Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 646 Posts

Default Re: When Were Songs Recorded?

Quote Originally Posted by dethorro View Post
    Also, I have found the multitrack sheets of some of the songs from the Bad album on which Bruce Swedien has written dates of when particular instruments (including vocals and Background vocals) have been recorded.(Sorry for posting two posts in a row).

Liberian Girl:

Lead vocal: September 26th 1986
    Background vocals: October 3rd 1986
    Bass:May 8th 1987

Dirty Diana:
    Lead vocals:June 27th 1987
    Steve Stevens guitar solos: June 12th 1987
    Strings:June 27th 1987

I Just Can't Stop Loving You:
    Lead Vocals(MJ&Siedah):May 20th 1987
    Background vocals: December 27th 1986
    Rap Intro:June 8th 1987
    Piano: December 26th 1986

Smooth Criminal:
    Lead vocals:April 1st 1987
    Background vocals:September 14th 1986
    Bass:September 8th 1986
    Emergency siren:June 1st 1987

Leave Me Alone:
    Lead vocals:June 14th 1987
    Guitar: June 3rd 1987
    Synth: June 3rd 1987

Just Good Friends:

Lead vocals (MJ&Stevie): June (or May) 18th 1987
    Background vocals:June (or May) 18th 1987
    Piano:May 28th 1987
    Horns:May 18th 1987
    Synths:May 27th 1987

The Bad sessions at Westlake Studios started on August 4th 1986 (Source:Rolling Stone).
    Thank you for sharing. I've always been interested to know when songs were recorded. I'm so jealous of Beatles fans who can tell you the date, the exact time and how many sugars Ringo had in his tea. Yet we're here like, I think Mike recorded it between 1983 and 87

Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 320
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,334 Times in 1,568 Posts

I actually spoke to Brad Sundberg about multitrack sheets a month or two back, and it turns out that the dates can be wildly misleading. Sometimes they're days when vocals were recorded, sometimes they're days when comps (edits of a certain track) were made, sometimes they're days when extra vocals were added to pre-existing vocals, etc.

On top of that, some of the listed dates don't add up. The "Smooth Criminal" short film was filmed in February 1987, meaning the April 1 date wouldn't line up. (Perhaps that was the day they chose to cut the second verse in half?) Also, Joe Vogel has the "Just Good Friends" session pinned on 23 September 1986 (though of course it's worth noting that he isn't the most credible source).

I also thought that the multitrack sheets were the pot at the end of the rainbow, but Michael's recording process seemed to be incredibly complicated. It's hard to pin down exactly when certain songs were recorded. The hunt continues!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysThere For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 47
    Overall activity: 72.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registeredOverdrive1000 Experience PointsThree Friends

Level
    Thanks

[QUOTE=AlwaysThere;4274594]The "Smooth Criminal" short film was filmed in February 1987, meaning the April 1 date wouldn't line up. (Perhaps that was the day they chose to cut the second verse in half?) Also, Joe Vogel has the "Just Good Friends" session pinned on 23 September 1986 (though of course it's worth noting that he isn't the most credible source).
    /QUOTE]

I agree with you on the 'Smooth Criminal' argument, however, I don't think 'Just Good Friends' was recorded that early on in the sessions.Michael's hair is much longer in the video where he is recording it with Stevie than it was in September 1986. Also, Mike Smallcombe stated that Quincy first started to contact other songwriters around February 1987 and that 'Man In The Mirror' and 'Just Good Friends' were two of many songs submitted.
    I feel like Joe Vogel took the September 23rd date from the 'Bad 25' documentary (although the date incorrectly says 'September 23rd 1988').Obviously the session couldn't have happened in September 1987 or 1988, so he just assumed that the year was 1986.

Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 120
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

I find it ironic that leave me alone was finish before the release of the album. I wonder why its not on the original vinyl or replaced jgf. This is the most interesting topic in the past months.
    On a side note...does anyone have any information on come together?

Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 120
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

[QUOTE=dethorro;4274689]
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysThere View Post
    I agree with you on the 'Smooth Criminal' argument, however, I don't think 'Just Good Michael's hair is much longer in the video where he is recording it with Stevie than it was in September 1986. .
    You do know that the sessions we saw were for a documentary mj planned to release but got shelved. Those arent the actual sessions. They were more for show. Look at the sleeve cover of the single ijcsly vs the session we see on bad 25

Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 47
    Overall activity: 72.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registeredOverdrive1000 Experience PointsThree Friends

Level
    Thanks

[QUOTE=wonderouzmj;4274737]
    Quote Originally Posted by dethorro View Post
    You do know that the sessions we saw were for a documentary mj planned to release but got shelved. Those arent the actual sessions. They were more for show. Look at the sleeve cover of the single ijcsly vs the session we see on bad 25

Are you sure? I mean, I’ve heard of the supposed documentary that Michael was planning to release during the Bad era and I always thought that the ‘I Just Can’t Stop Loving You’ part of the Spike Lee documentary was ‘only for show’ but I never imagined that Michael would have brought Stevie Wonder, who was immensely popular and had concerts all around the world in 1986/87 to the studio to pretend they were recording a song together (even though they were close friends).
    Also, Michael and Stevie are actually singing in the 'Just Good Friends' footage so I don't know about that.

Regarding ‘Come Together’:

‘’He had written sixty-two songs, and during 1985 he recorded dozens of forty-eight-track demos at his home studio, including a cover of “Come Together,” one of his favorite Beatles tunes.’’ - Rolling Stone, September 24th 1987

This is what Bill Botrell had to say about ‘Come Together’

Bill:’’ During the Bad sessions, Michael asked me to drive him home to Westwood one night. During the drive, we played lots of Beatles songs he had compiled on a tape, he was pretty interested in my opinion, and I told him we should pick Come Together.
    Within a couple days I had thrown a track together playing guitars and using some crude midi stuff. (This was 1985) I never intended that track to be released that way
    They put it out without informing me, and I still don’t know what the credits say.’’

So it seems like that one was recorded in 1985 at Michael's house.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dethorro For This Useful Post: