I Just Can't Stop Loving You

valeryjackson

Proud Member
[video=youtube;TYCmmnGJoAw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYCmmnGJoAw[/video]

"I Just Can't Stop Loving You" is a 1987 duet ballad by Michael Jackson and Siedah Garrett, and was the first single released from his seventh album, Bad. The song was written by Jackson, and co-produced by Jackson and Quincy Jones. It reached #1 on the Billboard Hot 100, R&B and adult contemporary charts, making it the first in a string of 5 No. 1 singles from the album.

The song became the first of five consecutive number-one Hot 100 singles from the Bad album. It was Jackson's second number-one song on the AC chart (his first, coincidentally, had also been a duet: 1982's "The Girl Is Mine" with Paul McCartney).[2] It was released without an accompanying music video.

The presence of Garrett on the track was a last-minute decision by Jackson and Jones, after Jackson's first two choices for the duet, Barbra Streisand and Whitney Houston, both decided against participating. Garrett, a protégé of Jones's who co-wrote another song on Bad, "Man in the Mirror", did not know that she would be singing the song until the day of the recording session. It became her first hit since Dennis Edwards' 1984 song "Don't Look Any Further".

Jackson and Garrett later recorded "Todo Mi Amor Eres Tú", a Spanish-language version of the song, with lyrics translated by Rubén Blades, and "Je Ne Veux Pas La Fin De Nous", a French-language version, with translation by Christine "Coco" Decroix. All three versions are featured on the 2012 reissue album Bad 25. The original English-language version was re-released as a single in 2012, as part of the Bad 25 release.

Backgroud: For the duet ballad "I Just Can't Stop Loving You," Michael Jackson wanted to share vocals with Barbra Streisand or Whitney Houston. Both singers took a pass on the invitation. The co-duet duties were given to Siedah Garrett who had previously dueted on former Temptations member Dennis Edwards' "Don't Look Any Further." Garrett first came to the attention of producer Quincy Jones after auditioning for and winning a spot in the group Deco. She later signed as a recording artist with Jones' Warner Bros.-distributed Qwest Records. The singer was constantly sent song demos including one for "I Just Can't Stop Loving You," though she didn't know that the demo was a song written and sung by Jackson. While reporting for a recording session, Garrett thought that she was summoned to do overdubs for a song she'd co-written titled "Man in the Mirror." Instead she was surprised to learn that she'd been chosen to sing a duet with Jackson.To some, the wispy ballad was reminiscent of Jackson's Motown classic "Got to Be There."

The original album version of the song opened with Jackson cooing a tremulous spoken intro backed by a longer version of the opening music. According to Jackson, he recorded that part of his song while lying in bed. The intro went, in part, "I just want to lay next to you for awhile. You look so beautiful tonight... A lot of people misunderstand me. That's because they don't know me at all. I just want to touch you and hold you..."[4] This intro was mixed out on the 7" single, on future releases of Bad and on most compilation albums. An alternate version of the single, featuring the original mastered album version mix with the spoken word intro for "I Just Can't Stop Loving You" backed by the album outtake "Don't Be Messin' 'Round", was released in select Walmart stores in 2012 to mark the release of Bad 25.

Live performances
Jackson performed the song on his Bad World Tour with background singer Sheryl Crow and on his Dangerous World Tour with Siedah Garrett. He also performed the song at the Royal Concert in Brunei with Marva Hicks. Live versions of the song are available on the DVDs Live at Wembley July 16, 1988 and Live in Bucharest: The Dangerous Tour.

Jackson would have performed it on This Is It with Judith Hill, but the concert series was canceled due to his sudden death. However, this is a featured song in the movie Michael Jackson's This Is It. As a tribute to Jackson, Hill recorded and released a "sequel" to the song, entitled "I Will Always Be Missing You".

Lyrics:
[Intro]
I just want to lay next to you for awhile
You look so beautiful tonight
Your eyes are so lovely
Your mouth is so sweet
A lot of people misunderstand me
That's because they don't know me at all
I just want to touch you
And hold you
I need you
God I need you
I love you so much

(Michael)
Each time the wind blows
I hear your voice so
I call your name...
Whispers at morning
Our love is dawning
Heaven's glad you came

You know how I feel
This thing can't go wrong
I'm so proud to say I love you
Your love's got me high
I long to get by
This time is forever
Love is the answer

(Siedah)
I hear your voice now
You are my choice now
The love you bring
Heaven's in my heart
At your call I hear harps,
And angels sing

You know how I feel
I can't live my life without you

(Michael)
I just can't hold on

(Siedah)
I feel we belong

(Michael)
My life ain't worth living
If I can't be with you

(Both)
I just can't stop loving you
And if I stop...
Then tell me just what will I do

(Siedah)
'Cause I just can't stop loving you

(Michael)
At night when the stars shine
I pray in you I'll find
A love so true

(Siedah)
When morning awakes me
Will you come and take me
I'll wait for you

(Michael)
You know how I feel
I won't stop until
I hear your voice saying "I do"

(Siedah)
"I do"

(Michael)
This feeling's so strong

(Siedah)
Well, my life ain't worth living
(
Both)
If I can't be with you
And if I stop...
Then tell me, just what will I do

(Michael)

(Siedah)
We can change all the world tomorrow

(Michael)
We can sing songs of yesterday

(Siedah)
I can say, hey...farewell to sorrowv

(Michael)
This is my life and I,

(Both)
Want to see you for always

(Siedah)
No, baby

(Michael)
Oh!

(Both)

(Siedah)
If I can't stop!

(Both)
And if I stop

(Siedah)
No

(Michael)
Oh! Oh! Oh... Oh ...

(Siedah)
What will I do? Uh ... Ooh ..
(Then tell, just what will I do)

(Both)

(Michael)
Hee! Hee! Hee! Know I do girl!

(Both)

(Michael)
You know I do
And if I stop ...

(Both)
The tell me, just what will I do

I bought the cd-single from Bad25 a few months ago so I now have the remastered track with spoken intro :)

Jackson would have performed it on This Is It with Judith Hill, but the concert series was canceled due to his sudden death. However, this is a featured song in the movie Michael Jackson's This Is It. As a tribute to Jackson, Hill recorded and released a "sequel" to the song, entitled "I Will Always Be Missing You".

Siedah recorded a beautiful "sequel" as well, entitled, "I'm Gonna Keep on Lovin' You."

I didn't know this song by Siedah Garrett, it's beautiful indeed, very moving. What a lovely tribute. :)

Back