Mj voice power

Rock with you33

Proud Member
What your saying bout mj power in his voice
Did he got less powerful over the years or he never Loss his power?
Did his voice as he got older also got a little deeper?

Last edited:
His voice definitely deepen over the years, regarding power behind it.. I mean I felt power in the live vocals we heard on This Is it ie. "I just can't stop loving you" but it really is hard to fully give judgement when he was 'saving his voice'... I can't picture Michael without power behind the voice especially when it was coming from the same heart.. that's where the power really comes from..

There definitely seemed to be a change in overall power in his live performances as early as the DWT. It's quite noticeable if you compare the likes of Wanna be Startin something and Billie Jean from the Bad tour.

However Michael always seemed to have moments where he demonstrated that he could still reach those levels. A few times in This is It as mentioned and I always remember the high note from the end of I'll be there at the 30th anniversary. That blew my mind.

What's strange is that despite his vocals in concert become less powerful, his actual song releases were fine. I mean the end of Earth Song is so incredibly powerful and come Invincible he still hadn't lost a step vocally so it's interesting that he couldn't maintain the same level of power doing it live. Maybe the more and more he decided to use playback had something to do with it?

^ thanks barbee.. Mikes words on This Is It "now don't make me.. don't make me sing out when I shouldn't be singing out, I'm warming, Im trying to warm up my voice to this moment.."

KOPV;4193682 said:
^ thanks barbee.. Mikes words on This Is It "now don't make me.. don't make me sing out when I shouldn't be singing out, I'm warming, Im trying to warm up my voice to this moment.."

WOW, KOPV....Do I remember this, or what? I just absolutely love the film, “This Is It.” Out of all the songs in it, with “Human Nature,” the most recent, (what turned out to have been) final version of “I’ll Be There” — which was another instance of Michael having apologized (in my honest opinion) to his band members, for “trying to save [his] voice,” but doing that before finishing the song, instead of after — and, the brief little opening A Cappella snippet of “Speechless” from his “Invincible” album (with such amazing, natural, un-enhanced vocals that sounded nothing like what we might expect to have come from the throat of someone 50 years old) all tied for second place, my most favorite one throughout the whole, entire film is the duet of, “I Just Can’t Stop Loving You.”

From the time he started that segment off by singing some of the lyrics in Spanish (as, “Todo Mi Amor Eres Tú,” which is on the Special Edition version of his “BAD” album), and humming a few seconds of some of the most beautiful notes ever, during a short sound-check (....“Is there an echo, in here?”), Michael’s voice still maintained its quality, its beauty and “young” sound, in spite of his having been well into middle-age, at that point. Judith Hill, Michael’s duet partner, sounded great, too.

Towards the end of “I Just Can’t Stop Loving You,” Michael had hit some of the most incredible high notes since those he sang in “Butterflies’ ” second half, the couple of high notes he hit during his ad-libs he did near the end of the LIVE 2001 version of “I’ll Be There” (which was the last time he would ever reunite with his brothers, in celebration of his 30 years as a solo artist, at that time) and towards the end of the song, “All in Your Name,” when he sang with Barry Gibb. He did some great, wonderful vocal runs, too.

After Michael had finished singing with Judith Hill, his band members tried to encourage him* to “sing out” (*‘You can sing out, M.J. You know you could have if you wanted to, you know you felt it....’ or something like that, as I don’t remember the exact word-for-word of everything they said to him, in their trying to encourage him, but I hope I’m close enough) even telling him, “You better ‘sang”!!! But, he refused to do so, telling them: “No, no, no (that sounded more like, “N-n-n-no,” I think) — I shouldn’t be singing out....I’m trying to save my voice.”

As for the voice, in and of itself — YES, indeed, it had gotten even more powerful (not to say that it ever wasn’t, as it most definitely always was that way, throughout his whole, entire career), as its Lower Register had continued to expand downwards at the bottom, though somewhat slightly (at its lowest — further down from about “F2”-“F#2” in the Early- to Mid-1990’s, to “Eb2” by the Early-2000’s). The Upper Register, meanwhile, was maintained and never lost. The Lower Range of the voice had gotten a little slight bit deeper as the voice’s “owner,” if you will (Michael Jackson), had aged in his adult life, from 20 to 50 years old. Yet, amazingly, its Upper Register remained; Michael never lost his ability to not only hit higher notes, ranges and registers, but never lost his having been able to SING in them, too.

