Thriller

NuTNC

Proud Member

Released
Album Worldwide: 11.02.1983
US Single: 01.23.1984

Originally, when I did my 'Thriller' demo, I called it 'Starlight'. Quincy said to me, "You managed to come up with a title for the last album, see what you can do for this album.' I said, "Oh great," so I went back to the hotel, wrote two or three hundred titles, and came up with the title 'Midnight Man'. The next morning, I woke up, and I just said this word... Something in my head just said, this is the title. You could visualize it on the top of the Billboard charts. You could see the merchandising for this one word, how it jumped off the page as 'Thriller'.
-Rod Temperton

I actually think that 'starlight' had a better concept, as it was more positive. then again, we wouldn't have gotten the legendary 'thriller' short film had it been fleshed out. probably an early version of captain eo?

Michael gave funk to that routine in 'thriler'! never seen anyone execute it with such detail. I also class the way he moved around ola as dancing, and a highlight.

Okay let’s bump this forgotten thread in the light of how Thriller conquered the world.

If if it wasn’t for the huge success of Thriller I wouldn’t have know MJ I suppose as his stardom really went into orbit with this album.

I do love Thriller I especially love the special effects and MJ morphing into a werewolf and then later into a zombie and I think that there the love for horror movies began lol

though I always fretted why Michael’s jeans was not worn out just like his jacket. It seemed out of sync to me. :rolleyes:

I do do love how Michael incorporates stories into his short films. It’s like a mini movie with a soundtrack. It’s taking the song to a whole other level.

It is worth noting that the release of the ‘Thriller’ single & music video played a crucial role in the sales of that album.

In other words, sales of the ‘Thriller’ album did not really explode until the ‘Thriller’ single with its accompanying music video came out.

The huge success of the ‘Thriller’ album (which led to MJ’s inclusion on The Guinness Book of Records back then) made MJ feel for the first time that he accomplished something.

“… for the first time in my entire career I feel like I have accomplished something because I’m in The Guinness Book of Records!” (Michael Jackson, February 1984)

Also, the big sales of the 'Thriller' album (that reached 10 million copies worldwide during that period) helped the music business to overcome a very serious slump.

Additionally, the success of that album set a new benchmark for blockbusters, meaning it changed the rules in the record industry regarding the way of promoting & marketing various, major music releases.

loved that brief moment where Michael stepped outside of the routine. didn't even break a sweat! his energy was unmatched! the brighter lights and alternative angles allowed me to see things I missed in the final version. the dancers also compliment him better as opposed to 'beat it'. each thing he did that year showed growth in some way :)

this is the version I regularly watch. the only thing that's missing is the dance alongside ola. still gives an outline of the story without the unpleasant/scary (for some) parts
likewise, this is the version I listen to. I feel it's better without the spoken part at the end - which not only made the song too long, but also went a bit too far lyrically..

Back