History Tour Munich 1997

Danja

Proud Member
I was watching it last night and I don't think I can tell what is live and what not. Can anybody help me?

It is almost completely lip-synced. Wanna Be Startin Something and Jackson 5 Medley are live. Those are the only songs that are live. Also Michael starts singing near the end of some songs like Billie Jean and Beat It.

Scream - PLAYBACK
They Don't Care About Us - PLAYBACK
In The Closet – PLAYBACK with LIVE spoken part
Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' - LIVE
Stranger In Moscow - PLAYBACK
Smooth Criminal – PLAYBACK, in the end LIVE
You Are Not Alone – PLAYBACK
The Way You Make Me Feel - PLAYBACK
J5 Medley - LIVE
I'll Be There – LIVE
Billie Jean – PLAYBACK in the end LIVE
Thriller - PLAYBACK
Beat It – PLAYBACK in the end LIVE
Blood On The Dance Floor - PLAYBACK
Dangerous - PLAYBACK
Black Or White - PLAYBACK
Earth Song - PLAYBACK
Heal The World - PLAYBACK
HIStory - PLAYBACK

Only songs that are fully live are Wanna Be Starting Something and Jackson 5 Medley. The rest are lip-synced. Also towards the end of certain songs... Billie Jean, You Are Not Alone, Heal The World, he sings the ad-libs. Overall 90% of the show is lip-synced.

Thanks for the clarification. I thought the Earth Song and a couple of other songs were live, but I guess I was wrong.

MJ never intended to sing live the ‘Earth Song’ during the HIStory Tour.

He knew already that he could not manage that (in those upcoming concerts) because he had difficulty even singing it for the album.

His voice literally cracked while he was recording the final lines of the song during the sessions. It was then when he realized that singing it live properly later was just impossible for him.

He knew that his voice would crack also on stage if he tried to sing it live.

The HIStory Munich concert is a carbon copy of his other HIStory concerts, in terms of lip-synced/live songs ratio.

The only thing that the Munich concert differs in is that his voice in the few fully live songs is even worse because of his heavy medication at the time.

I have to say I'm surprised that anybody watching the full concert would have difficulty picking out the few live vocals in the show considering how much different they are from the album tracks.
I happened to see the Bon Jovi 'These Days' tour (1995) at Wembley on TV the other day and part way through Bon Jovi anounced that their album ('These Days') had just knocked Michael Jackson from number 1. The stand out thing is that the show was live and because of that it had so much energy compared to the mostly mimed HIStory tour which I saw at Wembley two years later.

I have to say I'm surprised that anybody watching the full concert would have difficulty picking out the few live vocals in the show considering how much different they are from the album tracks.
I happened to see the Bon Jovi 'These Days' tour (1995) at Wembley on TV the other day and part way through Bon Jovi anounced that their album ('These Days') had just knocked Michael Jackson from number 1. The stand out thing is that the show was live and because of that it had so much energy compared to the mostly mimed HIStory tour which I saw at Wembley two years later.

We saw different shows. Wembley was absolutely rocking and MJ was on fire July 12th 97.

I guess wishful thinking clouded my perception.

The vocals on Smooth Criminal for the HIStory sound different from the previous tours. I know the song is lip synced, but the vocals on the HWT sound different than before. Was the pitch changed to make it sound more live?

A common issue I noticed that is often brought up by many of his fans is why he lip-synced even the ballads/mid-tempo songs during the HIStory Tour.

He simply did that because he did not want to vocally ruin these songs with the roughness of his live voice.

Not because he was lazy or bored to sing them live, as it is wrongly claimed by some of them.

He was aware of the very bad, irreversible condition of his voice during that period &, as a result, he even quitted doing voice warm ups prior to those HIStory concerts, which in turn made his voice sound even harsher.

At Brunei 96, Michael was forced to sing the first verse of Scream because the playback failed, and his voice sounded really bad. And this was at the very start of the concert, so it's not like he was out of breath. This really shows that his voice was not at it's best during this time

So when MJ lip sync, the audio engineer turn off his microphone then turn back on for Wanna Be Startin' Something and when he talk to the audience?

