It's The Falling In Love

analogue

Proud Member
I was surprised to learn that this song isn't popular among most fans, but I love it. I can't help but have a smile on my face whenever I listen to it. Great upbeat, and fun song

I've always loved this song. It's one my favourite Michael duets. Patti and Michael compliment each other really well in the song. I don't get the dislike for it either. It's always made me happy.

I'd love to see footage of them singing it together in the studio. I can just imagine Quincy's happy face. :)

Who doesn't like this song?? :blink:

It's a sweet young MJ carefree song. Like most songs on Off The Wall, it's great.

This is the only song without fail, I skip.

Absolutely the worst song from Off The Wall - Invincible.

This is the only song without fail, I skip.

Absolutely the worst song from Off The Wall - Invincible.
Explain to me please what is so bad about this song? I never understood the dislike for this song. It's a fun carefree song.

Yeah, I've always actually found this to be a popular song among big fans but not known by the average listener of today's generation.. it just wasnt promoted the way it could have but I dont think theres many fans that dont like it

Explain to me please what is so bad about this song? I never understood the dislike for this song. It's a fun carefree song.

It's just terrible. I don't quite know why I dislike it the way I do, literally every other MJ song I love, even stuff like Eddie Murphy's Watzupwitu. I just don't like this.

Dee Dee Bridgewater / Dionne Warwick / Marie Osmond / Smoove & Turrell

Re: Dee Dee Bridgewater / Dionne Warwick / Marie Osmond / Smoove & Turrell

It's a lovely song I love it..

More popular than anybody thinks. I remember Marie promoted several 'Off the Wall' songs on her TV series-I still remember her version of "He's Out of My Life"-like I watched it yesterday. :)

More popular than anybody thinks. I remember Marie promoted several 'Off the Wall' songs on her TV series-I still remember her version of "He's Out of My Life"-like I watched it yesterday. :)
Here's Marie doing it again on the Midnight Special. A few years ago when Marie competed on Dancing With The Stars, Jermaine sat in the audience to watch her on one episode.
Patti Austin, who sang on Mike's version, also performed songs by Jermaine (Let It Ride) & The Jacksons (Give It Up)

I think it only starts to pick up towards the end and develop a groove when it goes up a tone, and when the handclaps kick in. still, it's too little too late :( Michael could have sung it alone, as patti only contributes four lines (and some ad-libs). her voice sounds similar to his anyway.. hardly what i'd call a 'duet'. it's all average at best and forgettable. doesn't stand out as a song that is distinctly 'Michael jackson'

It is because most of his fans tend to dislike songs in which MJ had little to no involvement in their making, mainly in terms of song-writing.

In other words, most of his fans do not like the fact that a certain song was written for him (by external songwriters), so subconsciously this makes them dislike the song, too.

Apart from ‘It’s The Falling In Love’, notice also how most of his fans dislike some of his other songs in which MJ did not contribute or he contributed little to their making.

Like, ‘P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)’, ‘She’s Out Of My Life’, ‘Just Good Friends’, ‘You Are Not Alone’, ‘Keep The Faith’, songs that also are not popular among his fan base for the same reason.

So, it is not about these songs themselves not being good enough, or even not about not being promoted enough.

mj_frenzy;4260714 said:
It is because most of his fans tend to dislike songs in which MJ had little to no involvement in their making, mainly in terms of song-writing.

In other words, most of his fans do not like the fact that a certain song was written for him (by external songwriters), so subconsciously this makes them dislike the song, too.

Apart from ‘It’s The Falling In Love’, notice also how most of his fans dislike some of his other songs in which MJ did not contribute or he contributed little to their making.

Like, ‘P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)’, ‘She’s Out Of My Life’, ‘Just Good Friends’, ‘You Are Not Alone’, ‘Keep The Faith’, songs that also are not popular among his fan base for the same reason.

So, it is not about these songs themselves not being good enough, or even not about not being promoted enough.

