New MJ Tribute Song

Spidey

Proud Member
Does this contain samples from the Rodney Jerkin track???

Justin Bieber, NCT 127 & EXO Star Lay's New Song Is Written By Jason Derulo
24 October 2018, 13:56

Justin Bieber will reportedly team up with NCT 127 and Lay on 'Let's Shut Up and Dance'

Justin Bieber has teamed up with EXO member Lay to release a Michael Jackson tribute song called 'Let's Shut Up and Dance'.

Justin Bieber has been busy fuelling rumours he secretly got married to Hailey Baldwin - but he's also found time to record a Michael Jackson tribute song called 'Let's Shut Up and Dance' alongside EXO member Lay.

Details about the song have mostly been kept under wraps, however there are a few things we already kow about it and Lay has recently confirmed the song in an interview.

Justin Bieber and Lay will team up on Michael Jackson tribute son 'Let's Shut Up and Dance'
Justin Bieber and Lay will team up on Michael Jackson tribute son 'Let's Shut Up and Dance'. Picture: Twitter
Which artists are featured on 'Let's Shut Up and Dance'?

EXO member Lay, who recently collaborated with 'Beautiful' star Bazzi, is featured on the song as well as K-pop group NCT 127 and in a recent interview with Metro, Lay confirmed the news that Justin Bieber would also be part of the project.

Speaking about the song, Lay stated, "?It is my honour to join the Michael Jackson tribute and I really appreciate the chance to collaborate with great artists. It is my honour to get to collaborate with Jason Derulo and Justin Bieber."

"I'm thrilled to announce our first single entitled 'Let's Shut Up and Dance', with superstar pop sensation Jason Derulo and featuring K-pop supergroup NCT 127 and China superstar Lay from the group EXO."

Who wrote 'Let's Shut Up and Dance'?

As Lay confiirmed in his recent interview, Jason Derulo is the mastermind behind the song, having written it as a tribute to the late Michael Jackson.

Reports online suggest that Jason Derulo has not only written the lyrics for the song, but he's also composed the whole thing himself too.

EXO member Lay Zhang is about to release 'Let's Shut Up and Dance' alongside Justin Bieber and NCT 127
EXO member Lay Zhang is about to release 'Let's Shut Up and Dance' alongside Justin Bieber and NCT 127. Picture: Instagram
What is the release date for 'Let's Shut Up and Dance'?

The release date for the single is Friday 16th November 2018 and we can't wait to hear it!

Why is 'Let's Shut Up and Dance' being released?

Jerry Greenberg, chairman of 7SIX9 Entertainment, explained, "In honour of Michael's 60th birthday, I'm very excited to announce our Michael Jackson tribute project. We are announcing the first of four singles to be released over the next year."

He went on to add, "Our project will bring together artists from around the world to celebrate and honour Michael and his continuing global impact and influence on the world of music and dance."

What are the 'Let's Shut Up and Dance' lyrics?

As the song isn't released until 16th November 2018, the lyrics haven't yet been released for 'Let's Shut Up and Dance', but once they're available we'll share them with you straight away.

Why a collaboration with unknown artists (at least in Europe)?

I wonder if this song has something to do with the demo Michael recorded with almost the same song title.

dam2040;4232934 said:
'Shut Up And Dance' had no vocals, did it?

I don’t know for sure. Would be interesting to get some more info about this track.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Michael Jackson's tribute project featuring Lay, NCT 127, and Jason Derulo announces release date <a href="https://t.co/twgtnWaLKm">https://t.co/twgtnWaLKm</a> <a href="https://t.co/1W7g4fqfr3">pic.twitter.com/1W7g4fqfr3</a></p>&mdash; allkpop (@allkpop) <a href="https://twitter.com/allkpop/status/1086307718867140609?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">18. Januar 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

scaled.Jerry_and_Michael_Jackson_co_Photo_t940.jpg

If you recall, back in July 2018, we were announcing a tribute song to Michael Jackson by 769 Entertainment. It is finally coming next month!

