Which song do you think is better?

• Liberian Girl

Votes: 30 73.2%
  • I Just Can't Stop Loving You

Votes: 11 26.8%

• Total voters

analogue

Proud Member
Two Ballads from BAD, but which one do you think is better? I'm choosing Liberian Girl, and I wish MJ would have sung it live

Two Ballads from BAD, but which one do you think is better? I'm choosing Liberian Girl, and I wish MJ would have sung it live

I agree!
I think he could have switched some songs (like singing liberian girl instead of she's out of my life etc.)

I wish Liberian Girl would have gotten a better short film. That song deserved better than a video with a bunch of celebrity cameos.

I wish Liberian Girl would have gotten a better short film. That song deserved better than a video with a bunch of celebrity cameos.

Totally agree with this!! But I gotta admit I do have a place for the short film, especially the "okay everybody's that's a rap"

I love Liberian Girl, no offence to IJCSLY, but Liberian Girl is so much better in my opinion. The vocals, lyrics, depth of the soundscape and the sexiness of this track.

Liberian Girl all the way, must be one of my favorite ballads! Those harmonies (and his lead vocals overall, but especially at the end) are just amazing. I often wonder what it would have sounded like and how he would have performed that song live..

I LOOOOVE both... yeah I think I'll have to go with Liberian Girl though :)

Liberian Girl! It's so lush, the harmonies, the instrumentation the atmosphere. It's one of his best songs

Because of the live version I go with I Just Can't Stop Loving You - also one of the highlights in This Is It along with Human Nature.

I agree - Liberian Girl is propably the best song and deserved a (much) better video. - If MJ had ever performed Liberian Girl live it could have been so special.

I sometimes feel sad MJ did not perform more of his songs live. - 3 tours and so many of the same songs - sure there where many songs he simply had to perform because people wanted them - but he could easily had changed the set-list many times for each leg. - not really changing, maybe just 1 song that changed every night. - Like SiM and Human Nature would in TII. - That way he could have performed all his songs live.

Songs like Give In To Me, Who Is It, Keep The Faith - and Liberian Girl - could have been amazing live.

For me, the ‘Liberian Girl’ song is not only far better than ‘I Just Can’t Stop Loving You’ but also his most emotional ballad ever.

Also, I totally understand these fans who wish the ‘Liberian Girl’ video clip had a different visual concept (without those celebrity cameos).

In fact, it was Jim Yukich’s idea for that video concept & MJ immediately liked it.

“… We’re throwing the kitchen sink at it, and so I pitched the idea to Michael that we would have him shoot the video while all these are people waiting to begin the video, and they don’t realize it until the end is that he’s directing… He [MJ] loved the idea. We started calling people, and we just called in favors from friends… And then you start calling people saying you have these people [Dreyfuss, Spielberg, Amy Irving] and I’d start naming names and it was easy. It was very easy to get people because as soon as you get a couple of big names, everybody wants to be in it…” (Jim Yukich, director of ‘Liberian Girl’)

Liberian people became very happy when that song came out at that time because it brought their tormented (& rather unknown) country into the spotlight.

" … The Liberian girls were so astonished to hear a great musician like Michael Jackson thinking about a little country in Africa. It gave us hope, especially when things went bad. It make us to feel that we are still part of the world…" (Margaret Carson on Washington Times)

Liberian Girl, I love when the girl says "Naku Penda Piya-Naku Taka
Piya-Mpenziwe" when the song starts.

Liberian Girl is a much better track imo. Nice composition, fantastic harmonies, and a sort of seductive, mysterious atmosphere that sets it apart from most of MJ's other work. I Just Can't Stop Loving You is a solid ballad, but not really anything special.

'Speed Demon' was the perfect bridge into 'Liberian Girl'. It sounded like he was traveling to an exotic land!

Both songs are standouts from the album, being the only love ballads. As Michael would say, 'melody is king'.

'I Just Can't Stop Loving You' may be more traditional, but it's more flexible - which I like.

Hmmm...

I see 'Liberian girl' is winning all the awards here. It's my choice too though. I love the song and the way Michael sings it and there is something about "I just can't stop loving you" that always makes me :cry: so the choice here is easy. Besides, I do love the video especially the end lol :D

Oh really? I was surprised to see the poll result! IMO I just can't stop loving you is always the winner, especially the one MJ duet with Seidah - my favorite MJ's backup singer all time:) MJ looks relaxed with her in concerts;)

Back