That's right but you didn't mention his solo albums in Motown. Those are inexistents for some fans. They consider the start of his solo career with Off The Wall.

mj_frenzy;4260714 said:

Who is this "most"? Maybe rock magazine writers or the some of the people who post on a fansite care about it. But most people do not care who writes or produces music, especially Top 40 listeners. The majority of songs played on the radio during any decade were not self-written anyway. Like they used to say on American Bandstand, "I like it because it has a good beat and I can dance to it". :laughing: You think people did not make Ice Ice Baby a big hit because it has a Queen riff in it, if they know about the sample at all? Did not Whitney Houston & Celine Dion sell large amount of records without writing a thing? Whitney's most popular hit is a remake of a Dolly Parton song.

mj_frenzy;4260714 said:

Mate, this is complete bullshit, knock it off with your unsubstantiated claims. Most of his fans?Where did you pull out that statistic? I see you conveniently left off songs like, Rock With You, Man In The Mirror, Thriller, Butterflies, HUMAN NATURE, Lady In My Life etc which are all fan favorites. stop spreading a false narrative.

Last edited:
DuranDuran;4260774 said:
Who is this "most"? Maybe rock magazine writers or the some of the people who post on a fansite care about it. But most people do not care who writes or produces music, especially Top 40 listeners. The majority of songs played on the radio during any decade were not self-written anyway. Like they used to say on American Bandstand, "I like it because it has a good beat and I can dance to it". :laughing: You think people did not make Ice Ice Baby a big hit because it has a Queen riff in it, if they know about the sample at all? Did not Whitney Houston & Celine Dion sell large amount of records without writing a thing? Whitney's most popular hit is a remake of a Dolly Parton song.

I am talking about most of MJ’s fans.

Not about rock magazine writers, or writers in general, or people/listeners in general, all of whom indeed do not really care who wrote a certain MJ’s song, but when it comes to MJ’s fan base, this matters a lot.

Take, for example, his ‘You Are Not Alone’ song which was written largely by R Kelly.

It is quite interesting that how ‘You Are Not Alone’ enjoyed such a big chart success (due to listeners in general), when at the same time is not a favourite song among MJ’s fan base just because it was written for him.

Themidwestcowboy;4260783 said:
Mate, this is complete bullshit, knock it off with your unsubstantiated claims. Most of his fans?Where did you pull out that statistic? I see you conveniently left off songs like, Rock With You, Man In The Mirror, Thriller, Butterflies, HUMAN NATURE, Lady In My Life etc which are all fan favorites. stop spreading a false narrative.

‘Why You Wanna Trip On Me’, ‘Off The Wall’, ‘2000 Watts’, ‘Girlfriend’, ‘Baby Be Mine’, ‘This Time Around’, ‘Cry’ are just some other examples that prove this empirical fact.

There might be, of course, one or two exceptions (like, ‘Man In The Mirror’, or even ‘Human Nature’) but these songs are just exceptions to this rule.

By the way, ‘Thriller’, ‘Butterflies’, 'The Lady In My Life', 'Rock With You’, are not really favourites among his fan base.

mj_frenzy;4261002 said:

Not about rock magazine writers, or writers in general, or people/listeners in general, all of whom indeed do not really care who wrote a certain MJ’s song, but when it comes to MJ’s fan base, this matters a lot.

Take, for example, his ‘You Are Not Alone’ song which was written largely by R Kelly.

It is quite interesting that how ‘You Are Not Alone’ enjoyed such a big chart success (due to listeners in general), when at the same time is not a favourite song among MJ’s fan base just because it was written for him.

‘Why You Wanna Trip On Me’, ‘Off The Wall’, ‘2000 Watts’, ‘Girlfriend’, ‘Baby Be Mine’, ‘This Time Around’, ‘Cry’ are just some other examples that prove this empirical fact.

There might be, of course, one or two exceptions (like, ‘Man In The Mirror’, or even ‘Human Nature’) but these songs are just exceptions to this rule.

By the way, ‘Thriller’, ‘Butterflies’, 'The Lady In My Life', 'Rock With You’, are not really favourites among his fan base.