Last edited:
I think his vocals got much stronger between Thriller and Bad.
By the time the History Album came around, which I think was his best display of vocals, he had immense strength and sounds somewhat different than his Off the Wall/Thriller days.

When you say that his voice got deepen over the years so he usually sang in lower voice during when got older?

So you sayin that his voice actually got more power over the years what about
In invisible invisible

Rock with you33;4193709 said:
When you say that his voice got deepen over the years so he usually sang in lower voice during when got older?

Rock With You, Michael’s adult voice was, basically, an extremely High Tenor, that always did sound “young,” even as he aged. His Lower Register had expanded downwards, slightly, from what it had been in the Mid-1990’s. His voice wasn’t exactly what anyone would call “deep,” however, and Michael was still able to sing in his Upper Register, well into his 40’s (in the Early-2000’s) and again, at age 50, when in rehearsal for the “This Is It” shows. His Vocal Range had widened (in part, due to its Lower Register expansion) to at least 4 Octaves* (*if not more — as we may never truly know the extent of his vocal capabilities, to the fullest), according to his voice teacher and others who knew him well and worked with him.

His voice matured well, his overall tone did lower but has always had the same essence.. I personally think the Michael through his 50's - we could have heard some amazing (shock worthy) vocals.. Especially considering all he had been through etc. hearing his voice with a little more rasp, a little deeper yet still bringing that same soul.. I'm telling you, people would have talked about it..

Around History era - just think of the few seconds on 3T's I Need You. Man, oh man! The power in that voice (that comes right from the heart) gives me the goosebumps every single time.

His voice matured well, his overall tone did lower but has always had the same essence.. I personally think the Michael through his 50's - we could have heard some amazing (shock worthy) vocals.. Especially considering all he had been through etc. hearing his voice with a little more rasp, a little deeper yet still bringing that same soul.. I'm telling you, people would have talked about it..

Thx for reply so you think that if he had lived today he still gonna have powerful vocals?

To answer your question Rock With You33, yes I do think he would have had a powerful voice.. we would have heard registers that were before more infrequent, some wear at tear to his voice over the years most likely would have brought even more emotion behind those vocals than before.. He would have had to take good care of his voice, and possibly take more to warm up but as we know Michael did not record until he felt ready with his voice.. even in the mid 00's when he'd record it's been said he would warm up for a very long time.. I believe the story was he would lay on the floor and go through vocal changes over, over, and over..

Rock with you33;4194066 said:
What do you mean sound young?

Rock With You, when I say that Michael’s voice sounded “young,” I mean that it wasn’t what most people would normally consider a much “heavier” one, that automatically is associated with what the majority of adult Males have. His voice —— as it didn’t matter whether he sang or spoke, the same principle had applied —— was generally lighter in its tone, higher in pitch (overall, as a whole), and as he got older, it still sounded more like that of, maybe, a teenage boy going through the first beginnings of his puberty — even possibly having sounded “androgynous,” not strictly, exclusively, like either one gender or the other, of the TWO (and, only two) that are normally, naturally, in human existence — than like the typical, fully-grown “adult Male.”

Most men have much heavier, deeper, darker and richer-sounding voices (whether used in speech, in singing, or both) than most women, who generally have higher-pitched, lighter, thinner, softer and somewhat more delicate voices. Yet, and still, an adult Female voice differs from that of a young child.

ALL young (pre-pubescent) children have higher, lighter, thinner and softer voices than almost all adults. True, in a very few extremely rare cases, there are and have been men whose voices are so light, soft, thin and higher in pitch that their voices sounded either like those of women, like those of young teenagers, or like pre-pubescent children of either gender.

There have been, and are, women whose Contralto voices were/are so deep, dark, rich and heavy, that their sound, pitch, tone, etc., can very easily be mistaken for a man’s voice.

And, there children/young people whose voices had already started to mature at an extremely early age,* in every aspect of their sound quality (*as I am not talking about such things as “emotional expression” or “lyrical content of songs”/“subject matter of conversation and speech,” either). People will mistakenly think they hear an “adult” voice, let’s say, if they hear it for the first time and not know the identity of the speaker (or singer, for that matter) behind the voice, and didn’t know what age he or she was. What do you think?

Last edited:
Hi, everybody!!! It's been quite a long while, since the last time I even posted anything, here. What new information does anyone have about this subject matter? I would love to read new comments, to ?nd out if there is any more recent information pertaining to this thread.

Back