Any news on the This is it project?

mjawb2009

Proud Member
Since 2019 will be the 10th anniversary of This is it I was wondering whether anyone has any news on the project and what are your thoughts on a potential re-release? I'm guessing any news will be released closer to the time, e.g over next summer/fall.

I don't think there's really anything entirely unseen they could release except the dangerous rehearsal.

I don’t think they will release anything tbh...

There plenty of footage to share.. even if they are afraid the performance quality isnt great. There are those meetings and behind the scene footage that we got glimpses of that they could show more of.. or even sections of performances.

It doesnt habe to be just like this is it but more a documentary that people speak about it and show mini clips kind of like the special features did

I just dont know if theyll ever actually do it

I personally don’t think there is any unseen performances of songs we didn’t get to see. They would have put these on the DVD/Blu Ray bonus disc if it did exist.

I believe there is about 7 performances that haven't been seen yet: Stranger in Moscow, Rock With You, Dangerous, Dirty Diana, Will You Be There, Heal The World/We Are The World. Also there are the meetings and unedited/extended performances the could reuse later.

If those do exist, why weren't they included in the film? I doubt they were fully rehearsed if rehearsed at all.
I believe there is about 7 performances that haven't been seen yet: Stranger in Moscow, Rock With You, Dangerous, Dirty Diana, Will You Be There, Heal The World/We Are The World. Also there are the meetings and unedited/extended performances the could reuse later.

If those do exist, why weren't they included in the film? I doubt they were fully rehearsed if rehearsed at all.

Those songs were indeed rehearsed with MJ. in the AEG trial they withheld showing footage because they had plans to release it later, I'm paraphrasing btw.

Those songs were indeed rehearsed with MJ. in the AEG trial they withheld showing footage because they had plans to release it later, I'm paraphrasing btw.

Did they specifically say that? I only saw that they said Sony didn't want to provide footage because it had a high value to them.

Did they specifically say that? I only saw that they said Sony didn't want to provide footage because it had a high value to them.

https://www.tmz.com/2011/06/11/mich...ad-murray-manslaughter-trial-sony-subpoenaed/
The last videos of Michael Jackson were so top secret, they were transported in an unmarked truck, accompanied by armed guards in the dead of the night ... this according to new docs filed in the Conrad Murray manslaughter case.

You ask what Conrad Murray has to do with MJ videos? Well, Dr. Murray wants to see ALL of the rehearsal videos shot for the doomed "This is It" tour. Murray's lawyers believe it could show Michael was in such a frail condition ... there were many reasons for his death other than Propofol.

Murray's lawyers subpoenaed the tapes, but now Sony Pictures -- which has possession of the videos -- is objecting for several reasons. Sony claims there are more than 20 boxes of videos and it would cost $200,000 to log and reproduce all of them.

But in the docs, Sony describes how top secret the videos were to the studio. Sony lawyers say, "When they were transported to the Sony lot in Culver City, the transport in an unmarked truck was accompanied by armed guards in the dead of the night."

When the tapes were in an editing bay, security guards were posted outside the door and no Internet access was allowed in the room.

And a Sony honcho also submitted a declaration which says the videos "have a high monetary value inherent in their potential for future uses. Those uses include one or more 'anniversary editions.'"

https://www.tmz.com/2011/06/11/mich...ad-murray-manslaughter-trial-sony-subpoenaed/
The last videos of Michael Jackson were so top secret, they were transported in an unmarked truck, accompanied by armed guards in the dead of the night ... this according to new docs filed in the Conrad Murray manslaughter case.

You ask what Conrad Murray has to do with MJ videos? Well, Dr. Murray wants to see ALL of the rehearsal videos shot for the doomed "This is It" tour. Murray's lawyers believe it could show Michael was in such a frail condition ... there were many reasons for his death other than Propofol.

Murray's lawyers subpoenaed the tapes, but now Sony Pictures -- which has possession of the videos -- is objecting for several reasons. Sony claims there are more than 20 boxes of videos and it would cost $200,000 to log and reproduce all of them.

But in the docs, Sony describes how top secret the videos were to the studio. Sony lawyers say, "When they were transported to the Sony lot in Culver City, the transport in an unmarked truck was accompanied by armed guards in the dead of the night."

When the tapes were in an editing bay, security guards were posted outside the door and no Internet access was allowed in the room.

And a Sony honcho also submitted a declaration which says the videos "have a high monetary value inherent in their potential for future uses. Those uses include one or more 'anniversary editions.'"

So yeah what I just said haha, I was just wondering if there was anything more detailed in the courts that proved those songs were rehearsed. Thanks for the link, though!

Last edited:
I hope if there is a new release that it is kept real to the time and the vocals are kept true, if possible.

I hope if there is a new release that it is kept real to the time and the vocals are kept true, if possible.

If anything else it released it will be dubbed or have vocals copied and pasted from various rehearsals like it was in the film. They won't release raw rehearsals unfortunately even though I'd probably prefer that.

