Page 1 of 114 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Estate, Cascio and Porte Sued Over Three Songs on the "Michael" Album - Vera Senova Class Action

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger Second Class50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,213 Times in 1,085 Posts

Default Estate, Cascio and Porte Sued Over Three Songs on the "Michael" Album - Vera Senova Class Action

Sued for:

Violations of the consumers legal remedies act
    Unfair competition
    Fraud

Michael Jackson -- Fan Sues Estate ... I Don't Hear Enough MJ on His Disc

One irate Michael Jackson fan is suing his Estate because she thinks MJ was not the lead singer on 3 of his songs on the 2010 CD, "Michael" ... the first release after his death. The woman filed the suit today in L.A. claiming she bought the disc in 2011, but didn't hear enough Michael on 3 particular tracks. In the suit she claims she hired an audio expert to analyze her CD and he determined it was very likely that MJ did not sing lead vocals on "Breaking News" ... "Monster" ... and "Keep Your Head Up." The woman wants this to be a class action -- meaning if the allegation is true the Estate would owe money to everyone who bought the full album, or any of the 3 tracks in question. The Estate's lawyer, Howard Weitzman, has previously said Michael did provide lead vocals for all the tracks on the album.

Source: TMZ

The expert who did the analysis:

Dr. Papcun is a scientist who analyzes sounds, especially the sounds of speech, with regard to their forensic implications. He has been employed by Los Alamos National Laboratory, The Aerospace Corporation and the University of California Phonetics Laboratory. He has served as an expert witness in the United States, Canada and Australia. He has held security clearances at the Secret, Top Secret and Q levels. He has completed projects for the Central Intelligence Agency, the National Security Agency and the United States Secret Service. He will consider other challenging assignments.

Dr. Papcun's expertise includes analysis of recordings, enhancing the intelligibility of recordings, determining whether recordings have been altered, speaker identification, memory for voices, voice lineups, using voice to determine speaker veracity and voice morphing.

Source: http://soundevidence.com/

Case files:
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/229471634/...e-Cascio-Porte

From file:

Ms. Serova later learned several facts suggesting that Michael Jackson did not perform lead vocals on the Cascio tracks. When it became apparent that defendants would not offer further explanation or evidence regarding the authenticity of the Cascio trakcs, Serova engaged independent audio expert Doctor George Papcun to asses whether Jackson had actually performed the lead vocals on the Cascio tracks. After a comprehensive assessment, Dr. Papcun prepared a report and concluded that it was very likely that Michael Jackson did not sing the lead vocals on the Cascio trakcs. Counsel subsequently had Dr. Papcun's expert report peer reviewed by another well-credentialed independent audio expert who concluded that Dr. Papcun's methodologies and conclusions were reasonable.

Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 47
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,902 Times in 912 Posts

Default Re: Estate, Cascio & Porte sued - Forensic Analysis says MJ is NOT singing the 3 songs on "MICHAEL"

Just in time to add to MJ fans' stellar reputation. What about returning the damn CD and asked for your money back...THREE YEARS AGO.
    Last edited by Member Service; 13-06-2014 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Insults

3. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Memefan For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger Second Class50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,213 Times in 1,085 Posts

Default Re: Estate, Cascio & Porte sued - Forensic Analysis says MJ is NOT singing the 3 songs on "MICHAEL"

Quote Originally Posted by Memefan View Post
    Just in time to add to MJ fans' stellar reputation. What about returning the damn CD and asked for your money back...THREE YEARS AGO.
    This is about more than just getting some dollars back, and you know that,
    Last edited by Member Service; 13-06-2014 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Insults

Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 486
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,946 Times in 990 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Memefan View Post
    Your post is disgraceful. Whenever this issue was discussed the (imo incredibly weak) argument of "well if you are so sure of yourself why don't you take it to court?" was always mentioned. But of course now that someone is actually doing this, she's called a loon and an imbecile.

I think it is a very brave step by this fan. I salute her!
    Last edited by Member Service; 13-06-2014 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Removing Insults in Quote

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 833
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,693 Times in 1,330 Posts

I have also said why no one brings it in court (and I think that was not a weak argument), instead of collecting money for books or wining in blogs. So I think that's a good step and the matter can be resolved.
    So now we can all waiting for the results.