“Thriller”, “Butterflies”, “The Lady In My Life”, “Rock With You” ARE very much fan favorites. These are the songs that the top radio stations played in my area. Maybe you are speaking of your surroundings or friends, because these songs are very much fan favorites and also songs that non-fans love the most.

mj_frenzy;4261002 said:
Most of them do not look at or post on fan websites. So how can you know this? You cannot determine what most Mike fans think from activity on a fansite. I know people who prefer Jackson 5 over Mike's solo career. Others think he sold out to get a crossover audience. That does not mean most fans think that. A lot of younger fans probably do not know the Motown era stuff as well because that is not played as much and that is an older style of music that they might not relate to. It's like they might not like The Beatles, disco, or glam metal because that is old fashioned music, it's not what is hip or up to date. Was the average MTV watcher in the 1980s checking for Dean Martin or Andrews Sisters music? That's likely why later albums like HIStory rate more for some younger fans over Off The Wall and vice versa for an older fan. The type of music a person primarily listens to is a factor as well. A R&B listener is more likely to prefer the Teddy Riley songs on Dangerous than the rest of it. On the local R&B oldies station today I never hear Heal The World, but they play Remember The Time a lot and occasionally even Can't Let Her Get Away, which was not a single. I heard Lady In My Life played a couple of days ago. In general, R&B is not known for being self written. R&B is more likely to be songwriter and/or producer driven (HDH, Linda Creed, Jam & Lewis, Gamble & Huff, Isaac Hayes, Narada Michael Walden, Babyface, etc).

Jackson Rules;4260715 said:
That's right but you didn't mention his solo albums in Motown. Those are inexistents for some fans. They consider the start of his solo career with Off The Wall.

DuranDuran;4261074 said:
A lot of younger fans probably do not know the Motown era stuff as well because that is not played as much and that is an older style of music that they might not relate to.

Is that really true?

His fans, especially his younger fans, are so into Internet/technology, so I find it hard to believe that his Motown era stuff/solo albums (which is freely & easily accessible thanks to Internet) is unfamiliar to them.

somewhereinthedark;4261038 said:
“Thriller”, “Butterflies”, “The Lady In My Life”, “Rock With You” ARE very much fan favorites. These are the songs that the top radio stations played in my area. Maybe you are speaking of your surroundings or friends, because these songs are very much fan favorites and also songs that non-fans love the most.

DuranDuran;4261074 said:
Most of them do not look at or post on fan websites. So how can you know this? You cannot determine what most Mike fans think from activity on a fansite. I know people who prefer Jackson 5 over Mike's solo career. Others think he sold out to get a crossover audience. That does not mean most fans think that. A lot of younger fans probably do not know the Motown era stuff as well because that is not played as much and that is an older style of music that they might not relate to. It's like they might not like The Beatles, disco, or glam metal because that is old fashioned music, it's not what is hip or up to date. Was the average MTV watcher in the 1980s checking for Dean Martin or Andrews Sisters music? That's likely why later albums like HIStory rate more for some younger fans over Off The Wall and vice versa for an older fan. The type of music a person primarily listens to is a factor as well. A R&B listener is more likely to prefer the Teddy Riley songs on Dangerous than the rest of it. On the local R&B oldies station today I never hear Heal The World, but they play Remember The Time a lot and occasionally even Can't Let Her Get Away, which was not a single. I heard Lady In My Life played a couple of days ago. In general, R&B is not known for being self written. R&B is more likely to be songwriter and/or producer driven (HDH, Linda Creed, Jam & Lewis, Gamble & Huff, Isaac Hayes, Narada Michael Walden, Babyface, etc).

These days with Internet, one can easily get a reliable & representative sample concerning which MJ’s songs are the favourites among his fan base globally.

Empirically, there is a rather positive correlation between songs that he did not write & his fans not liking them.

Similarly, there is also a positive correlation between songs that he wrote & his fans liking them.

So, these results can be generalized to the whole population (in that case, MJ’s fans).

If in some areas (like in the place you live), these four songs ‘Thriller’, ‘Butterflies’, ‘The Lady In My Life’ & ‘Rock With You’ are fan favourites, then that is acceptable.

But, I am referring to the general tendency coming from his fans from all around the world.

I guess you are right that most of the Fan favorits are written by MJ and also that all of the Jacksons and especially the Motownera stuff needs much more love and playing time!
I am someone who really love the songs of this eras cause esspecially this songs gets we always in a very good mood and I listen to them a lot after I discovered most of them last year!
The 70ies have the biggest MJ song catalog of all centurys and they should be always played and shared to keep this beautiful special part with the entertaining TV apearences in the beautiful colurful costums alive!
I always admire MJs great dance timing in all of this era!

Last edited:
Back