Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 222
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Missed Opportunities

Quote Originally Posted by JennieKim View Post
    Yes, it seems like it. Those HBO rehearsals were confirmed to be filmed and given to Michael. The whereabouts of these rare footage is still a mystery. I guess it'll be a big discovery if ever it will located...in this lifetime.
    Quote Originally Posted by dam2040 View Post
    LaVelle Smith has the tapes. He's already shared some of it. He's the one behind some of the recent concert leaks.
    The whereabouts of these tapes is definitely a mystery.

This has been confirmed by several reliable sources.

One of those sources is Jeff Margolis, the producer/director of that 1995 HBO Special.

… The tapes have vanished... They’ve disappeared. Michael ended up with all of the tapes. That was part of his agreement. HBO has nothing. His management company has nothing. His lawyers have nothing. I have nothing. Nobody had anything, except for Michael, and needless to say, they disappeared years ago…” (Jeff Margolis)

MJ, the one who had those tapes, lost them back then (it was not unusual for him to lose audio or video material).

Executors of MJ’s Estate do not know the location of these tapes, too.

LaVelle Smith has not the actual tapes of the entire footage, but he has just few video segments shot by his own camera.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mj_frenzy For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 33
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    31 days registered100 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mj_frenzy View Post
    The whereabouts of these tapes is definitely a mystery.

This has been confirmed by several reliable sources.

One of those sources is Jeff Margolis, the producer/director of that 1995 HBO Special.

… The tapes have vanished... They’ve disappeared. Michael ended up with all of the tapes. That was part of his agreement. HBO has nothing. His management company has nothing. His lawyers have nothing. I have nothing. Nobody had anything, except for Michael, and needless to say, they disappeared years ago…” (Jeff Margolis)

MJ, the one who had those tapes, lost them back then (it was not unusual for him to lose audio or video material).

Executors of MJ’s Estate do not know the location of these tapes, too.

LaVelle Smith has not the actual tapes of the entire footage, but he has just few video segments shot by his own camera.
    Does anyone knows what are the things stored in those storage warehouses. As per my understanding there are 5 places of them with Michael's belonging including Grammies and other awards. This might sound stupid but what if these tapes also amoung the stuff stored on those places? I am wondering why estate is not making an effort to find out whats on those storages.

Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 125
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

I think Michael should have toured more, after the Bad era. He did a mostly-overseas one for HIStory, but avoided the USA which was very disappointing. I'd have also liked him to tour for Invincible, but I understand him wanting to focus more on his kids.
    God, guns, and guts made America; let's keep all three.

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

I think Michael missed a golden opportunity to promote Invincible during his 2002 performances at the American Bandstand and the Bill Clinton gala show, especially the American Bandstand show. He choose to perform songs from the Dangerous album, a ten year old album yet completely neglected the Invincible album, that only came out 6 months ago. A performance of a song from Invincible or medley of Invincible songs at the American handstand show would have definitely kept the Invincible album on the charts for a few more week. A massive missed opportunity.

Also, it would have been nice had Michael done a one night special show (similar to the cancelled one from 1995) in 2002 to promote the Invincible album. I know he didn’t want to tour at that point, which is understandable but instead he could have done a special one off concert to promote the Invincible album.

I know we blame Sony for the lack of promotion for the Invincible album, but Michael wasn’t completely faultless too.

Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 99
    Achievements:
    Three Friends5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moviefan2k4 View Post
    I think Michael should have toured more, after the Bad era. He did a mostly-overseas one for HIStory, but avoided the USA which was very disappointing. I'd have also liked him to tour for Invincible, but I understand him wanting to focus more on his kids.
    I’m sorry. But the US didn’t deserve Michael during that time. They treated him like shit. No wonder Michael did not want to tour there. I wonder why he chose to tour in Honolulu, but not on the mainland...

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doggone For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,085 Times in 849 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doggone View Post
    I’m sorry. But the US didn’t deserve Michael during that time. They treated him like shit. No wonder Michael did not want to tour there. I wonder why he chose to tour in Honolulu, but not on the mainland...
    AMEN
    The universe doesnt revolve around the US.
    I do however, wish he came back to Canada on his solo tours. We're the nice country remember? lol.

The missed opportunity that will always stand out for me is official concert material.
    A filmed Bad tour concert should have been released at the end of the tour.
    Maybe Packaged with Moonwalker.
    Currently the film is either lost or just hasn't been catalogued....

