Was "Leave Me Alone" inspired and developed from Rick James' "Forever and a Day"?

Fuzball

Proud Member
Was "Leave Me Alone" inspired and developed from Rick James' "Forever and a Day"?

Was "Leave Me Alone" inspired and developed from Rick James' "Forever and a Day"? LMA was recorded after Rick James album "The Flag" was released in April 1986. Your thoughts?

Re: Was "Leave Me Alone" inspired and developed from Rick James' "Forever and a Day"?

Definitely not "developed from" as he would then be credited. Also, I wouldn't say that MJ was inspired by this song.

Re: Was "Leave Me Alone" inspired and developed from Rick James' "Forever and a Day"?

I do hear a similarity in the intro, as I've also heard 100 intros that sound like MJ intros , wasn't it Greg Philengale who came up with the grove tho?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that this song could have inspired Leave me alone. It wouldn't be the first time MJ borrowed elements from another song without crediting the artist.

Wasn't BAD and most songs around that time created on synthesizers like the Fairlight? I thought it was pre-set with hundreds of beats and grooves that people could use to go on and develop songs from. Rick James' songs were probably created the same way.

The into sounds similar, but it also sounds similar to that new Bryan Loren song somebody just posted.

I don't think this is the case. I remember clearly how Greg Phillinganes explained in the Bad 25 documentary how he sat by the keyboard and started to jam out that groove with the accenting string part with Mike bobbing his head to it...

I don't think this is the case. I remember clearly how Greg Phillinganes explained in the Bad 25 documentary how he sat by the keyboard and started to jam out that groove with the accenting string part with Mike bobbing his head to it...
Yeah, I actually remember that too.

no i dont think so i think the whole got inspired from what he was going through with the press and i guess the melody etc came to his head .Mike said that normally worked with his music

It's just similarities in the synth sounds and drum machine sounds (& effects on them) that were en vogue at that time. Classic mid 80s sound. There's a ton more from those days.

OnirMJ;4234788 said:
Definitely not "developed from" as he would, then be credited. Also, I wouldn't say that MJ was inspired by this song.

Themidwestcowboy;4234800 said:
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that this song could have inspired Leave me alone. It wouldn't be the first time MJ borrowed elements from another song without crediting the artist.

If ‘Leave Me Alone’ sampled Rick James’ ‘Forever And A Day’ then MJ would have credited him.

But inspiration from a song does not require crediting the artist.

Nighty;4234809 said:

This does not necessarily exclude the possibility of Greg Phillinganes being inspired by that James’ song in the first place.

We have to keep in mind that MJ’s musicians (during those sessions) were listening to countless songs from other artists in order for them to get musical ideas for songs that would make MJ’s ‘BAD’ album.

8701girl;4234833 said:
no i dont think so i think the whole got inspired from what he was going through with the press and i guess the melody etc came to his head .Mike said that normally worked with his music

What he was going through with the press at that time?

In fact, MJ himself along with Frank Dileo were intentionally feeding the press with most of those stories during that period.

If he was inspired, why he would credit the artist ?

mj_frenzy;4234845 said:
If ‘Leave Me Alone’ sampled Rick James’ ‘Forever And A Day’ then MJ would have credited him.

But inspiration from a song does not require crediting the artist.

1nn5;4234848 said:
If he was inspired, why he would credit the artist ?

This is a bit misleading, I didint imply that he should credit an artist whenever he gets inspired by one, what I wrote was
It wouldn't be the first time MJ borrowed elements from another song without crediting the artist. Sometimes such a thing may be so small that it doesn’t warrant crediting the artist and sometimes it does.

We all know the story about how MJ said that he borrowed the groove from Hall & Oates for Billie Jean

Or the case of the song Cheater where he basically used the same chord progression and the same vocal melody as a song from the staple singers.

It's not only the instrumental, the vocalizing of the verses have also some similarities. Listen to the red marked parts, do you notice their similar way of articulation?

