Has Sony forced the Jackson bros to hurry with the release of what became Victory?

Fuzball

Proud Member
Has Sony forced the Jackson bros -in order to capitalize from Thrillers success- to hurry with the release of their next album?

This comment's from a guy named Lawrence Worrell

Lawrence Worrell said:
.I hung with the brothers a couple of hours before showtime when they performed here in NYC....my very good friend Yvette Barlowe whose husband was their manager for awhile was also one of their background singers? ... as Jackie told me, that's all of the brothers harmonizing doing their trademark ooozing block harmonies and the fact that the song [The Hurt] was never finished....there were 40 songs recorded for the "Victory" album but because of Sony's greedy ass rushing to capitalize more off of the "Thriller" album, there was no real process to choosing which songs made the final cut?

Sony had nothing to do with Victory. Sony bought CBS Records (and all their subsidiaries like Epic Records) only in 1988 and Victory was recorded in 1984.

It probably was rushed out to capitalize on Thriller's success/Michaelmania and thank god because it made the Bad album even better.
I don't think Michael had any interest in the album, we know he wasn't satisfied with the tour from his book

Fuzball;4235824 said:
Has Sony forced the Jackson bros -in order to capitalize from Thrillers success- to hurry with the release of their next album?

This comment's from a guy named Lawrence Worrell

SmoothCriminal1995;4235887 said:
It probably was rushed out to capitalize on Thriller's success/Michaelmania and thank god because it made the Bad album even better.

In actual reality, the exact opposite happened.

The record company did not rush at all the release of the ‘Victory’ album in order to capitalize from the success of ‘Thriller’.

The ‘Victory’ album initially was about to get a release in March (1984), but it was shelved until sales of the ‘Thriller’ album began to fall off.

Eventually, the ‘Victory’ album was released 4 moths later (July) when sales of the ‘Thriller’ album did begin to fall off.

This has been documented by Adrian Grant (‘A Visual Documentary’ book) but also by other printed reports from that period.

I remember stories about how many versions of the cover painting were made before it was finalized... these stories didn’t sound like the album was rushed.

I know the Songs: "Buffalo Bill" (Michael) & "Bad Company" (Tito) were ready for Victory but not added in the final Product

Short answer - no. Obviously Lawrence Worrell doesn't know his music history, as far as the Jacksons' timeline is concerned.

40 songs recorded. Hahahahahah

That fan club record was recorded right after Motown 25 was filmed and apparently, they had been working on songs then, with them mentioning they had about 15 songs by then

Jet magazine- October 7, 1983
W1lIOps.jpg

Billboard- November 26, 1983
COAf6K3.png

their last album 'triumph' was released 4 years prior to 'victory'. that wasn't their usual pattern. with the exception of 1979 when Michael did 'off the wall', they had an album out every year. 'thriller' changed everything. so many singles had never been released from an album before (not sure about other artists). that, with the help of the short films and Motown 25, helped to boost the album's sales. the more that happened the longer the campaign lasted. Michael was a solo artist at this point, and didn't have as much time for a group recording. that is why he didn't feature as much on the 'victory' album. even though there was a large gap between the 'triumph'/'victory' album and tour, 'victory' was still rushed. the songs sound unfinished ('state of shock'), and the tour was a repeat of 'triumph' with the added 'thriller' songs and Jermaine's solo.

That fan club record was recorded right after Motown 25 was filmed and apparently, they had been working on songs then, with them mentioning they had about 15 songs by then

Aren't a few of those demos reworked for BAD, like Liberian Girl, Buffalo Bill, Chicago 1945, & Dirty Diana???

Back