The first song and music video for the Michael Jackson tribute project featuring Jason Derulo, Lay Zhang of K-pop boy band EXO and K-pop group NCT 127 will be released in February.

769 Entertainment headed by Jerry Greenberg, former president of Michael Jackson’s MJJ Music, announced that the single “Let’s Shut Up and Dance” will be released globally on Feb. 22.

“The first single and video homage from our Global Michael Jackson Tribute project ‘Let’s Shut Up and Dance’ will feature recording artist and song co-writer Jason Derulo, Asian pop stars LAY ZHANG from the group EXO and K-pop sensation NCT 127. Single and Music Video to be released globally February 22nd 2019,” the company posted on its website.

It said that “Let’s Shut Up and Dance” will be one of the four singles under the project that will be released this year. A special four-song EP box set will be released as well.
On Michael Jackson’s birthday last Aug. 29, 769 Entertainment announced artist lineup for the first song.

“Having worked with MJJ Music for over ten years, I became close to Michael and understand his incredible impact around the world. Michael Jackson’s influence is timeless and many generations, including today’s, have benefited greatly from his contributions to dance, music and culture,” said Greenberg.

Last October, Lay said he was honored to be part of the Michael Jackson tribute project.

“ It is my honor to join the Michael Jackson tribute and I really appreciate the chance to collaborate with great artists,” he said.

The report from July says Justin Bieber is involved, but the new article doesn’t even mention him. Did he drop out of the project or is he going to be featured in one of the three other singles?

This was planned for the Invincible album, so it's a cover in some sense, but Michael didn't sing it. Strange seeing K-pop artists on there, but might make it unique.

NCT haven't even had a top 10 in their respective country, most of their singles didn't even hit top 40. Could be wrong, but that's what Wiki said.
But Exo are considered popular in China, Korea and Japan.

"Shut Up and Dance" has no vocals. There's a demo with a soundalike that was submitted to MJ for consideration, but he never put his voice on it.

This was planned for the Invincible album, so it's a cover in some sense, but Michael didn't sing it. Strange seeing K-pop artists on there, but might make it unique.]

According to one of the artists involved, this "Shut Up and Dance" is an entirely original song by Jason Derulo.

dam2040;4232934 said:
'Shut Up And Dance' had no vocals, did it?

IMWhizzle;4232993 said:
I don&#8217;t know for sure. Would be interesting to get some more info about this track.

FD1998;4237498 said:
This was planned for the Invincible album, so it's a cover in some sense, but Michael didn't sing it.

AlwaysThere;4237501 said:
"Shut Up and Dance" has no vocals. There's a demo with a soundalike that was submitted to MJ for consideration, but he never put his voice on it.

According to Joe Vogel, &#8216;Shut Up And Dance&#8217; does not have complete MJ&#8217;s vocals on it.

Apparently, this means that there are some MJ&#8217;s vocals on that song, which MJ recorded it during the early recording &#8216;Invincible&#8217; sessions.

Justin beiber oh dear god

Justin Bieber loves Michael and I can't fault him for that.
So does Jason Derulo, who is very talented in song and dance.

Michael is hugely popular in Korea (K-Pop dancers emulate him regularly).

I'll be interested to see what they come up with, in this collaboration.

Great to see tributes being released (as opposed to documentaries filled with lies).

If it's a good song it will sell regardless of the accusations, IF it can get radio/TV airplay and listed on streaming services.

Remember what happened to Ignition (Remix). R Kelly was accused. He released a catchy tune and it was a smash hit! most recently though the #muteRKelly campaign has had success, so it's potentially going to limit the uptake of ANY MJ-related release.

I'm not hopeful for this particular track though just because of who is involved.
If it was a major label, with a major producer then maybe it could succeed. BUT will Sony Music or anybody else really want to be pro-MJ in these times?

I shudder to think what promotions and products were being planned for this year and that have now been cancelled because of the documentary. We may never know what they were.

