New book? 'All The Songs: The Story Behind Every Track'

Woah it's looks really good! Wish I had the money to buy it lol :girl_tantrum:

Looks good, I've always wanted a book like this. Seems a bit expensive but I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation.

Thanks for posting mate

Richard Lecocq (Author)
Richard Lecocq is the author of KING, a retrospective of Michael Jackson's solo career, and has run the website MJdatabank.com since 2001. He has collaborated with Universal on Michael Jackson projects, and is the editor of JAM, a biannual Michael Jackson publication.
MJdatabank rings a bell. Seems legit though. Can't wait to see if it's any good.

Whoa - this book looks really good! I've always wanted a book of this sort that explains the songs (The Beatles already have one..and The Rolling Stones) so this looks good. I bet it's really substantial too - a 'coffee table' book! Thanks for posting!

I can't wait to read this although im pretty sure ive read something similar

The book is already looking interesting but you know what would make it even more great? If they also included the recording dates. Either way, here's hoping the book will be an interesting read!

This topic in a book is pretty epic.. how the hell would one author gather true information for "every track" though.. I wonder the authenticity

"Every track" refers to the songs that are known. Don't expect info on any existing song.

Hasn't Vogel already covered all this?

Vogel barely skimmed the surface of each song. His book was pretty much a collection of information you could readily find online without anything of substance (not to mention being riddled with errors).

Richard LeCocq is a man who has more than a few resources. Very excited for this!

Looks interesting ... but most of the books don't have right info about when MJ did the songs !!

Did anyone get this? I got it for Christmas. Lovely looking book and quite substantial! Haven't read yet though.

No disrespect to the authors, because a book of this magnitude is a lengthy and incredible endeavor and I applaud them for succeeding, but having leafed through it while I had some time to kill at a bookstore one day, I'm incredibly disappointed.

It reminds me of Man in the Music with a higher production value — the information is often surface-level, the quotes and anecdotes are recycled from previous books, the absence of certain players and stories do a disservice to songs that deserved to be further fleshed out, and some of the included information has long been established as either incorrect or highly exaggerated (e.g., the story of Michael being so caught up in conceptualizing the "Billie Jean" bass line that he didn't notice the bottom of his car was engulfed in flames).

Even worse, the chapters on HIStory and Invincible are incredibly bare bones, with the latter consisting of little more than an analysis of the production and songwriting of each song, with less scholarly phrasing and in-depth coverage as Vogel offered.

I feel bad being so harsh, but All the Songs pegged itself as the definitive book on Michael's music, and yet I didn't walk away knowing anything more than I already did. It's a decent enough starting point for beginners, but for anyone on this forum, I'd avoid it.

Stick with Making Michael. That book is still the best.

AlwaysThere;4236032 said:
No disrespect to the authors, because a book of this magnitude is a lengthy and incredible endeavor and I applaud them for succeeding, but having leafed through it while I had some time to kill at a bookstore one day, I'm incredibly disappointed.

It reminds me of Man in the Music with a higher production value — the information is often surface-level, the quotes and anecdotes are recycled from previous books, the absence of certain players and stories do a disservice to songs that deserved to be further fleshed out, and some of the included information has long been established as either incorrect or highly exaggerated (e.g., the story of Michael being so caught up in conceptualizing the "Billie Jean" bass line that he didn't notice the bottom of his car was engulfed in flames).

Even worse, the chapters on HIStory and Invincible are incredibly bare bones, with the latter consisting of little more than an analysis of the production and songwriting of each song, with less scholarly phrasing and in-depth coverage as Vogel offered.

I feel bad being so harsh, but All the Songs pegged itself as the definitive book on Michael's music, and yet I didn't walk away knowing anything more than I already did. It's a decent enough starting point for beginners, but for anyone on this forum, I'd avoid it.

Stick with Making Michael. That book is still the best.
What was incorrect or exaggerated about Michael's car being on fire? Both Michael and his assistant told that story as well as others through the years.