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Annita For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Annita View Post
    I have also said why no one brings it in court (and I think that was not a weak argument), instead of collecting money for books or wining in blogs. So I think that's a good step and the matter can be resolved.
    So now we can all waiting for the results.
    It's weak when that's the only response given in a discussion about the authenticity of the track where the other side presents arguments concerning MJ's voice, the debunked 'explanations' Eddie & co gave, the lack of proof given by the Estate, the contradictions, etc. It's a fair point in and of itself, but very weak as a sole counter-argument in that discussion.

I think people who say that completely ignore what something like this entails. You have to find legal counsel that is willing to take up the case, you need to have enough information about the situation to present a case, you need to have something that will give you a reasonable chance in court, etc. The expert analysis this fan had conducted is very useful (and, even though we do not know the details yet, it already holds more weight than the Estate's supposed analysis, simply because the court documents list the name of the expert who analyzed it). But all these things cost money and time. Then there's the stress of going up against a big company that surrounds all of this... No matter how much they care about Michael, people have lives to lead and bills to pay. That's why I really respect this fan for doing this. It's obviously not about making a quick buck at all.

9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SoCav For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks

any true MJ fan knew this all along anyways

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Screamin For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

^Whoops, I actually didn't mean to thank your post, but wanted to reply to it.

I think even in a hypothetical situation where all fans agreed that it is not MJ (which clearly not every fan does) it is still important that this is established in a court of law. Until either that, or a confession by one of the people involved, happens, these tracks will remain a part of MJ's official discography. Which is an absolute disgrace.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SoCav For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,098 Times in 2,234 Posts

Amazing. Finally! This made my day. Please Pentum, Damien Shields, Stella and others who have all the necessary evidences, please provide them to the fan who is suing.

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to OnirMJ For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

I'm actually glad, hopefully it will finally put this all to rest. Sony and Branca (not McLain) are also named.

Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,536 Times in 7,317 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gold Pants Girl View Post
    Branca (not McLain) are also named.
    That's interesting. Branca is being sued at his executor capacity (not personally), McClain should also be sued in that capacity.
    Twitter : Ivy_4MJ

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ivy For This Useful Post:

MattyJam

Haha. This is hilarious (and long overdue).

I hope she wins.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MattyJam For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 111
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

I'm so sick and tired of hearing about this. Let it go already

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to speechlesslove4michael For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,337 Times in 505 Posts

Holyy shit dude!! Finallyy!!!
    You inspired me to dream big. You taught me to love unconditionally. You taught me to do unto others, what thou does to self. And most of all you taught me not judge until the truth sets on free. And because of it all...I Love You, Michael. And I always will.

Formerly known as AnnieRUOkay89

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WhoIsIt89 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 21
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pentum View Post
    This is about more than just getting some dollars back, and you know that, imbecile.
    And you will see how "great publicity" it will become,especially at that time (June 13 and also 5 years after his death)for Michael Jackson's fans. I can bet right now that the action is taken by one of the media outlet (in disguise of course) for the story. It's really not expensive at all for the media to do it (when they used to pay hundred thousand of dollars for the stories). To tell the true I really don't mind the lawsuit (because it would be a good opportunity to find the truth. I just mind the time for that kind controversy if Eddie Cascio will be able to prove that it is Michael on the tapes. Of course it would show the delusion of Michael's fans. But before the court day the media will have a lot of fan with speculating about the subject. Most of fans who can not understand why Cascio didn't show any proof before should just to look closer into the ways this family live. Except Frank no other Cascio wrote the book about Michael's day to day living and definitely parents and especially Connie Cascio would have a lot more to say (since she was the one who assisted with Blanket first day in this world) because they remember more. This family (except Frank) just don't like any publicity and they try to avoid it like a fire IMO. Anyway we will see how it develop, however I personally worry that it's a publicity stunt. Remember, today is a very good day in history for Michael Jackson but I'm not sure if the media will focus on that. Rather they can focus on this lawsuit as well as Safechack stories. So there is nothing to be happy about. It just not the right time for this lawsuit.
    Last edited by Warszawa320; 13-06-2014 at 03:05 PM.