Thread: Missed Opportunities

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class31 days registered100 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Missed opportunity's

Missed opportunities in no particular order.

1. Not shooting Captain Eo in 1984.: The whole Thriller campaign throughout 1983 went exactly as planned, and he ended the year with the release of Thriller in December of that year, with it's release as the final single in January of 1984. So while that germinates, all he had to do was collect awards that year and shoot Captain Eo that summer, so that it could be released in 1985. I'm not sure what the specifics were as far as who was on-board to direct and so on. But I'm sure with the Michael-mania at that time, it'd be strange for any top-tier director/producer to turn down the opportunity to work on a project like Captain Eo. Since it was already in pre-production in 1983 and Michael was pretty mum about it. Having We Are The World, the Thriller sales still going, AND Captain Eo would've kept Michael's lead amongst the industry, and given everyone else less time to catch up. He would've done it all in a short amount of time.

2. Not tour "Thriller", Thriller Tour: In hindsight, I think the Victory Tour and album was totally unnecessary and I completely understand why Michael was against it because it did way more harm than good for sure. Although I am a big fan of the Jackson brothers, at the same time I think that he would've better off touring alone with the four other back up dancers ala the ones he went on to have rather than an incomplete set of Jacksons. Choreography wise, the tour took a big hit with Jackie being injured and unable to dance on the tour. In terms of performing Jacksons material, Michael, Marlon and Jackie are kind of a packaged deal. Although the performances were stellar, in comparison to the Triumph tour I feel like they were missing something on songs like "Things I Do For You", "Lovely One", "Heartbreak Hotel" to name a few. Now subtract the time spent in the studio recording and working on Victory, the Pepsi deal, Don King, Chuck Sullivan and that idiotic lottery-ticket system courtesy of Don King and whomever else who thought that forcing lower, working class people a mandatory $120 money order was fair. Getting rid of the Pepsi deal Michael did not want in the first place also means, no Pepsi accident as well! Now add all that extra time and divert it to him spending all that time to creating the show, auditioning the right back-up ensemble dancers as well as background singers, the initial Quaker Oats deal, and a set-list including Thriller and PYT which he never performed live ever. That tour would've easily surpassed Victory's ticket sales which were great but but were already hampered because of the negative press from jump.

3. Not shooting Torture: For a song with next to no promotion whatsoever to peak at No.17 on the Hot 100 says alot about that song. The only thing that stopped that song from charting higher was the fact that he was not in the video itself. That video had a similar budget to Thriller that CBS actually came out of pocket for, versus Thriller which Michael had to exercise other elaborate options to secure the financing for it. The whole entire Victory campaign was rushed and the video was no exception. I read that it had close to no pre-production time and a lot of things were done last minute. People bash that video for whatever reason but it's got Michael's influence written all over it, particularly the horror/fantasy element of it which he went on to do again in the 90's. Because the special effects in that video was so ahead of it's time, I think it could've easily gone down in history as one of the greatest videos of all time as well as the zenith point of the Jacksons visually. It would've been the first music video/short film to showcase his sequined garb glove/socks and sunglasses, since his others videos did not. I think it would've done a great job at capturing Michael's aura, and it may have defeated the necessity for Captain Eo since the themes of both are cut from the same cloth.

4. Prince not participating on the Bad song/album. I think Prince's ego got in the way of what could've been a moment in music history. I'm sure both of them had a "my way or the highway" mindset going into it. Since Prince sent Michael a record and Michael passed on it and vice versa. But the same way Michael and Freddie Mercury collaborated on a few records, Michael and Prince could've done the same.

5. Whitney Houston not appearing on I Just Can't Stop Loving You, another moment in music history that was missed. All because of politics really.

6. Moonwalker not being released in theaters. That movie did well overseas theaters and had sales of 60 million on a 20 million dollar budget, 800k on home video sales that year. Frank Dileo not being able to secure that release is some type of freak of nature that ruined their relationship. Moonwalker being released on Christmas '89 would've boosted Bad sales for sure.

7. Michael not starring in his own feature length film. Michael should've had his own Purple Rain, which was Moonwalker but the problem with Moonwalker is that it didn't have much dialogue and the theme/plot was too here and there. I don't blame critics for placing it in the anthology category/genre. Either it had to have that Smooth Criminal theme from start to finish or something entirely different. With as much dialogue as there was music. Purple Rain was realistic whereas Moonwalker was fantasy. Joe Pytka should've listened to Michael and made The Way You Make Me Feel Longer and revolved a short film or longer around that.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassVeteranOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,466 Times in 946 Posts

Default movie

Quote Originally Posted by TheThrillerGuy View Post
    Michael not starring in his own feature length film. Michael should've had his own Purple Rain, which was Moonwalker but the problem with Moonwalker is that it didn't have much dialogue and the theme/plot was too here and there. I don't blame critics for placing it in the anthology category/genre. Either it had to have that Smooth Criminal theme from start to finish or something entirely different. With as much dialogue as there was music. Purple Rain was realistic whereas Moonwalker was fantasy. Joe Pytka should've listened to Michael and made The Way You Make Me Feel Longer and revolved a short film or longer around that.
    Purple Rain was R rated though. It's doubtful Mike would have done a movie with that rating. Also Prince was at a company (Warner Brothers) that made films and TV shows. CBS Records/Epic didn't make movies. In the USA, Moonwalker was released on VHS on CMV Enterprises, which put out music video compilations.