What was incorrect or exaggerated about Michael's car being on fire? Both Michael and his assistant told that story as well as others through the years.

Michael's story is that, while driving on the Ventura freeway in Los Angeles one morning, the bass line to "Billie Jean" popped into his head, and that he was so enamored by it that he failed to notice that his car was pouring smoke.

According to studio engineer Nelson Hayes, who was driving Michael that day, "Billie Jean" already existed. Michael was listening to a demo of it on his headphones, and neither of them noticed the car was on fire.

Only two people have ever publicly acknowledged the incident as far as I'm aware -- Michael and Nelson. Everyone else said they learned of it through the grapevine. Obviously this isn't a "lie," but details matter in books that claim to be comprehensive and definitive.

There are a few more examples of this in the book. Next time I can make it down to the store, I'll give it another look.

Michael's story is that, while driving on the Ventura freeway in Los Angeles one morning, the bass line to "Billie Jean" popped into his head, and that he was so enamored by it that he failed to notice that his car was pouring smoke.

According to studio engineer Nelson Hayes, who was driving Michael that day, "Billie Jean" already existed. Michael was listening to a demo of it on his headphones, and neither of them noticed the car was on fire.

Only two people have ever publicly acknowledged the incident as far as I'm aware -- Michael and Nelson. Everyone else said they learned of it through the grapevine. Obviously this isn't a "lie," but details matter in books that claim to be comprehensive and definitive.

There are a few more examples of this in the book. Next time I can make it down to the store, I'll give it another look.

Why would we believe some random (unknown) studio engineer rather than Michael himself??

Why would we believe some random (unknown) studio engineer rather than Michael himself??

Perhaps because this "random (unknown) studio engineer" worked with Michael regularly during the Thriller sessions. Or perhaps because Nelson's story is identical to Michael's with slight modifications. Or perhaps because this sub constantly listens to stories and tales from "random studio engineers" without question. Or perhaps because Michael has been known for stretching the truth and/or exaggerating.

Either way, it's a minuscule detail.

im getting this book this week hope its good

Perhaps because this "random (unknown) studio engineer" worked with Michael regularly during the Thriller sessions. Or perhaps because Nelson's story is identical to Michael's with slight modifications. Or perhaps because this sub constantly listens to stories and tales from "random studio engineers" without question. Or perhaps because Michael has been known for stretching the truth and/or exaggerating.

Either way, it's a minuscule detail.

But I'd also say, many of Michael's collaborators have something of a history in embellishing their contributions as well. Everyone and their mother (including Michael's own mother who apparently wrote TWYMMF lol) likes to take credit for the many, many successes Michael had. Although I do not deny Michael Jackson was an expert PR machine at one point, I think we have to be careful about this attitude that everything he said was bullshit and everything everyone else said goes without question (not that I'm suggesting this what you were doing AlwaysThere).

ChrisC;4236011 said:
Did anyone get this? I got it for Christmas. Lovely looking book and quite substantial! Haven't read yet though.

I’ve had it since it was released. It’s a very lovely book with tons of details and pictures. It’s worth every penny. It’s definitely a “reference” type book that’s HEAVILY based off Chris Cadman’s Michael Jackson The Maestro A-Z Volume 1 and 2. Those books are a must have for any fan.

The Maestro - Volume 1: A-J

Description
Product description
Michael Jackson was no ordinary performer. From the moment he first moved to the rhythm of the Jackson family's old creaky washing machine he was destined to do big things. No one back then however, could have possibly predicted what would happen over the next five decades when the name of Michael Jackson would be one of the most recognisable in the history of popular music the world over. Not only would he have four consecutive number one records with his brothers the Jackson 5, but he would go on to have the biggest album of all time with Thriller and be recognised as the number one charity donor. From the author of the best selling book Michael Jackson For The Record, Chris Cadman brings you Michael Jackson's remarkable 'Life & Times' through his music, his performances, his interviews his achievements and his charity endeavours. Read about the significant people in his life and the many film offers that came his way that sadly never came to fruition. Plus discover his never ending devotion to children's charities and the less unfortunate around the world. This is Michael Jackson The Maestro - The Definitive A - Z, Volume 1: A-J.