As good as the intentions are, this song could just end up being shoved on Youtube where the fans enjoy it but it has no commercial opportunities, kinda like "Better on The Other Side" and a bunch of other MJ tribute songs.

Justin Bieber loves Michael and I can't fault him for that.
So does Jason Derulo, who is very talented in song and dance.

Michael is hugely popular in Korea (K-Pop dancers emulate him regularly).

I'll be interested to see what they come up with, in this collaboration.

Great to see tributes being released (as opposed to documentaries filled with lies).

true i just dont like justin beiber lol

I'm really curious to see if this uses parts of the track called Shut Up And Dance that Michael was working on. Was it ever confirmed if he ever recorded vocals for it like adlibs or just the chorus?

Wow this isn't getting enough attention here.

From what I've heard and seen I like it!

At least it's something positive to help through the bad times.

I think we should all get behind this one.

IF it is publicised as an MJ tribute song and if it gets radio support then it could be a success and that would send a clear message.

(trouble is any radio DJ talking about the MJ song is likely to also mention the documentary, giving the show more free promotion ahead of the air date. I would prefer they delay this song until the END of March. Or at least until after the streaming/catchup/on demand have removed LN.)

Last edited:
Wow this isn't getting enough attention here.

From what I've heard and seen I like it!

At least it's something positive to help through the bad times.

I think we should all get behind this one.

IF it is publicised as an MJ tribute song and if it gets radio support then it could be a success and that would send a clear message.

(trouble is any radio DJ talking about the MJ song is likely to also mention the documentary, giving the show more free promotion ahead of the air date. I would prefer they delay this song until the END of March. Or at least until after the streaming/catchup/on demand have removed LN.)

So nobody wants to a support this song?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="de"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">New Michael Jackson tribute song Let's Shut Up &amp; Dance by Jason Derulo, NCT 127 &amp; Chinese singer Lay Zhang from EXO is coming soon. This is the teaser <a href="https://t.co/SynJEJmrQ7">https://t.co/SynJEJmrQ7</a> out everywhere 2/22.</p>&mdash; MJJChina (@MJJCN1) <a href="https://twitter.com/MJJCN1/status/1098592726227005441?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">21. Februar 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Official music video.

https://youtu.be/57RCslDbPWw

Spotify link

https://open.spotify.com/track/05fVrhFBjfElZiDfHDRxhF?si=FY1Tm5JBSMSD36OBZSEugw

To be honest as an mj tribute song it's a total failure. It doesn't name or refer to mj at all. No mj vocal or song samples. As an mj fan I would never know it is an mj tribute by listening to it. It's a typical Jason derulo song. No more an mj tribute than any of his other songs.

Last edited:
Official music video.

https://youtu.be/57RCslDbPWw

Spotify link

https://open.spotify.com/track/05fVrhFBjfElZiDfHDRxhF?si=FY1Tm5JBSMSD36OBZSEugw

To be honest as an mj tribute song it's a total failure. It doesn't name or refer to mj at all. No mj vocal or song samples. As an mj fan I would never know it is an mj tribute by listening to it. It's a typical Jason derulo song. No more an mj tribute than any of his other songs.

This is almost exactly what I said to my girl. Yet again, what a let down and a forgettable song. Pass.

At a conference, MJ Music Day with Brad Buxer and Michael Prince, November 18, 2017 in Lille (France)
Who was great event :) I was there
Michael Prince, at the end of the conference, he made us listen to the song "'Let's Shut Up and Dance"
but he made it clear that it was "a fan idea", and that Michael was interested, one day to sing it!
and the song that made us listen was nothing but an "Imitator Vocal"!!!

So, I hope some "hustlers" will not have fun, leaked that song, and say "it's Michael Jackson singing"....

Thanks for sharing! The song isn't anything special but the video is fun and I like the fact it's a multicultural collaboration.

Aww, nice tribute! Michael being shown love is the best. :heart:

Nice to see them showing Mike some love. It's a shame it's not a better song but still. I like Jason Derulo, he always has respect Mike as well which is always cool

Back