We Are The World (Demo)

analogue

Proud Member
Does anyone else prefer this over the USA For Africa version? Maybe I'm biased, because the demo just has MJ singing, but I just think it sounds better. And I think the lyrics are better.

I certainly do. Lyrically it's better and obviously it has just MJ singing it. I always love the sharla ad libs at the end. That's a thing of beauty.

I find it surprising that MJ only sings a tiny bit on the official version, considering he wrote most of the song. The ending part with Stevie Wonder and Bruce Springsteen, that should have been Michael Jackson & Stevie Wonder. I'm not a fan of Bruce's voice.

Last edited:
Aside from the fact you can tell it's a demo and the official version has a full production. Yes! I do love the actual release though, it's an actual complete song.

The demo is incredibly charming. I absolutely adore the "sha-lum sha-lin-gay" lines during the key change.

I largely prefer the solo version because, as great as the super group recording is, there are a few vocalists featured that I just cannot stand to listen to. Having a version that is just Michael is a thing of beauty.

The lyrics on the USAFA version got a little too religious for me.

^ funny enough the controversy revolving the song and religion is that some say it's "Anti Christian" hiding under a religious tone.

As mentioned, the ending "chant" and adlibs is great on the demo. I do wish they had included it in the final version. Due to the fact the song is about coming together it is fitting for it to be sung by numerous artists and is put together nicely. Of course, it would have been nice to have more Michael but he did get one line of the bridge and one chorus (mostly) to himself. I suspect the overtly religious references stemmed mostly from Lionel.

The demo is incredibly charming. I absolutely adore the "sha-lum sha-lin-gay" lines during the key change.

I largely prefer the solo version because, as great as the super group recording is, there are a few vocalists featured that I just cannot stand to listen to. Having a version that is just Michael is a thing of beauty.

I Love the "sha lum sha lin gay" and the "aaahhh-s" in the background.

The solo version is really intimate and charming, but man, Stevie Wonder, Steve Perry, Bruce Springsteen & Ray Charles together in one song? I just adore the official version

I think the demo is miles better, because it's raw and honest, it comes from the soul. Michael meant every line

While it is nice to hear Michael singing more, I don't think the song would have had even half the influence or lasting impact if he just released it as a solo single, without all of the big stars of the time.

^ I'll have to agree with that.. The image of the music industry coming together along with the "Hands Across America", USA for Africa - and all the other involvement from people with the projects surrounding the song..

The impact that song had went far past the song itself.

i dont think ive ever heard the demo for it

it's always better to hear more of Michael, and hearing an alternative version is a great way to chart the song's evolution.

however, the demo was just that. the vocals, lyrics, and production were incomplete, and unsuitable for release at that stage. it was strange to hear him sing in a lower range on the verses. he was often shaky and out of tune.

he was always a 'high' singer to me. the solo outtakes from the final recordings (which I love!) prove this. I agree that he should have had more parts on the final. maybe a second chorus and some ad-libs towards the end?

still, it ended up being classic. bringing such a diverse group of singers, and arranging them in 'mini duets' was a stroke of genius. I like the way the song builds gradually as an inspiring anthem.

the lyrics (especially the first verse) are clear, constructive, universal, and most importantly; heartfelt. Michael was religious, so that element was always going to be there. even 'billie jean' made biblical references ('40 days and for 40 nights..'). he claimed it was part of his creative inspiration. that, along with children and animals/nature, shaped the *essence* of who he was :)

'we are the world' was a song that Michael was rightfully proud of. it was one of the original and most recognisable humanitarian songs, that set the standard.

this small clip from the rehearsal shows Michael singing a bit of the verses between recording. I don't remember seeing this on the dvd originally. he was smooth and effortless :)
this is the full version that shows his range. so happy these were made available! :)

This can’t be the original demo for we are the world. This had to be recorded after 1985 (probably for the unreleased decade album). There’s a early demo played during the deposition that includes Lionel Richie and a couple days before the official recording, they cut another demo of the song. Plus his vocal style on this is similar to his later years (post-bad)

Back