The Maestro - Volume 2: K-Z

Michael Jackson was no ordinary performer. From the moment he first stepped on stage at the age of five to his final rehearsals at the Staples Centre in Los Angeles, Michael Joe Jackson was a dynamic performer. During his 45 year career in entertainment, Jackson changed the face of popular music, amazed audiences worldwide and broke down barriers still felt today. Michael Jackson The Maestro The Definitive A-Z Volume 2 - K-Z completes the two volume set on one of the most fascinating artists of all time in popular music. Carrying on from the first volume Michael Jackson The Maestro continues looking at his extraordinary life and times, through his many songs, TV Performances, Tours, videos, documentary’s, Radio shows, films, Interviews, articles, speeches, directors, producers and friends. Despite the media ignoring his record breaking accomplishments, his innovative video & tours and charitable endeavours, he is still held in high regard by his fellow artists such as Beyonce, Madonna, Coldplay’s Chris Martin, Pharrell Williams, Ne-Yo, Lionel Richie, Stevie Wonder, and John Rotten, amongst a galaxy of stars who have all sang Michael’s praises since his sad departure. Michael Jackson The Maestro The Definitive A-Z Volume 2 - K-Z brings an era of interesting trivia surrounding Michael’s career and life. Read about Karen Carpenter being in the studio with Michael. Where the premier of ‘Seeing Voices’ was held. The time Little Richard wanted him for the part in his life story. The script he had for the Frankie Lymon Story. His supposed version of the Monkees ‘Last Train To Clarksville.’ Joining Patti Labelle on stage to sing Lady Marmalade, as well as stories and trivia on Madonna, Marlon Brando, Mary Poppins, Michael Flatley and the night he appeared on stage with Stevie Wonder to join in on his hit Master Blaster. All this and an abundance of trivia and rare TV and rare magazine interviews. This is Michael Jackson The Maestro.

Last edited:
But I'd also say, many of Michael's collaborators have something of a history in embellishing their contributions as well. Everyone and their mother (including Michael's own mother who apparently wrote TWYMMF lol) likes to take credit for the many, many successes Michael had. Although I do not deny Michael Jackson was an expert PR machine at one point, I think we have to be careful about this attitude that everything he said was bullshit and everything everyone else said goes without question (not that I'm suggesting this what you were doing AlwaysThere).

You're absolutely right that people tend to exaggerate their contributions to Michael's work, though this doesn't seem to be the case. Nelson Hayes isn't trying to shoehorn himself into the conversation; he's just correcting the narrative.

I also agree that the attitude of "question what Michael has said" should be approached with caution. I know one or two people who thrive on dissecting everything anyone says about Michael and finding fault with it, which is never my intention. I just try to give every claim the benefit of the doubt and consider it carefully in context, you know? That's why I don't see why Nelson would lie about a comparatively minor detail, whereas I firmly believe Teddy Riley would lie about originally being asked to produce Bad.

and the night he appeared on stage with Stevie Wonder to join in on his hit Master Blaster.
Was it real?
Just imagine: Mike singing Master Blaster! I would sell ma soul for that!

tedddy riley was asked to do bad?

That's what he says, but both John Barnes and Brad Sundberg have refuted that claim.

Teddy has a history of either exaggerating or outright lying about his involvement with Michael. He played a vital role post-Quincy no doubt, but he wasn't nearly as imperative as he likes to act.

That's what he says, but both John Barnes and Brad Sundberg have refuted that claim.

Teddy has a history of either exaggerating or outright lying about his involvement with Michael. He played a vital role post-Quincy no doubt, but he wasn't nearly as imperative as he likes to act.

yeh i dont think teddy was asked i mean he didnt do work till the 90's so that totally puts his claim down

Back