Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    3 months registeredOverdrive5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,214 Times in 1,138 Posts

Default Re: The Michael Jackson Musical: 'MJ'

Quote Originally Posted by myosotis View Post
    He's apologised for the black-face performance. I think his apology to Michael will take a (much) longer wait....

JIMMY FALLON VERY SORRY' FOR BLACKFACE SKETCH ON 'SNL' ...
    'No Excuse' for This

It took 20 years, but Jimmy Fallon's impersonation of Chris Rock on "Saturday Night Live" -- which he did in blackface -- has come back to bite him.

It seems unbelievable, but much like Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau last year, Fallon's late to learn the lesson that doing blackface at any point in your past is something that won't stay secret.

Fallon says, "I made a terrible decision to do an impersonation of Chris Rock while in blackface. There is no excuse for this."

He adds ... "I am very sorry for making this unquestionably offensive decision and thank all of you for holding me accountable."

https://www.tmz.com/2020/05/26/jimmy...ay-night-live/
    Of course he apologized. Otherwise that would be the end of his career.
    Even back in the year 2000 it should have been obvious to everyone involved that it was a bad idea to begin with.
    Twitter: @ScreenOrigami
    Pokémon Go: 5702 7276 8494

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 279
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

In Jimmy's (partial) defence I don't think he writes the "jokes" on the Tonight Show, it has a team of writers.

I do find it annoying, however, that he plays the nice guy card and is up everyone's arse that comes on the show and then is complicit in the continued attempts to erase MJ's place in history.

I did find it hilarious that cancel culture came for him almost immediately though hahaha

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ChrisC For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 42
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registeredOverdrive

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    In Jimmy's (partial) defence I don't think he writes the "jokes" on the Tonight Show, it has a team of writers.
    His defense is also a proof of his unoriginality then.
    I look to greet the stars
    But there's no stars to see

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ozemouze For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 1,591 Posts

I hate the world of 2000... You have to apologize for something you did 20 years ago...

It was a sketch - a joke, no harm done - I am very sure there was absolutely no racist motivations behind it...

Everyone finds something to be angry about...
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Ahess/videos - me dancing MJ - many years ago.

I would be really glad if you rated or/and commented the videos. Thanks

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hess For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 765 Posts

I kind of agree with you Hess. it seem people nowadays get too offend by everything. while I do agree blackface is wrong, not everything meant to be racist etc.

a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hess View Post
    I hate the world of 2000... You have to apologize for something you did 20 years ago...

It was a sketch - a joke, no harm done - I am very sure there was absolutely no racist motivations behind it...

I see you’re from Europe, just like me. We have a different context. Dig a bit deeper into the history of blackfacing, and you’ll understand the outrage better. It’s not a harmless joke, no matter how you look at it, when you know the history of it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ScreenOrigami For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ScreenOrigami View Post
    I see you’re from Europe, just like me. We have a different context. Dig a bit deeper into the history of blackfacing, and you’ll understand the outrage better. It’s not a harmless joke, no matter how you look at it, when you know the history of it.
    I'm thorn about this TBH. The only thing that makes his performance questionable is the sour heritage of blackface. He made a sketch impersonating Chris Rock (another MJ hater BTW, haha), it's basically like he was acting as let's say Axl Rose and would pick up a long-haired wig. So this in itself shouldn't be a problem, but then comes the blackface... I don't know the solution for this, but forbidding impersonating someone just because of skin colour differences would be falling into the other extreme.

Plus I agree with Hess that there was no racist motivations behind it most probably, which should be also an important factor.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ozemouze For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ozemouze View Post
    I'm thorn about this TBH. The only thing that makes his performance questionable is the sour heritage of blackface. He made a sketch impersonating Chris Rock (another MJ hater BTW, haha), it's basically like he was acting as let's say Axl Rose and would pick up a long-haired wig. So this in itself shouldn't be a problem, but then comes the blackface... I don't know the solution for this, but forbidding impersonating someone just because of skin colour differences would be falling into the other extreme.
    In my opinion, a good impersonator should be able do a parody of a black person without actually painting their face black. And if they can’t, they should probably just move on to something else.

