Hypothetical: What Cover Songs Would You Like to Hear MJ Sing?

Mikky Dee

Sunset Driver, Midnight Rider
Michael rarely did cover songs and of course that is perfectly okay. BUT, hypothetically, if he DID perform a cover song....or record one, or release it.....what song (or songs) would you like to hear him sing?

This is not meant to be a serious "music analysis" thread.....I'm just interested in people's opinions and their general musings and day dreaming about this. Sometimes I hear a beautiful ballad or an R & B song, or something with funk and soul on the radio and I just think to myself, what a great job Michael would have done, with that song.

A song that I was listening to, just a couple of days ago, that I think would be beautiful with Michael singing it, is "All of Me" by John Legend. Mostly, I love the lyrics and I love the piano accompaniment. I'd be really interested to hear what Michael would do with it. He'd probably need to sing it in a higher key.....but even if he didn't.....oh, baby!

Wasn't there a rumour that he recorded a cover of Strawberry Fields Forever for Decade? Wether he did or not this is definetely a great song he should have covered!

Nice thread!
I would have been more than interested in hearing Michael do covers of songs that I think would have suited his voice. What comes to mind right now: Stevie Wonder - Superstition, Barry White - Never gonna give you up.
There is this snippet, where Michael is singing an Elvis song for his mother. Wish that was longer. It sounded great!

This is a great idea!

I would go for 5 songs, sorry to be greedy I would love to hear Michael's take on these
Bobby Brown, My Prerogative (HIStory era vocals)
Donny Hathaway, A Song For You (Bad Era vocals)
Stevie Wonder, Lately (Dangerous era vocals)
George Michael, Father Figure (Dangerous era vocals)
R Kelly, Keep Searchin' (Thriller/Invincible era vocals) Lady In My Life vibes

EVERY time I hear these 4 I can imagine Michael singing them...

Daniel Beddingfield - Nothing Hurts Like Love
Beyoncé - 1+1
Rihanna - Unfaithful
R Kelly - What I Feel/Issues

Gap Band - Someday
DeBarge - A Dream
Bar Kays - Traffic Jammer
Louis Jordan - Is You Is Or Is You Ain't My Baby
Terence Trent D'Arby & Des'ree - Delicate
Jazzyfatnastees - All Up In My Face
Sam Cooke - Another Saturday Night
Joe Simon - It Be's That Way Sometimes
Jon Hendricks, Bobby McFerrin, Al Jarreau, George Benson - Freddie Freeloader
Nolan Thomas - Yo Little Brother
Nat King Cole - Nature Boy
The O'Jays - I Love Music
Tramaine Hawkins - Holy One
Isley Brothers - Midnight Sky
Black Men United - U Will Know
Kimiko Kasai - Butterfly
Jamiroquai - If I Like It I Do It
The Time - It's Your World
Genesis - Just A Job To Do

The Week’nd - I Feel It Coming. It has MJ written all over it, man his voice would take this track to another level completely.

Someone here said elvis ....uummmmmmm i dont think vocally mike could so elvis songs they both have different voice range and imo i dont think mike would sound good doing elvis song

Someone here said elvis ....uummmmmmm i dont think vocally mike could so elvis songs they both have different voice range and imo i dont think mike would sound good doing elvis song
Mike has already sort of sung an Elvis song called For The Good Times, although it was first released by country singer Ray Price. But the one I heard the most was Al Green's, and Al's version is different from the others, his doesn't have a country sound. A lot of those early Elvis songs were remakes anyway, he wasn't the original singer. His versions just became more well known than the others. Just like some of Whitney Houston's 1980s hits were remakes of little known songs. Many people think Whitney was the original singer.
A singer doesn't have to do an imitation of another singer to sing a song. Aretha Franklin's version of Eleanor Rigby is a totally different arrangement from The Beatles original. Respect by Rotary Connection is different from the Otis Redding original and the more well known Aretha Franklin version. Gloria Gaynor's version of Never Can Say Goodbye is a disco arrangement instead of a ballad like the Jackson 5 version. Celia Cruz has a salsa version of Gloria's song I Will Survive and Chantay Savage has a slow version. There's different versions of I Heard It Though The Grapevine by Gladys Knight & The Pips, Marvin Gaye, and Roger Troutman and none of them sound alike. James Brown released different versions of his own songs in various years.

I want adult MJ to cover some Jackson 5 songs. :laughing:

To hear MJ - HIStory Era or later - sing songs like Ben, Never Can Say Goodbye, Be Not Always, Got to be There, Dancing Machine etc. would be cool.

BUT - I would also like to hear MJ sing some songs that are very different from his normal style. - R.E.M. - Everybody Hurts or Loosing My Religion would be cool.

Bobby McFerrin - Don't Worry, Be Happy

[QUOTETo hear MJ - HIStory Era or later - sing songs like Ben, Never Can Say Goodbye, Be Not Always, Got to be There, Dancing Machine etc. would be cool.][/QUOTE]

Yes this! wouldve been interesting to have heard mj sing those again older adult life

Yeh but they shouldve done more j5 songs but the thing was mike was sick n tired of being pushed to do j5 reunuion stuff. They constantly had to get mrs jackson to get michael to do them cuz if the bros straight out asked him he would say no

I know - but I am talking about a album recording version - that would sond a lot different than a live version.

The 30th Anniversary Concert we all know was re-dubbed by Michael in a studio.

^^^

If he should do a Georg Michael (Wham!) I would like to hear MJ's take on'Last Christmas' and mostly 'Secret Love' - I imagine a jazz version with a huge big band.

yes a george michael song done by mj wouldve been cool

you reckon?

The 30th Anniversary show on TV is completely different to what actually happened. Obviously a mix of both shows, it is trimmed, MJs face is blurred and he re-did vocals.

The 30th Anniversary show on TV is completely different to what actually happened. Obviously a mix of both shows, it is trimmed, MJs face is blurred and he re-did vocals.

Explains why they didnt show the way u make me feel with britney spears

Back