Rick James - Forever and a Day

Baby if you love me, come on girl and show me
Tell me what I must do
Got you where I want you, I love you girl it's only
Something I'm saying
Baby if you feel it, come on girl and meet
And give me what I desire
Lots of pretty presents I'll lay at your feet
Just let me turn on your fire, yeah

MJ - Leave Me Alone

I don't care what you talkin' 'bout baby
I don't care what you say
Don't you come walkin' beggin' back mama
I don't care anyway
Dime after dime, I gave you all of my money
No excuses to make
Ain't no mountain that I can't climb baby
All is going my way

What he was going through with the press at that time?

In fact, MJ himself along with Frank Dileo were intentionally feeding the press with most of those stories during that period.

just look at the video it pretty much says it all

Electro;4234837 said:
It's just similarities in the synth sounds and drum machine sounds (& effects on them) that were en vogue at that time. Classic mid 80s sound. There's a ton more from those days.

It is the instrumental rhythms between these two songs that sound very similar.

Suspiciously similar, one might say.

Fuzball;4234885 said:
It's not only the instrumental, the vocalizing of the verses have also some similarities. Listen to the red marked parts, do you notice their similar way of articulation?

Rick James - Forever and a Day

Baby if you love me, come on girl and show me
Tell me what I must do
Got you where I want you, I love you girl it's only
Something I'm saying
Baby if you feel it, come on girl and meet
And give me what I desire
Lots of pretty presents I'll lay at your feet
Just let me turn on your fire, yeah

MJ - Leave Me Alone

I don't care what you talkin' 'bout baby
I don't care what you say
Don't you come walkin' beggin' back mama
I don't care anyway
Dime after dime, I gave you all of my money
No excuses to make
Ain't no mountain that I can't climb baby
All is going my way

Yes, there is also a similar way of voice articulation on those parts, apart from the instrumental aspect.

8701girl;4234887 said:
just look at the video it pretty much says it all

The ‘Leave Me Alone’ music video is a bit hypocritical.

MJ himself along with Frank Dileo created most of those stories at that time, & then they planted them on media/press in order to build a certain public image for MJ.

For example, during that period MJ wanted to gain a supernatural aura attached to his personality.

The stories of him wanting to buy the bones of the Elephant Man & sleeping in a hyperbaric chamber so as to reach the age of 150 years old are just two of those stories (that he created) which served that supernatural purpose.

I dont think they created them they have some responsbility with some of it but the media went too far with it cuz if they knew mike and frank created it (like you say) why bother printing it then? thats why the media are at fault too

I dont think they created them they have some responsbility with some of it but the media went too far with it cuz if they knew mike and frank created it (like you say) why bother printing it then? thats why the media are at fault too

The answer is simple: MONEY! You know everyboy wanting a piece of Michael Jackson, everybody watching the news on Michael Jackson ... wait that's a Cascio fraud ...wait again, wasn't that all about money, too?

8701girl;4234960 said:

I am not just saying it.

It is what exactly happened.

MJ & his team paid media/press in order to print & disseminate most of those stories.

That was part of MJ’s strategy back then (mid - late 80s) when he thought that his success would be even bigger if he started to be depicted as a bizarre personality.

Media were at fault too, to some extent, on the basis that they should not have received money in order to print the stories that an artist created & sent to them. That was unethical on their part & definitely disrespectful towards their own readers.

The answer is simple: MONEY! You know everyboy wanting a piece of Michael Jackson, everybody watching the news on Michael Jackson ... wait that's a Cascio fraud ...wait again, wasn't that all about money, too?

True i guess i never thought of it like that

mj_frenzy;4234972 said:
I am not just saying it.

It is what exactly happened.

MJ & his team paid media/press in order to print & disseminate most of those stories.

That was part of MJ’s strategy back then (mid - late 80s) when he thought that his success would be even bigger if he started to be depicted as a bizarre personality.

Media were at fault too, to some extent, on the basis that they should not have received money in order to print the stories that an artist created & sent to them. That was unethical on their part & definitely disrespectful towards their own readers.

You know looking back on it i wish i michael never did that i dont understand why he thought it wouldve helped his career . like you say he wanted to have a ''mysterious'' persona bout himself but it backfired on him BIG time i

Back