MJ video legacy

which song should be given a video

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RHMJ78

Proud Member
Re: Michael Jackson videos – for 10th Anniversary of his death
I have always been the biggest Michael Jackson fan. I think he is the greatest artist that has ever lived.
However, I have always been worried about the lack of music videos, for the man who is King of the music video.
His recent hits, post 1990 and post death sons have videos.
The surprising thing is, that many of his greatest hits in the 1980’s have no videos. For example, thriller album 7 hit singles only has 3 official videos.
Songs such as Off the wall, Wanna be starting Something, PYT, I just Can’t Stop Loving You, Human Nature have no official video.
In the modern world, videos mean so much. Young people discover new music on You tube. Some radio stations only play songs now with music videos, which they play at the same time.
My worry is these ultimate classics, will have less importance moving forward, without official videos they deserves.
All Madonna, Prince, George Michael, Janet Jackson, major song have a video.
Is there any plans to alter this at his 60th birthday?
For example, Human Nature could have a full video extended the part video in Moonwalker film. Wanna be Startin (one of his most famous songs) could have clips of live performances matched to the recorded track, together with clips of the Thriller time and clips of dancers doing his moves to the song now?
May artists have done videos to massive songs without the artist being involved: Prince Sign of the Times, George Michael Freedom, Elton John Are you Ready for Love, Justin Bieber sorry. Whitney One Moment in Time.
Videos have been made for less important MJ songs, such as Hollywood tonight and Behind the Mask. These timeless, great songs, need the same attention, for the future generation.
As a marketing exercise, for the You tube generation, videos should be made for these ultimate classics, to make sure they are relevant moving forward.
i have contacted the esate and sony with this request, you should too.

Very nice thread. I definitely think Thriller should have had more music videos. Wanna Be Starting Something definitely should have had a music video.

I'm also surprised that I Just Can't Stop Loving You didn't have a music video either, as it was the lead single from Bad and I think lead singles should always have music videos.

I don't think it would make much sense to make a video now for these songs - BUT I agree that it would have been nice if MJ had made videos for them back when they were released.

Actually - after Say Say Say I always thought they should have made a video for The Girl Is Mine too - MJ and Paul McCartney seem to have so great chemestry and they work great together on camera.

BUT - Off The Wall could have a video - but seen as how the video were for the OTW videos - SOML, RWY and DSTYGE - the video would propably not be like the later MJ videos with a story. It would propably be MJ dancing in front of a bluescreen and not more...

Human Nature could have a great hauting video IMO. - Too bad that never happend. - or if he was in a hurry he could simply have made some kind of live version video like DD and Give into Me.

IJCSLY could actually just be studio footage of the two recording the song and throwing popcorn having a great time.

There are other songs I would also liked a video for - fx Whatever Happens, Threatened, Keep The Faith, Money, Smile (Chaplin video is it recorded or?) and Speechless - and maybe Butterfly since that was a single.

I wanted MJ to do the Unbreakable video so badly. If the rumours are true that he wanted it as the first single with a killer video that would've been incredible. Instead we got the 'YRMW' video which is good, but MJ had a lot of issues making it so it's harder to watch.

Thanks Nite Line , Hess & Dam. I appreciate your reply.
Nite line - Agree with what you say. Hess and Dam I hear what you say and respect.
I know some of the newer songs are great (invincible ), but not well known
My point was that songs like Human Nature, Wanna Be statring , I just Cant stop Loving you are some of the best known songs of all time
For me, to be the "complete package", they need videos, which could easily be created
The young generation coming up, don’t listen to radio or Cd. They watch You tube.
To have the importance and relevance going forward, these songs deserve official videos

RHMJ78;4231798 said:
Thanks Nite Line , Hess & Dam. I appreciate your reply.
Nite line - Agree with what you say. Hess and Dam I hear what you say and respect.
I know some of the newer songs are great (invincible ), but not well known
My point was that songs like Human Nature, Wanna Be statring , I just Cant stop Loving you are some of the best known songs of all time
For me, to be the "complete package", they need videos, which could easily be created
The young generation coming up, don’t listen to radio or Cd. They watch You tube.
To have the importance and relevance going forward, these songs deserve official videos

Oh you mean make videos for old songs. I’m not sure there’s a viable profit there. It wouldn’t hurt to put the Human Nature Moonwalker thing as a video but I doubt they could make videos for each old song and get enough of a profitable return on it.

Plus, given the videos made during MJs life and now, it would be a compilation of music videos and Bucharest. Think the Cheater vid or LNFSG (interesting note - the LNFSG video is mostly just the Immortal concert intro video)

Plus, given the videos made during MJs life and now, it would be a compilation of music videos and Bucharest. Think the Cheater vid or LNFSG (interesting note - the LNFSG video is mostly just the Immortal concert intro video)

Can you please elaborate on what you mean by this? I don't understand how LNFSG has anything to do with the Immortal introduction.....

