NuTNC

Proud Member
'Who Is It?'
Released: UK - 08.31.1992, US: 03.29.1993

Music video
Directed by David Fincher
this mv did not initially air in the USA

One of my favorite song...

Michael once said “whatever I sing, that’s what I really mean. like, I’m singing a song, I don’t sing it if I don’t mean it.”, this was so important to him that he even quoted himself saying this as a child in his “HIStory” song.

My point is that there is very little chance that “Who is it” was written by Michael as a love song, especially when knowing the love stories Michael had in his life…

Now, we can notice the melody of “who is it” pre-chorus (“she promised me forever a day we would live as one, we made our vows we would live a life anew”) is the same as “price of fame” song pre-chorus (“father always told me you won’t live a quiet life if you’re reaching for fortune and fame”)

note also that “price of fame” was about the counterparts of success, and was meant to appear on “Bad” album, which Michael expected to oversell his previous “Thriller” album…. “Who is it” is about doubts and disappointment and was recorded for the album that just came after “Bad”…

so my bet is that behind the lyrics, Michael is singing about fame, not about a girl… definitely one of my favorite song.

holmi;4212259 said:

Michael once said “whatever I sing, that’s what I really mean. like, I’m singing a song, I don’t sing it if I don’t mean it.”, this was so important to him that he even quoted himself saying this as a child in his “HIStory” song.

My point is that there is very little chance that “Who is it” was written by Michael as a love song, especially when knowing the love stories Michael had in his life…

Now, we can notice the melody of “who is it” pre-chorus (“she promised me forever a day we would live as one, we made our vows we would live a life anew”) is the same as “price of fame” song pre-chorus (“father always told me you won’t live a quiet life if you’re reaching for fortune and fame”)

note also that “price of fame” was about the counterparts of success, and was meant to appear on “Bad” album, which Michael expected to oversell his previous “Thriller” album…. “Who is it” is about doubts and disappointment and was recorded for the album that just came after “Bad”…

so my bet is that behind the lyrics, Michael is singing about fame, not about a girl… definitely one of my favorite song.
Wow. Ive never thought of this

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

holmi;4212259 said:

Interesting point of view! I have never thought of it that way!

That is indeed a cool point of view as the video portrayed it’s all about the girl but the hidden meaning could be about fame too. :tongue:

I love the video so mysterious and so lifelike as this is what fame does to your love life. People only love you for your money and status and not who you really are. Just a lonely life when you reach fame. :(

Apart from the story, I love the melody with such wrenched emotions in it. It’s one of my fave songs indeed.

Keep the discussion going please :D

holmi;4212259 said:

It's one of my favourite songs, too, but I'm having trouble matching the lyrics up with the concept of fame.
I still think it's about infidelity and abandonment.

Back