Ola Ray Sues the MJ Estate for "Thriller" Royalties

ILoveHIStory

Proud Member
EXCLUSIVE: Playboy cover girl and actress who played Michael Jackson's girlfriend in iconic Thriller music video to sue singer's estate for royalties following a new 3D version of the cult classic
*Ola Ray, the actress in Michael Jackson's iconic Thriller music video, is set to sue the late singer's estate for royalties that she says she's owed
*Director of the original music video, John Landis, premiered a 3D version of the cult classic at the Venice Film Festival on Monday
*Ray, who modeled for Playboy and was Playmate of the Month in 1980, claims she is owed money for this new version
*The 57-year-old says she is owed 2.5 percent of the total royalties from Thriller but has been paid less than $200,000 and lives below the poverty line
*Optimum Productions re-released the 3D clip - a move that could make millions

By http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ile=false#readerCommentsCommand-message-field

A Playboy model who starred alongside Michael Jackson in Thriller is set to sue the singer's estate for millions in royalties.

Ola Ray, 57, played the King of Pop's girlfriend in the 1983 cult classic music video, which has been viewed more than 437 million times on YouTube.

The former Playboy centerfold, from Los Angeles, tells DailyMail.com in an exclusive interview she's owed 2.5 percent of the total royalties from Thriller for her role in the production.

Ray claims she's been paid less than $200,000 in the 34 years since the iconic video was created and says she has been forced to live below the poverty line.

She is speaking out after Optimum Productions released the clip in 3D form at the Venice Film Festival on Monday, and is about to sue for royalties based on the new version.

Ray claims no one contacted her to let her know about the new film and was shunned from its world premiere as the company could make millions from the new version.

She now plans to bring the long-simmering battle to an end by taking the case to court in a bid to get what she's owed.

The mom-of-one said: 'I'm outraged, upset and in shock.

'When I heard rumors about a possible 3D version I contacted the director and said, "We need to talk about this," but he never responded to my email.

'They haven't tried to contact me or negotiate anything.

'How do they think they can just do this without paying me?

'These people are making millions of dollars out of me but all I have received over 30 years is $200,000.

'They will make millions more out of this.

'If I'm not getting paid, no one should be able to see it.

Ray was in her early twenties when she beat hundreds of other hopefuls to play Jackson's girlfriend in the original Thriller, released in 1983.

The 14-minute short went on to help MJ's Thriller album top the US chart for 37 weeks, selling a reputed 120 million copies and making it the best-selling record of all time.

Ray says she was initially only paid $2,500 for her part in the video, which she admits she would have done 'for nothing'.

But she claims MJ promised her 2.5 percent of the royalties from the Thriller film, which was the most expensive music video of its era with a budget of $500,000.

In 2012 the ex-glamour model was awarded $75,000 for back payment of royalties following a court battle but $20,000 of that went to her attorney.

Now Ray claims she should also be paid for the new 3D release of the video.

Director John Landis, who also directed the original Thriller, said the new film uses the 'latest available technology' and boasts of the 'highest quality audio and visual experience'.

Speaking at the Venice Film Festival, he also revealed that it is a preamble to bigger announcements and that two more Jackson legacy projects are to come.

Ray added : 'I was so excited about being in Thriller. I knew it was really big.

'I probably would have done it for nothing but Michael gave me a contract.

'Despite what I was promised I ended up having to raise my daughter, who is now 22, basically on welfare.

'I have had to live below my means and in poverty because of this.

'If I had been receiving the money I should have received my life would be drastically different.

'They are trying to be sneaky again, but I really, truly believe that I will get what's owed to me this time around.'

Attorney Scott Cole, who is advising Ray, said: 'It's shameful Ms. Ray wasn't invited and welcomed with open arms at the Venice festival.

'Ms. Ray had a central role in this iconic production.

'Shutting her out of her full royalties all these years hardly honors the memory of Michael or the spirit of the relevant contracts.'

Last month a jury ruled that Quincy Jones, who produced the Thriller album, was owed $9.4million in royalties and fees by Michael Jackson's estate.

The estate had contended that Jones was owed just $392,000.

Re: Ola Ray who played in iconic Thriller video to sue MJ's estate for royalties! v. 2017

Saw it coming. Last month she was complaining on her facebook page that they didn't let her know about Thriller 3D.

Last edited:
Re: Ola Ray who played in iconic Thriller video to sue MJ's estate for royalties! v. 2017

She saw Quincy got his so now it is her turn.

'These people are making millions of dollars out of me but all I have received over 30 years is $200,000.

Come on Ola no one is watching Thriller because of you.
No offense.

So, did she expect to do Thriller, then never have to work again??? WTF??? I'm not saying she isn't owed something, but it's the attitude, like she's living in poverty only because she hasn't been paid for royalties? Get a job!

Well, as Tmez said, "Why work when you can sue Michael Jackson". Or his estate in this case.

2.5 percent of the royalites eh? I suppose this is another case of no-one hearing the conversation and no documentation to prove it. It's getting old.

Did they present a contract when she won the 75K or did they just settle? I thought it would have been a nice gesture to fly her in for this, but apparently, there is still bad blood there.

Well, as Tmez said, "Why work when you can sue Michael Jackson". Or his estate in this case.

2.5 percent of the royalites eh? I suppose this is another case of no-one hearing the conversation and no documentation to prove it. It's getting old.