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,199
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,604 Times in 1,070 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robbsaber01 View Post
    AMEN
    The universe doesnt revolve around the US.
    a bit off-topic but i agree.
    I feel like americans believe the USA is first priority always.
    I know a lot of people from the US aren't like that.
    But i feel like the USA have more patriots than any other country or state.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kai For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 222
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks

I'd have also liked him to tour for Invincible, but I understand him wanting to focus more on his kids.
    Focusing more on his kids was not the reason for not touring for the ‘Invincible’ album.

He told Sony (during the final stages of making that album) that he was leaving the company (because of the known legal reasons).

So, it would make no sense at all for him to support that album by touring (because that would benefit the company that he just left).

But more importantly, his mental & physical health condition was on downward spiral at that time.

In fact, MJ was in no position to tour for that album because of his (drug-related) health issues.

His confession to Cory Rooney (about the health effects of a possible tour in 2001), or even the incident he had in 2001 (according to his then-bodyguard Michael LePerruque) when he passed out in the hallway of the suite at a Disney World hotel in Orlando (Florida) are two examples that spring to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by PolkaN View Post
    Does anyone knows what are the things stored in those storage warehouses. As per my understanding there are 5 places of them with Michael's belonging including Grammies and other awards. This might sound stupid but what if these tapes also amoung the stuff stored on those places? I am wondering why estate is not making an effort to find out whats on those storages.
    The Estate did make an effort to find out what is on those places/storages, but no HBO tapes came up.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mj_frenzy For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Missed opportunity's

Quote Originally Posted by Nite Line View Post
    - Thriller 25 was a terrible release. Michael messed up by not releasing any unreleased songs on T25. Bad 25 was a very good release as it featured 6 unreleased songs from the Bad sessions. Thrilled 25 had one new song that was from the Dangerous era. Songs such as Behind The Mask, Nite Line, Hot Street, Best of Joy (Thriller version) should have been on T25.
    The initial plan was to release T25 with four bonus tracks and no remixes at all. Acording to Peter Lopez (his then attorney) two of the tracks were For All Time and Don't Be Messin' 'Round. Those are still recordings from the dangerous sessions, though.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,445 Times in 2,648 Posts

Another missed opportunity is Michael not having a cameo appearance in Home Alone 2.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to analogue For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 369
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveTagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,799 Times in 869 Posts

I don't blame him at all for not touring much in the USA, considering his treatment there. Also he wasn't well enough, emotionally, to tour for Invincible; 9/11 plus the war on terror pretty much put an end to any thoughts he might have had of flying around the globe.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikky Dee For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 369
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdriveTagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,799 Times in 869 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PolkaN View Post
    I know this is an old post, but I just wanted to point out that Karen Langford is the archivist for the Michael Jackson Estate. She has painstakingly catalogued everything that is in the warehouses and still oversees the collection, as far as I'm aware.

This is an article from 2013. There was a story on 60 Minutes, back then, which gave viewers a guided tour through the warehouses.

A look in Michael Jackson's closet
    "60 Minutes" cameras given access to Michael Jackson's personal possessions for a story about the king of pop's lucrative legacy

In life, Michael Jackson earned hundreds of millions and spent even more, accumulating an estimated half-billion dollars in debt towards the end of his life, when a tarnished image curtailed his earning power. In death, the King of Pop is doing just fine, however. He's never been more popular, with almost 60 million Facebook "friends," and music sales and business deals made by his estate have earned more than enough to repay his debt. Lara Logan reports on this unprecedented turnaround and gets a private tour of some of the personal items that meant the most to the late star for a 60 Minutes story to be broadcast Sunday, May 19 at 7 p.m. ET/PT.

While the Jackson Estate amasses millions through The Michael Jackson Immortal Tour, an acrobatic performance to his music by Cirque Du Soleil, iTunes and album sales, his possessions sit in storage. Nobody knows what they are worth. It's anybody's guess at what they could bring at auction with the right people biding.

Karen Langford, a friend of Jackson's who worked with him since 1981, is the archivist for the Jackson estate. She takes Logan for a tour of a warehouse full of Jackson's memorabilia.

The tour begins, appropriately, with the Neverland sign sitting on the floor of the 20,000-foot warehouse. It once sat atop the gates to his famous compound that included an amusement park, zoo and his mansion.

