MJ and Diana Ross

La74

Proud Member

What do you think about the relationship between MJ and Diana Ross. He implied that they were more than just friends for many years even in the book Moonwalk but never said it straight out.

Bleeeech. :( The 'relationship' is a whole lot of eeeeewww as far as I'm concerned.

I love that video though. Especially when Michael snatches the microphone and OWNS the end of the song. Lol.

Not sure about their relationship, they looked and sounded great together though.

the relationship, I read into it a specific way but it is simply based on what we've heard Michael say and putting 2 and 2 together.. In the end of the day its my own speculation that if I stated what I thought went down, I wouldn't want to be attacked for it.. so I guess I'll keep to myself for now lol

Now she is the woman who he truly loved. He called her his mother-lover-friend. He admitted he was jealous when she got married the late 80's. And when he gets around her, you can see he wanted her but she loved him more like a son. MJ wanted more. He had REAL love for her and it showed in his eyes and even in this old footage and lets not forget MJ at Bill Clinton's aguration with Diana. He moved everyone to get by her. Look at the World Music Award 1996 when she sat in his lap. Look how he was looking at her during and at the end and then went up to be on stage with her. Look at his eyes and how his personally change to a man who desire to be with that woman. Look at WE are the World. look how he was looking at her when he went to the grammys with Liz taylor but look how he was looking at Diana. MJ has NEVER had to try to convince no one or the public that he loved Diana. It SHOWS and people can see it. This is the difference in CARING for someone compare to being IN LOVE with someone. He was always IN LOVE with Diana. And lets not forget he put her in his WILL and she did not even know it. She is beautiful and still is.

Last edited:
He gave an Ebony interview in 1981, saying that he wants to marry Diana and does not care about age difference. That was not just said.
He meant it completely seriously. You can almost say that was a public marriage proposal.

And one can truly say that in this Monaco video you literally see how all his feelings for her are back or maybe they were never really gone.

He gave an Ebony interview in 1981, saying that he wants to marry Diana and does not care about age difference. That was not just said.
He meant it completely seriously. You can almost say that was a public marriage proposal.

I don't remember any Ebony interview in 1981, where he said those words. There's a 1982 Ebony interview on the set of "Beat It", where he refers to Jane Fonda and Diana Ross as friends and also says that he is only just beginning to learn about friendship.

Can you post a transcript or a YT video of your 1981 interview, by any chance?

Michael says he wants a "real nice place for my mother, because we're very, very close, you know" and "I want it to be real nice because this is where I plan to spend most of my time until I get married and move to Switzerland."

Married? When?

"I'm not saying, but it'll be sooner or later, and I definitely plan to do it."

Michael and actress Tatum O'Neal were a "hot" item in gossip columns for several years, so the question, Will Tatum O'Neal be the lucky girl?

"I'm not saying. But I will say that Tatum and I had a really serious relationship. We both are so busy that things have cooled off, but we're still good friends."

Have you had very much experience with women?

"No, just Tatum."

What about sex?

"I believe you should be married before getting into any heavy stuff."

Anybody you're serious about now?

"Well, Brooke Shields and I talk a lot on the phone - an awful lot."

So are you going with her?

"Just say we talk a lot."

Any black ladies in your life?

"Sure, but you wouldn't take me seriously."

Try me.

"It's Diana Ross. I love her."

Do you mean as a "big sister"?

"No, that's not what I mean. See, I told you that you wouldn't take me seriously."

You're not saying you'd like to marry Diana Ross, are you?

"Oh yeah, I'm saying that."

But she's so much older than you. You mean you feel something other than close friendship for her?

"Uh huh. And what does age have to do with it? Look at it this way: how old would you be if you didn't even know how old you are?"

https://books.google.de/books?id=6N...get married and move to Switzerland."&f=false

Annita, my mother still have this issue. LOL. You were able to print/post it.

Michael says he wants a "real nice place for my mother, because we're very, very close, you know" and "I want it to be real nice because this is where I plan to spend most of my time until I get married and move to Switzerland."

Married? When?

"I'm not saying, but it'll be sooner or later, and I definitely plan to do it."

Michael and actress Tatum O'Neal were a "hot" item in gossip columns for several years, so the question, Will Tatum O'Neal be the lucky girl?

"I'm not saying. But I will say that Tatum and I had a really serious relationship. We both are so busy that things have cooled off, but we're still good friends."

Have you had very much experience with women?

"No, just Tatum."

What about sex?

"I believe you should be married before getting into any heavy stuff."

Anybody you're serious about now?

"Well, Brooke Shields and I talk a lot on the phone - an awful lot."

So are you going with her?

"Just say we talk a lot."

Any black ladies in your life?

"Sure, but you wouldn't take me seriously."

Try me.

"It's Diana Ross. I love her."

Do you mean as a "big sister"?

"No, that's not what I mean. See, I told you that you wouldn't take me seriously."

You're not saying you'd like to marry Diana Ross, are you?

"Oh yeah, I'm saying that."

But she's so much older than you. You mean you feel something other than close friendship for her?

"Uh huh. And what does age have to do with it? Look at it this way: how old would you be if you didn't even know how old you are?"

https://books.google.de/books?id=6N...get married and move to Switzerland."&f=false

Thank you. I do remember this interview, now that I've read it once more. It was in 1982, not 1981, which is why I couldn't place it, when you first mentioned it. I don't think anyone really took that entire comment of his seriously, at all. Diana Ross included, obviously, considering she married someone else in Switzerland, not Michael. He said, years later, when speaking of the relationship in the Glenda tapes, that "it was all in his own head." I think maybe he was just trying to appear worldly and manly, for the media machine. He was also exaggerating his relationship with Tatum in this interview, I see, because it definitely wasn't "serious" in any way, shape, or form and Tatum has confirmed this.

Well we all know Michael did not marry Diana, but that does not mean he wished it. For me the interview was a open love declaration to Diana but Diana rejected.
We all know she married another man and he was hurt about it. He spoke more then once about it and in the Glenda-tapes he said it took him along time to come over it and he maybe never was really over it. And in situation like Monacco you can see his Feelings are coming back.
I don`t think he exaggerated the realtionship to Tatum nor to Brookes in the interview. In fact he stated nothing happend and he has no interest in a love-relation-ship with them because his love belongs Diana. I think also in the Glenda tapes he stated he had not have a intim relation-ship with a woman since yet.
He confirmed also in the Rabbi-Tapes and in the Bashir-documantation that nothing intimitate happened with Brooke or Tatum because he rejected in the times it could happen.

I always thought that Michaels heart break over Diana wasn't just because of his love/infatuation with her. I believe she lead him on.. He was impressionable and I think Diana unintentionally (or intentionally) played with that.. Complimenting his looks, or just making him feel she felt specific ways back to him. Details of course I was not there, but that is the strong impression I get from the various things Michael has said, what I've seen, and what makes sense to me.

Back