So it's hard to sing live on most of the songs because MJ have to dance hard?

Watching the Royal Brunei show makes you notice why he chose to use playback for History. Not that his vocals were bad, it just makes you understand why he couldn't sing full out every song for that tour. History-Brunei Scream live is a perfect example.

A common issue I noticed that is often brought up by many of his fans is why he lip-synced even the ballads/mid-tempo songs during the HIStory Tour.

He simply did that because he did not want to vocally ruin these songs with the roughness of his live voice.

Not because he was lazy or bored to sing them live, as it is wrongly claimed by some of them.

He was aware of the very bad, irreversible condition of his voice during that period &, as a result, he even quitted doing voice warm ups prior to those HIStory concerts, which in turn made his voice sound even harsher.

Yes this is very interesting! Seth Riggs did not accompany MJ on the history tour as he had done on previous tours. Why he would stop warming up his voice before a show makes no sense to me. I wonder why stopped doing that.

I firmly believe that MJ was just unable to sing and dance at that point in time. Just look at scream from Brunei, the first song of the concert, he was already out of breath and hoarse. He couldn't do it anymore.

Even though it was mostly lip synced, I gotta say that Michael had way more energy at the Brunei show than what he did at the Royal Brunei show.

Even though it was mostly lip synced, I gotta say that Michael had way more energy at the Brunei show than what he did at the Royal Brunei show.
Agreed, although I like that he sang completely live on the Royal show he looked exhausted. History Brunei had much more energy. It's up there with Kuala Lumpur imo...

Agreed, although I like that he sang completely live on the Royal show he looked exhausted. History Brunei had much more energy. It's up there with Kuala Lumpur imo...

He didn't sing completely live at the Royal show.

I think the Basel concert is also energetic, it is especially noticeable in Billie Jean when he is busting out different moves. His voice sounded pretty good too. But yeah, I also consider HIStory Brunei more energetic than the Royal one. The 2nd night in Kuala Lumpur though, yeah, that one is good also.

He didn't sing completely live at the Royal show.
My mistake. I haven't watched it in a long time lol. I guess to be more accurate royal Brunei was the last concert that was mostly live. Dangerous tour style.

I think the Basel concert is also energetic, it is especially noticeable in Billie Jean when he is busting out different moves. His voice sounded pretty good too. But yeah, I also consider HIStory Brunei more energetic than the Royal one. The 2nd night in Kuala Lumpur though, yeah, that one is good also.
I actually haven't watched Basel. I'll have to watch that one. There's so many lol

I actually haven't watched Basel. I'll have to watch that one. There's so many lol

This is the Happylee version, but the original files (vob) were released last year. You should watch it, it is a good one. :)

ohh cool :) dont think i have seen the basel show

Themidwestcowboy;4234066 said:
Yes this is very interesting! Seth Riggs did not accompany MJ on the history tour as he had done on previous tours. Why he would stop warming up his voice before a show makes no sense to me. I wonder why stopped doing that.

I firmly believe that MJ was just unable to sing and dance at that point in time. Just look at scream from Brunei, the first song of the concert, he was already out of breath and hoarse. He couldn't do it anymore.

Warming up his voice (before the HIStory concerts) would not have helped him to improve his live singing for those shows.

The reason is that he evidently suffered also from chronic bronchitis during the HIStory Tour.

Physical exertion (like, intense dancing) significantly exacerbates the condition of one’s voice who suffers from that inflammation.

So, MJ knew that any possible, positive effects of voice warm-ups (prior to those shows) would be eliminated by his intense dancing on stage.

His chronic bronchitis (which badly affects the bronchial tubes that carry air to & from one’s lungs) explains also why he was already out of breath & hoarse even at the beginning of those concerts (as shown, for example, by ‘Scream’ from Brunei).

Do you have a link to a video or something where Jon Bon Jovi is saying 'These Days' knocked 'HIStory' down?

Back