The interesting thing about Purple Rain is that it was made at all. At the time Prince was just starting to get mainstream recognition after the 1999 album. He wasn't really a superstar yet.
    Prince's albums before 1999 were primarily popular with the R&B audience. Other than the parents, nobody in the movie was a professional actor and they weren't really household names that would get people to buy movie tickets. Commercial wise it would have made more sense to make a movie starring Journey.

I think Prince put up part of the money to get it made. Before when movies were made with music acts, they were really big superstars like Elvis & The Beatles.
    A lot of the early rock n roll movies were cheap & quickly made. The Purple Rain movie made Prince way more popular than he was, it was a surprise success. I think he was the first to have a #1 movie & album at the same time. Prince's next movie Under The Cherry Moon did not do well at all. Putting out a black & white movie in the mid-1980s was not likely to get much of an audience.

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 260
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First Class3 months registered5000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Re: Missed Opportunities

Doing more movies and acting. he was an very good actor. I would of loved him to do more movies he wanted to do.

a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,445 Times in 2,648 Posts

4. Prince not participating on the Bad song/album. I think Prince's ego got in the way of what could've been a moment in music history. I'm sure both of them had a "my way or the highway" mindset going into it. Since Prince sent Michael a record and Michael passed on it and vice versa. But the same way Michael and Freddie Mercury collaborated on a few records, Michael and Prince could've done the same.
    Honestly, I'm glad Prince never appeared on BAD. That song is perfect with just Michael by himself, but I would have loved to have them work on another song together. But I think it would have had to have been a one off single that wasn't going to be on any of their albums.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to analogue For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First Class3 months registered5000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Michael was an fantasy man. he was more into fantasy than reality. so it's understanding why Michael movies and acting wouldn't be nothing like Prince. i loved the Moonwalker. the plot was very small but cute. Michael was a man who loved short films and musicals so i'm guessing that what he was going for. also he liked the kids so i'm really thinking the movie was for kids. after all Michael was nothing a big kid himself.

I think the plot for the moonwalker to use your imagination. to believe. stay far away from drugs. help kids. and help save the world and fight for justice etc.

that's what i think the moonwalker was about. i give the movie 3 in half stars. it's one of my favorite movies now though it doesn't actually have a plot. i like Michael taste of humor and entrainment. it's so simple yet something to be amaze about and think about the plot or song yourself.

he nothing just big kid himself and somewhat a great story teller.

a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to NatureCriminal7896 For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

6. Moonwalker not being released in theaters. That movie did well overseas theaters and had sales of 60 million on a 20 million dollar budget, 800k on home video sales that year. Frank Dileo not being able to secure that release is some type of freak of nature that ruined their relationship. Moonwalker being released on Christmas '89 would've boosted Bad sales for sure.
    I agree. it really should of have been release in theaters in the USA back in 1988. Michael really could had more sales off the BAD album. not saying it didn't sale well because it did. but could of did so much more.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

5. Whitney Houston not appearing on I Just Can't Stop Loving You, another moment in music history that was missed. All because of politics really.
    I did not know she was gonna be on that. dang that's sucks. that would of been great i would of loved her and Michael do an duet together. sucks they never did any duets. samething goes for him and diana. so yeah Michael should of done more duets with people. i'm not saying the duet with him and siedah garrett was bad but I still would loved him to it with Whitney.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

1. Not shooting Captain Eo in 1984.: The whole Thriller campaign throughout 1983 went exactly as planned, and he ended the year with the release of Thriller in December of that year, with it's release as the final single in January of 1984. So while that germinates, all he had to do was collect awards that year and shoot Captain Eo that summer, so that it could be released in 1985. I'm not sure what the specifics were as far as who was on-board to direct and so on. But I'm sure with the Michael-mania at that time, it'd be strange for any top-tier director/producer to turn down the opportunity to work on a project like Captain Eo. Since it was already in pre-production in 1983 and Michael was pretty mum about it. Having We Are The World, the Thriller sales still going, AND Captain Eo would've kept Michael's lead amongst the industry, and given everyone else less time to catch up. He would've done it all in a short amount of time.
    I agree. that would of been nice.