion, even more credence to these theories.

Leave Me Alone easily.
Has always influenced as an artist and Is a big reason why I became a graphic designer. The collage, scrapbook style visuals are always in the back my mind when ever I create anything. It's been emblazoned in my brain ever since I was a kid. To me it's the best video he ever did.

Bit of a toss up but I went with Ghosts. The visuals are stunning and his performance gets me every time.

Leave Me Alone easily.
Has always influenced as an artist and Is a big reason why I became a graphic designer. The collage, scrapbook style visuals are always in the back my mind when ever I create anything. It's been emblazoned in my brain ever since I was a kid. To me it's the best video he ever did.

Love this answer:)

LMA isn't one that immediately springs to mind as one of my favourites. But I love your reasoning and passion for it. Plus the fact that it influenced your career choices.

Heart-warming.

Actually, I find Don't Stop and Rock With You visually pleasing too.
I mean in RWY...the laser lights and just MJ.... looking fine in that shimmery outfit with the matching boots?!
Yeah. Thats hot. And again, in DSTYGE.... Just MJ.... in his tux and all them dang colorful balls or w/e! Lol!

Back