EDIT: Just like they’re not going to paint Ephraim Sykes’ face white to play MJ, even though at the time portrayed in the musical (Dangerous Rehearsals 1992) the vitiligo had already taken over most of MJ’s skin. I have no doubts that he’ll still be able to impersonate MJ while having black skin.
    Last edited by ScreenOrigami; 28-05-2020 at 01:45 PM.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ScreenOrigami For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

or if they can't find a good impersonator just find a black impersonator it's that easy. or if they can't find any of that then don't do the sketch at all.

a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to NatureCriminal7896 For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

In my opinion, a good impersonator should be able do a parody of a black person without actually painting their face black. And if they can’t, they should probably just move on to something else.
    Sure, but we talk about Jimmy Fallon here.

I agree of course, but even with touchy subjects it's important to consider the intent as well, otherwise real racists who are familiar with cultural codes and behave accordingly can remain under the radar, while people with good intentions just partly ignorant about other's culture can be under attack instead. Having said that a US tv personality should know better.

I think that e.g. the Rolling Stone's handling of MJ's carrier (or more like personality, as that's what they dealt with mostly, if they dealt with him at all :/) during the decades is more connected to racism/cultural superiority, and much more infuriating. But because it's subtle and not as obvious as a blackface they weren't called out on that to this day AFAIK.

Just like they’re not going to paint Ephraim Sykes’ face white to play MJ, even though at the time portrayed in the musical (Dangerous Rehearsals 1992) the vitiligo had already taken over most of MJ’s skin. I have no doubts that he’ll still be able to impersonate MJ while having black skin.
    Yes, that's definitely the only right solution (I noticed the smart move to get us back on topic ).

Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,227 Times in 611 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hess View Post

Unfortunately our world in 2020 is full of snowflakes SJWs who are easily triggered by everything. For them, everything is sexist, everything is racist, everything is homophobic, everything is offensive.

If Michael was an artist today, I am 100% sure that he would get called a sexist for releasing songs like Billie Jean, Dirty Diana, Dangerous etc, because they are negative towards a particular woman.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Relevant Spike Lee movie: “Bamboozled”, coincidentally first released in the year 2000. The year of Fallon’s blackface sketch.

https://spikes-joint.myshopify.com/p...on-blu-ray-dvd

Quote:

“With this blisteringly funny, unapologetically confrontational satire, writer-director Spike Lee examined the past, present, and future of racism in American popular culture, issuing a daring provocation to creators and consumers alike. Under pressure to help revive his network's low ratings, television writer Pierre Delacroix (Damon Wayans) hits on an explosively offensive idea: bringing back blackface with The New Millennium Minstrel Show. The white network executives love it, and so do audiences, forcing Pierre and his collaborators to confront their public's insatiable appetite for dehumanizing stereotypes. Shot primarily on unvarnished digital video and boasting spot-on performances from Wayans, Savion Glover, Jada Pinkett Smith, Tommy Davidson, Michael Rapaport, Mos Def, and Paul Mooney, Bamboozled is a stinging indictment of mass entertainment at the turn of the twenty-first century that looks more damning with each passing year.”

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nite Line View Post
    Unfortunately our world in 2020 is full of snowflakes SJWs who are easily triggered by everything. For them, everything is sexist, everything is racist, everything is homophobic, everything is offensive.

If Michael was an artist today, I am 100% sure that he would get called a sexist for releasing songs like Billie Jean, Dirty Diana, Dangerous etc, because they are negative towards a particular woman.
    I agree with ya. I don't know how Michael would handle this day and age. it was good thing he was born and made music when he did. i'm pretty sure he also knew this too.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

The irony of people on an MJ board claiming that there’s nothing racist about a blackface performance when it’s supposed to be a joke.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

People need to read their history (no pun). this is why history is so important and shouldn't be erase and forgotten.