I wanted MJ to do the Unbreakable video so badly. If the rumours are true that he wanted it as the first single with a killer video that would've been incredible. Instead we got the 'YRMW' video which is good, but MJ had a lot of issues making it so it's harder to watch.

I completely agree. I wish Michael had been able to get his way on this one.

Can you please elaborate on what you mean by this? I don't understand how LNFSG has anything to do with the Immortal introduction.....

One of the LNFSG videos just uses what Cirque used for their Immortal Intro concert video

One of the LNFSG videos just uses what Cirque used for their Immortal Intro concert video

An official LNFSG video? Which one? Can you post a comparison or something? I don't remember any that sound like the Immortal intro.

An official LNFSG video? Which one? Can you post a comparison or something? I don't remember any that sound like the Immortal intro.

No it doesn't sound like it - they used the same video montage. Example below

Watch it at 0:32 seconds

Watch at 4:11

There's a few others but it's a cool little tidbit. I only noticed because I spent hours watching the video over and over trying to recreate the original.

I think that Numan Nature should have music video. That Moonwalker part fits this song perfectly!
It's interesting to see WBSS music video too.

RHMJ78;4231501 said:
Re: Michael Jackson videos – for 10th Anniversary of his death
I have always been the biggest Michael Jackson fan. I think he is the greatest artist that has ever lived.
However, I have always been worried about the lack of music videos, for the man who is King of the music video.
His recent hits, post 1990 and post death sons have videos.
The surprising thing is, that many of his greatest hits in the 1980’s have no videos. For example, thriller album 7 hit singles only has 3 official videos.
Songs such as Off the wall, Wanna be starting Something, PYT, I just Can’t Stop Loving You, Human Nature have no official video.
In the modern world, videos mean so much. Young people discover new music on You tube. Some radio stations only play songs now with music videos, which they play at the same time.
My worry is these ultimate classics, will have less importance moving forward, without official videos they deserves.
All Madonna, Prince, George Michael, Janet Jackson, major song have a video.
Is there any plans to alter this at his 60th birthday?
For example, Human Nature could have a full video extended the part video in Moonwalker film. Wanna be Startin (one of his most famous songs) could have clips of live performances matched to the recorded track, together with clips of the Thriller time and clips of dancers doing his moves to the song now?
May artists have done videos to massive songs without the artist being involved: Prince Sign of the Times, George Michael Freedom, Elton John Are you Ready for Love, Justin Bieber sorry. Whitney One Moment in Time.
Videos have been made for less important MJ songs, such as Hollywood tonight and Behind the Mask. These timeless, great songs, need the same attention, for the future generation.
As a marketing exercise, for the You tube generation, videos should be made for these ultimate classics, to make sure they are relevant moving forward.
i have contacted the esate and sony with this request, you should too.

It is important to note also that MJ wanted to make very expensive music videos (from ‘Off The Wall’ onwards).

That inevitably would cause conflicts between him & the record label, resulting in fewer than expected officially released music videos.

Take, for instance, the ‘Thriller’ music video. In fact, CBS refused to finance that video (because of its huge costs), so MJ along with John Branca came up with a solution regarding its costs (that involved Showtime & MTV).

MJ’s desire for spending so much money on making his music videos (often bringing on conflicts) was also apparent in the ‘Invincible’ era.

MJ wanted a huge budget for the ‘Unbreakable’ music video.

Sony refused to finance it, so the ‘You Rock My World’ music video with a much less budget was officially released instead.

Also, there was the quality over quantity factor for him.

MJ wanted to raise the bars with each new music video, so he released a music video only if he was sure that would bring something new to the table (in terms of visual effects, etc).

Finally, to my mind, it would be an all around bad idea to start making official music videos for some of his greatest hits songs (that never had music videos).

can't believe I missed this thread! too bad the poll is closed.. of course it was between 'startin' somethin' and 'human nature' for me.

I always felt there was a gap between may and October of '83. despite the singles released (without videos or performances) and the aftermath of Motown 25. still, Michael was smart not to overexpose himself.

for this reason I went with 'human nature'. it could have been animated entirely without him appearing in the video. yet it still would have been advanced for it's time and added to his legacy. plus, the 'moonwalker' clip perfectly captured the story and vibe of the song.
a fan made this. it's inaccurate due to some of the images being from '84, but it gives an idea of what could have been..
as much as I love 'startin' somethin', and would have loved to have seen a visual of it in '83, some things are better left to the imagination. I sometimes imagine him performing in the top of the pops studio! this video was specially made in Australia back in the day though. I don't think it should take place at night. it's a bright colourful song..

I am very interested in what was supposed to be the super expensive and groundbreaking Unbreakable video.
Could someone make a list of what we actually know about it?

Back