If i was the Estate she need to show a contract that she is suppose to get this amount you could be right a conversation nobody heard.

If i was the Estate she need to show a contract that she is suppose to get this amount you could be right a conversation nobody heard.
I just read elsewhere that she was a SAG member, and it was established in the last court case that she was the lead actress in the short film by SAG. So under her SAG contract, she would get royalties.

She probably should be getting royalties from all the video views too.

So, did she expect to do Thriller, then never have to work again??? WTF??? I'm not saying she isn't owed something, but it's the attitude, like she's living in poverty only because she hasn't been paid for royalties? Get a job!

Ridiculous, isn't it? Maybe Ola should have looked at how much MJ worked after Thriller. He didn't try to live of that one video for the rest of his life.

Ola Ray stop working after Thriller for personal reason you can read it here:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...es-michael-jackson-royalties-article-1.374275

So basically she is planning to live off the royalties why work. Ola said she would had did this for nothing but sense Michael promised her 2.5 percent of the royalties that change.

I don't know what her contract stated so I can't say anything good or bad..

If she has a contract that entitles her to receive royalties, then she should get them. If not, then not. Isn't it as easy as that?

It say that Ola was paid through Screen Actors Guild (SAG) so do not know if this is who she has her contract with.

Smh WHEN WILL THIS ISH STOP!!!!!!!??

Like KOPV said we really can't say anythings good or bad we don't know what in her contract and we do not know if Michael promise her 2.5 royalties from Thriller so we will just have to see what happen.

Like KOPV said we really can't say anythings good or bad we don't know what in her contract and we do not know if Michael promise her 2.5 royalties from Thriller so we will just have to see what happen.
I agree; however I do not trust Ola (she been on crack cocaine). If she think she deserved royals (Quincy I can understand because he was a producer) then I guess we see Iman for "Remember the time", Titiana for "The way you make me feel"; Naomi Campbell for "In the closet";etc.

^ Terrell, lets just see how this plays out a little (more info to come out).. Thriller 3D is a "new project" using her likeness/image etc... Side note, her having (or had) a drug problem has nothing to do with this. There are usually royalties paid out when there image is being used for profit.. ie. Tatiana did sue when her image was used on the MJ experience game.. and we jumped on her saying the girl in the game did not look like her..

Contract info will come out, Ola claimed before back in 2012 that her contract entitles her to a specific percent of revenue based off of video related merchandise. Now they are making new product(s) with her in it..

Honestly since Ola came after the Estate in 2012, I think it's silly that they would not burn out this fire before it started.. I mean, it's not really a surprise is it?

Last edited:

^ Terrell, lets just see how this plays out a little (more info to come out).. Thriller 3D is a "new project" using her likeness/image etc... Side note, her having (or had) a drug problem has nothing to do with this. There are usually royalties paid out when there image is being used for profit.. ie. Tatiana did sue when her image was used on the MJ experience game.. and we jumped on her saying the girl in the game did not look like her..

Contract info will come out, Ola claimed before back in 2012 that her contract entitles her to a specific percent of revenue based off of video related merchandise. Now they are making new product(s) with her in it..

Honestly since Ola came after the Estate in 2012, I think it's silly that they would not burn out this fire before it started.. I mean, it's not really a surprise is it?
I know but I am saying I do not trust her due to her past regardless if it has anything to do wit this or not. we do n NOT know but I would not be surprise.

^

She filed the lawsuit before Michaels death. I think it was connected with Landis lawsuit. The Estate gave her 55000 Dollar.

In the article it said A Jackson attorney reportedly paid an unspecified amount to Ray through the SAG in 1998 but it still fell short of what she was own as of today so now she is suing for the royalties and she want her fair share. Did Landis get anything on his lawsuit?

In the article it said A Jackson attorney reportedly paid an unspecified amount to Ray through the SAG in 1998 but it still fell short of what she was own as of today so now she is suing for the royalties and she want her fair share. Did Landis get anything on his lawsuit?
And she also got 75 thousand (well, her attorney mainly did) in 2012.

Yes, it's confidential, but Landis got millions and somehow he now owns part of Thriller, itself. BAD settlement, IMO.

I agree bad settlement.

Thriller 3D is prob part of the settlement. Branca gets to sit their as landis calls mj W.J

And she also got 75 thousand (well, her attorney mainly did) in 2012.

Yes, it's confidential, but Landis got millions and somehow he now owns part of Thriller, itself. BAD settlement, IMO.

She got 55000 Dollars and 20000 Dollars for the lawyer-cost.

I do not know how can say what Landis got when the settlement is confidential. I agree that the Thriller-3D-deal was made in the settlement-talk because it was made public with settlement-news.

If she's owed money that wasn't paid to her, she has every right to collect. No different then anyone else who isn't paid for a job they did.

What I don`t understand she will sue for royalities from Thriller 3 D, but until now it was only releasend on the film-festial. Isn`t this more a promotion for future-deals? I assume there was no roylalities-income from Thriller- 3D until now.
I doubt that she has to give permission to restore original material.

Maybe the zombies are the next who will sue the Estate, lol.

Oh no the zombies next was Janet one of those zombies?

You mean his sister?

Yes i either read it or heard it can't remember.

thriller-original-1024x576.jpg

Hard to tell in this picture. Their have on so much make-up so she can hide her face real good.

Last edited:
Back