can't get outta the rain

maidenman

Proud Member
As I understand it, Can't Get Outta The Rain is just the second half of "You Can't Win" with the word "game" changed to "rain." Anyone know the story behind this one? It seems quite odd.

I think it's just a studio jam to be honest, there's very little to it. I think it was the B-side to Billie Jean??

Yea I've always wanted to know the story behind it myself. I was always like whats up with this song. Something about it is not right & why was it even released. I don't like it myself because i prefer you can't win any day

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

If I remember correctly, Quincy Jones once mentioned that Michael really didn't like the defeatist message of "You can't win".

So my personal theory was that when they re-recorded "You can't win" as a disco track, "Can't get outta the rain" was recorded as a less depressing alternative.
(Although Wikipedia states that the overdub was done in 1982, I'm not convinced it was actually recorded in 1982.)

But Wikipedia also points out that "Can't get outta the rain" lists Michael Jackson and Quincy Jones as the writers, rather than Charlie Smalls (who wrote "You can't win"), so it might have been an issue of rights or royalties.

Neal Scott
3 years ago
this ain't nothing but ''you can't win'' written by charlie smalls.from ''the wiz'' all someone did was slap a different title on it at epic records. .................................................................................................................peace.?

83jdc1
2 years ago
No this is a completely different song. It was changed to be in the Off the Wall album and then changed again to be on thriller but didn't make either.?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW7NWV8lA4E

I personally like the two as two separate songs.. When I heard them combined (I think first on ultimate collection) I'm like MAN they ruined 'You Can't Win' and cut "Can't Get Out of The Rain".. Can't hear either song in full when tying them together.

The ending of You Can't Win in the film... Love it!

Did Michael re-record it for Thriller? Recorded new vocals or the vocals are exactly the same from The Wiz (Off The Wall)?

I personally like the two as two separate songs.. When I heard them combined (I think first on ultimate collection) I'm like MAN they ruined 'You Can't Win' and cut "Can't Get Out of The Rain".. Can't hear either song in full when tying them together.

The ending of You Can't Win in the film... Love it!

Can't Get Out of the Rain isn't even a full song! It's just the title of the song repeated over and over!

^ And I still enjoyed it! More so though, cutting out a lot of 'You Can't Win' is the big upset for me.. like I said, that ending! awesome

You Can't Win

Can't Get Out of the Rain isn't even a full song! It's just the title of the song repeated over and over!
There's a lot of songs like that, especially in smooth jazz. It's kinda common in gospel & blues too. When George Harrison had a big hit with I Got My Mind Set On You, Weird Al did a version called This Song's Just Six Words Long. :rofl: The Beatles Why Don't We Do It In The Road basically repeats the same thing the entire song. I think in a way Can't Get Outta The Rain is like a scatting song. Scat singing doesn't involve words & lyrics at all. In the 1970s, long songs were often divided as part 1 & part 2 on a 45. There was a lot of James Brown & Isley Brothers songs like this. Rain is the part 2 of the 12" single version of You Can't Win, which was recorded for clubs/discos, because people wanted longer songs to dance to. Here's a picture disc 45 single
tumblr_p3bxjmajMa1rw606ko1_r1_500.jpg

45s

Thriller actually. I have a 45 record hanging on my wall that I found at a thrift store with it. :)
It's on several 45s. I have it as the b-side of The Girl Is Mine and Billie Jean. I have the maxi single of You Can't Win too.

Love the the jam in combo with you can't win. It is exactly what I wanted from MJ as an artist, an aspect he should have explored more.

parts 1 and 2 aren't split evenly.

I wonder if Michael only added 'rain' or re-sang that entire section?

either way the version that appears in the movie and the soundtrack album make the most sense. though I prefer the instrumentation of part 1

Back