As far as I know the only ones that there is any proof they actually exist are Dirty Diana (although apparently this wasn't even properly rehearsed) and dangerous. The others we're just going off of pictures of rehearsals which honestly don't really tell us what songs are being rehearsed in them lol.

Tapes??? It was 2009.. really doubt this. Why should they put or film stuff on tape.. in 2009 no-one filmed on tape anymore.. makes no sense..

kai;4236080 said:
Tapes??? It was 2009.. really doubt this. Why should they put or film stuff on tape.. in 2009 no-one filmed on tape anymore.. makes no sense..

As far as my memory goes all the footage were shot digitally. They had only one or two HD cameras (I think it was a RED camera) and a cheap handycam which didn’t shoot in HD, but at a lower resolution (as seen in the film, the picture qualify differences between them). These “tapes” were not meant for a release, since it was a rehearsal.

There is no point in officially releasing footage in which MJ did not rehearse at all, but only the band/dancers rehearsed (like, ‘Stranger In Moscow’, or ‘Dirty Diana’, among others).

Hardly anyone would really care to see that, let alone pay for that.

But, here is an interesting thing:

It has been suggested by some of those who worked on ‘This Is It’ that MJ did re-record brand new vocals for ‘Stranger In Moscow’ with a view to using them (instead of the album vocals) for those performances.

Material like the alleged new vocals for ‘Stranger In Moscow’ has certainly more monetary potential for the Estate, because that would meet with bigger demand from fans.

mj_frenzy;4236083 said:
There is no point in officially releasing footage in which MJ did not rehearse at all, but only the band/dancers rehearsed (like, ‘Stranger In Moscow’, or ‘Dirty Diana’, among others).

Hardly anyone would really care to see that, let alone pay for that.

But, here is an interesting thing:

It has been suggested by some of those who worked on ‘This Is It’ that MJ did re-record brand new vocals for ‘Stranger In Moscow’ with a view to using them (instead of the album vocals) for those performances.

Material like the alleged new vocals for ‘Stranger In Moscow’ has certainly more monetary potential for the Estate, because that would meet with bigger demand from fans.

I think Michael Prince said they started re recording SIM and WBSS but then MJ said he wanted to sing live as much as possible so they stopped. I very much doubt a full re recorded version of those songs exist.

Just to clarify, other songs were for sure 100% rehearsed. SIM, Dangerous, WYBT, Dirty Diana.. DD though never got it's full rehearsal with the bed, that was to be done the 25th.

Not all were rehearsed at the staple center but at the forum.. side note the way this is it was edited, they took alot from the forum performances and edited it with staple center and just advertised it as so.. with the songs that were not rehearsed at staple center theyd have to be forced to use only forum rehearsals which could also be not used in the film specifically because it becomes more obvious it was NOT within his last 3 days like they were trying to advertize..

Watch the movie again and see how the stage changes as do the color of the seats in the arena.. 1 is the forum and the other is staple center..

Lets not forget about this.
Well... you cannot tell if this is real or not... maybe its just the studio version.. though i believe sometimes the vocals sound different.
But i remember when those videos came out. It was in like march or april 2009 i guess.. They were still rehearsing. I remember the excitement about those videos.

Just to clarify, other songs were for sure 100% rehearsed. SIM, Dangerous, WYBT, Dirty Diana.. DD though never got it's full rehearsal with the bed, that was to be done the 25th.

Not all were rehearsed at the staple center but at the forum.. side note the way this is it was edited, they took alot from the forum performances and edited it with staple center and just advertised it as so.. with the songs that were not rehearsed at staple center theyd have to be forced to use only forum rehearsals which could also be not used in the film specifically because it becomes more obvious it was NOT within his last 3 days like they were trying to advertize..

Watch the movie again and see how the stage changes as do the color of the seats in the arena.. 1 is the forum and the other is staple center..

They were rehearsed but I personally doubt they were rehearsed with MJ there. Dirty Diana was but the others I doubt it.

I think Michael Prince said they started re recording SIM and WBSS but then MJ said he wanted to sing live as much as possible so they stopped. I very much doubt a full re recorded version of those songs exist.

Seeing as how the majority of Michael's live performances were lip synced from 1995 onward, I find it surprising that Michael suddenly wanted to sing live as much as possible in 2009. Especially considering that he was obviously older in 2009 than what he was in the 90's.

Lets not forget about this.
Well... you cannot tell if this is real or not... maybe its just the studio version.. though i believe sometimes the vocals sound different.
But i remember when those videos came out. It was in like march or april 2009 i guess.. They were still rehearsing. I remember the excitement about those videos.

Playback imo. Just band rehearsals.

Seeing as how the majority of Michael's live performances were lip synced from 1995 onward, I find it surprising that Michael suddenly wanted to sing live as much as possible in 2009. Especially considering that he was obviously older in 2009 than what he was in the 90's.

Michael Prince said that he wanted to sing live as much as possible and if he couldn't then they would just use the backing track to help him like they had always done. I don't think it would have worked out that way and I think most of the concert would have been lip synced but that was apparently MJ's intentions for the concerts.

When it comes to live singing, I think that This Is It would have been similar to the Dangerous Tour

Back