Inside, Logan sees Grammy awards, a fleet of cars, antiques, video games, and some of the clothing he wore on stage. The sequined glove he wore on the Billie Jean Tour, worth an estimated $80,000, is kept in a safe on premises.

Other things may not have obviously high value but were priceless to the star, including the wooden rocking horse given to Jackson by one of his closest friends, Elizabeth Taylor. "To MJ, Love ET," reads the inscription.

The items will be stored until Jackson's children come of age and decide what they want to do with them. Meanwhile, the revenue machine that has taken in over $600 million since the entertainer's death in 2009 -- more than any other single living artist has earned over the period -- is predicted to hum along for many years to come.

Sunday evening after the program, 60MinutesOvertime.com, the 60 Minutes web show, will present an even deeper look into the memorabilia few have ever seen since Jackson's death.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/a-look-...cksons-closet/

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikky Dee For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points3 months registered
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mikky Dee View Post
    I don't blame him at all for not touring much in the USA, considering his treatment there. Also he wasn't well enough, emotionally, to tour for Invincible; 9/11 plus the war on terror pretty much put an end to any thoughts he might have had of flying around the globe.
    The one who should be complaining its me
    He only came to my country once three months before I was born and never came back. Why why I had to be born in the end of 1992?!

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive1000 Experience PointsThree Friends1 year registered

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mikky Dee View Post
    I know this is an old post, but I just wanted to point out that Karen Langford is the archivist for the Michael Jackson Estate. She has painstakingly catalogued everything that is in the warehouses and still oversees the collection, as far as I'm aware.

This is an article from 2013. There was a story on 60 Minutes, back then, which gave viewers a guided tour through the warehouses.

A look in Michael Jackson's closet
    "60 Minutes" cameras given access to Michael Jackson's personal possessions for a story about the king of pop's lucrative legacy

In life, Michael Jackson earned hundreds of millions and spent even more, accumulating an estimated half-billion dollars in debt towards the end of his life, when a tarnished image curtailed his earning power. In death, the King of Pop is doing just fine, however. He's never been more popular, with almost 60 million Facebook "friends," and music sales and business deals made by his estate have earned more than enough to repay his debt. Lara Logan reports on this unprecedented turnaround and gets a private tour of some of the personal items that meant the most to the late star for a 60 Minutes story to be broadcast Sunday, May 19 at 7 p.m. ET/PT.

While the Jackson Estate amasses millions through The Michael Jackson Immortal Tour, an acrobatic performance to his music by Cirque Du Soleil, iTunes and album sales, his possessions sit in storage. Nobody knows what they are worth. It's anybody's guess at what they could bring at auction with the right people biding.

Karen Langford, a friend of Jackson's who worked with him since 1981, is the archivist for the Jackson estate. She takes Logan for a tour of a warehouse full of Jackson's memorabilia.

The tour begins, appropriately, with the Neverland sign sitting on the floor of the 20,000-foot warehouse. It once sat atop the gates to his famous compound that included an amusement park, zoo and his mansion.

Inside, Logan sees Grammy awards, a fleet of cars, antiques, video games, and some of the clothing he wore on stage. The sequined glove he wore on the Billie Jean Tour, worth an estimated $80,000, is kept in a safe on premises.

Other things may not have obviously high value but were priceless to the star, including the wooden rocking horse given to Jackson by one of his closest friends, Elizabeth Taylor. "To MJ, Love ET," reads the inscription.

The items will be stored until Jackson's children come of age and decide what they want to do with them. Meanwhile, the revenue machine that has taken in over $600 million since the entertainer's death in 2009 -- more than any other single living artist has earned over the period -- is predicted to hum along for many years to come.

Sunday evening after the program, 60MinutesOvertime.com, the 60 Minutes web show, will present an even deeper look into the memorabilia few have ever seen since Jackson's death.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/a-look-...cksons-closet/

Thx for this! Never seen it before.

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Achievements:
    31 days registered100 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by analogue View Post
    I think some of the biggest missed opportunity's were a live performance of Give Into Me with Slash. I never understood why that never happened, and The Making Of Thriller having a DVD/Blu Ray release for Thriller 25. That one should have been a no brainer.

Can anyone else think of anymore missed opportunity's throughout Michael's career?
    There is little to no tape of Michael dancing tap. We need the HD recordings.