Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MJ Musical 'Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough' [General Discussion]

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 116
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Default Re: A new musical inspired by the life of Michael Jackson is heading to Broadway!

Quote Originally Posted by Hess View Post
    I think "Childhood" will no doubt be incorporated and it could be beautiful.
    That would be perfect! One Night Only kind of performance maybe. But sure is essential to tell his story.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Default Re: A new musical inspired by the life of Michael Jackson is heading to Broadway!

Quote Originally Posted by michaelsfedora View Post
    well well well, is good to know with so much time ahead where my vactions of 2020 will be...
    Same here, ha ha! Never been to NYC.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wednesday For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

In my opinion it's just milking Michael. The artist himself is gone, and with him is any interest I have in projects that he is not involved in/ has no say in. That said, if peeps get to know his music through Broadway, good for them, I guess. I couldn't care for the Las Vegas show, so I'll see with this Broadway production.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,763 Times in 2,231 Posts

Broadway presence is not a bad thing.. if it's for money or whatever reason.. a broadway show representing Michael in a positive light.. come on how are we gonna bring out the bad in everything?

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KOPV For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 199
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

👏👏👏😀😀😀

Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,569 Times in 1,515 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wednesday View Post
    That would be perfect! One Night Only kind of performance maybe. But sure is essential to tell his story.
    My thoughts exactly - a musical about MJ can not be made without Childhood...

Quote Originally Posted by KOPV View Post
    Broadway presence is not a bad thing.. if it's for money or whatever reason.. a broadway show representing Michael in a positive light.. come on how are we gonna bring out the bad in everything?
    It's beyond me too… This is a great move from the Estate - and a great way to both make money (as they should and need to!) but do it in a respectful way and make people know more about MJ - both his life and his music.

It's a win-win-win all the way around. - This and Cirque Du Soleil is propably the best decisions The Estate has made IMO. - It's entertaining and great - just like MJ wanted it. - He would be very proud I'm sure to have his own musical on Broadway.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Ahess/videos - me dancing MJ - many years ago.

I would be really glad if you rated or/and commented the videos. Thanks

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hess For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 833
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,693 Times in 1,330 Posts

It`s a great move and hopefully as great as MJOne or even greater.
    I did not see one review from a fan or a person other who saw MJOne, who was disappointed. It must be a sensational show and far better than the Immortal-World-Tour.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Of course Michael would be very proud. He was a fan of broadway!

And for those who complain about the estate only doing this for money well... that's a good thing, we do realize that the more successful (money making) projects the estate takes part of helps right?

Any project we want takes funding, and the more money they make from MJ projects the more insured they'll be to do more projects and feel comfortable enough to invest into more stuff..

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KOPV For This Useful Post:

ChrisC

You can always rely on KOPV to stick up for the Estate! haha

any interest I have in projects that he is not involved in/ has no say in.
    I know where you're coming from and I definitely felt that way about the animated special (which I still haven't seen). But to me the Broadway show idea works fine without Michael's direct input - I don't think it's necessary. To me, an outsider's perspective may even be more effective where a theatre production of this ilk is concerned. I think I look at the theatre/stage productions like MJ One and this as a tribute by nature, on a grand scale, and that's something I absolutely want to see. Whereas the animated special to me was trying to come off as something Michael 'would have done' or 'started the idea of but didn't finish'.

My only hope is that they do Michael's name justice and have a hit which is no easy feat. I do wonder where this will leave Thriller Live though IF this new show is a success.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisC For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 273
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,284 Times in 702 Posts

If this is done well it could be huge.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to SmoothGangsta For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Lol well I just think the estate gets too much crap.. dont get me wrong, there a been stuff that I've found upsetting and theres alot i would change..

I just cant sit there and pretend I know better and would do better when I have no idea what sitting in those seats really means in the big scheme of things.. I do know that many fans of celebs that pass have issues with the people that manage that artists work/projects..

It's more so the phenomenon of "he/she would not want it this way if they were here" over actually doing a bad job.. we always feel like we know what's best for Michael's legacy because in some regard hes our baby and we want to take care of what he leaves behind..

Everyone has different "parenting" skills

18. The Following User Says Thank You to KOPV For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Overall activity: 99.2%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsYour first Group
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

In my opinion it's just milking Michael. The artist himself is gone, and with him is any interest I have in projects that he is not involved in/ has no say in. That said, if peeps get to know his music through Broadway, good for them, I guess. I couldn't care for the Las Vegas show, so I'll see with this Broadway production.
    You feel that they are "milking" Michael? Well, I get what you are saying. But we cannot bring Michael back. And this decision to put his life in a play won't be destructive as longa s they stay true to the story and do the best they can. It seems positive. But if you don't want to give your money to the Estate (they have not always been fair to Michael), it's best to ignore this event.

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 50
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveTagger Second Class5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,477 Times in 698 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    Y
    My only hope is that they do Michael's name justice and have a hit which is no easy feat. I do wonder where this will leave Thriller Live though IF this new show is a success.
    Thriller Live has been going strong for many years - it began before Michael passed away - and is based in London if I'm not mistaken. Broadway is in New York, so I really don't think that a Broadway musical will harm the bottom line of Thriller Live. All it does is allow broader access (for audiences) to Michael's life story and his music, which can only be a good thing, when the right professionals are involved at the concept and creation phases.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikky Dee For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 50
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveTagger Second Class5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,477 Times in 698 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KOPV View Post
    Of course Michael would be very proud. He was a fan of broadway!

And for those who complain about the estate only doing this for money well... that's a good thing.
    Absolutely. People forget that one of the key objectives of the Estate is to generate income and this is done, partly through new (and successful) projects. This is how debt has been paid off, charities supported, lawsuits funded and the lives of the heirs enriched.
    The Estate pays for many incidentals that most fans aren't aware of, as well - Joe Jackson's medical care, for example.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikky Dee For This Useful Post:

ChrisC

Quote Originally Posted by Mikky Dee View Post
    Thriller Live has been going strong for many years - it began before Michael passed away - and is based in London if I'm not mistaken.
    Yeah I'm sound with my geography. Shows that do well on Broadway tend to make their way to the West End in London as well. And shows that do well in London's West End tend to go on tour and play theatres throughout the UK. This would put the Broadway show directly in competition with Thriller Live - a show the Estate do not profit from but have permitted the use of Michael's music in (as is my understanding).

This scenario of course relies on the Broadway show being a big hit, which I think I had indicated.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisC For This Useful Post: