Thriller 4k

wonderouzmj

Proud Member
Incredibly we still can not buy / see the restoration when more than a year ago the ... unfortunate premiered.*I can not understand the mismanagement of MJ's estate managers.*

Being healthy envy of the followers of other artists like the Beatles, Doors, Bowie, Elvis ... who have very careful versions of their materials.*

I do not understand that Thriller still does not have a documentary at the level of Bad 25 or Off The Wall, that Dangerous does not have a 25th anniversary version ... is it possible to do worse?*

That there are no videos of MJ in HD outside of Moonwalker ... scary!*It is going completely contrary to the work that characterized Michael.*What a disappointment of management on the part of the heirs.
https://mega.nz/#!HghQ2A5S!P7EWcCYzE62iw0n2nDOUVIWMMMC8kfB0kNuoI4zPAEQ

It sounded like last year they intend to release Thriller at Halloween every year.

Whatever way you look at it though this is a complete and utter mess. From a PR point of view, the time to strike with that Thriller remaster was when news outlets everywhere reported on the Venice premiere. Instead they let all that die off and then came back the next year and after creating a bit of noise again and a trailer AGAIN allowed it to quietly die off in a corner (from a UK perspective). A film that's been hanging around for it's third year is no longer an event, whatever PR they do generate for it in 2019 won't reach anywhere near the heights it would have.

And if it's true that the major UK chains just chose not to show the film (as someone here claimed) then the future for UK distribution looks very bleak. Though I don't buy that as true, certainly.

Despite the low probability of wide cinema distribution in the UK, if the Estate intend to trot this out every other Halloween in theatres internationally, it's not going to get any home release for the forseeable future.

it's not going to get any home release for the forseeable future.
If they were planning to release it as a home video, what would be the point on spending money to make it 3D? I don't think most people have 3D televisions. I'm not sure how it makes money by putting it in front of a movie though, since most people going to see the movie are going to see it anyway. If Thriller (the song) was in the movie as part of the soundtrack, then I could see it making money. Then it was only shown for the 1st week. It wasn't really announced that Thriller was going to be shown other than Jack Black mentioning it on Jimmy Fallon. I saw TV ads for the movie and Thriller was not mentioned. So probably not much of the general public knew about it. Plus there aren't that many IMAX screens compared to regular screens that most people go to and IMAX tickets cost more.

Being healthy envy of the followers of other artists like the Beatles, Doors, Bowie, Elvis ... who have very careful versions of their materials.*

Heh, Being a big fan of The Doors and Elvis and dealing with the way their catalogue is being managed is just as frustrating at times, lol.

I agree tho, It is completely ridiculous that a catalogue as legendary and revered as MJs isn't being treated with more respect. His music videos especially deserve better than what is currently available. I wish Sony would do new restorations of all of MJ's videos using the original sources reconstructed in HD and release them in a box set on Blu-ray or Ultra 4k., similar to the way all 7 seasons of Star Trek: The Next Generation were remastered in HD. The recent 3D theatrical presentation of Thriller proves that a restoration of this magnitude is possible.

Last edited:
Heh, Being a big fan of The Doors and Elvis and dealing with the way their catalogue is being managed is just as frustrating at times, lol.

I agree tho, It is completely ridiculous that a catalogue as legendary and revered as MJs isn't being treated with more respect. His music videos especially deserve better than what is currently available. I wish Sony would do new restorations of all of MJ's videos using the original sources reconstructed in HD and release them in a box set on Blu-ray or Ultra 4k., similar to the way all 7 seasons of Star Trek: The Next Generation were remastered in HD. The recent 3D theatrical presentation of Thriller proves that a restoration of this magnitude is possible.

That would be a dream project man. I wish they would get around to doing something like this but the past 10 years have proven otherwise. I don't think the Estate should be run by two lawyers. I think MJ's body of work needs a professional team or company that can properly invest the resources and passion to remaster old footage and have a steady release of HD short films and concert performances at the very least. They're just sleeping on it. They think because they generating so much money for the estate since Michael's passing that their tenure was a success. Sure, no one will deny that it was a step in the right direction and that any debts were taken care of, but what about Michael's artistic legacy? It pretty much only exists on YouTube nowadays. Sadly..

That would be a dream project man. I wish they would get around to doing something like this but the past 10 years have proven otherwise. I don't think the Estate should be run by two lawyers. I think MJ's body of work needs a professional team or company that can properly invest the resources and passion to remaster old footage and have a steady release of HD short films and concert performances at the very least. They're just sleeping on it. They think because they generating so much money for the estate since Michael's passing that their tenure was a success. Sure, no one will deny that it was a step in the right direction and that any debts were taken care of, but what about Michael's artistic legacy? It pretty much only exists on YouTube nowadays. Sadly..
Sad but true. I wish MJs children were running things (or were at least more involved). Paris had no idea about scream until she seen a random billboard lol. I would imagine they would give the fans what they want if they were given some input on future releases. A legacy concert collection would be amazing. Showcase concerts from the early days to the History tour. Show the new generations why hes the King of Pop :)

MJ concert needs to be on Netflix. Would be huge.

The estate don't give a rip about MJ's artistic legacy unfortunately. As long as they can make some short term profit with the least effort put in they will be happy.

The estate don't give a rip about MJ's artistic legacy unfortunately. As long as they can make some short term profit with the least effort put in they will be happy.

This all would end if fans just stop to support the estate.. not buying anything etc.. but impossible.

kai;4236389 said:
This all would end if fans just stop to support the estate.. not buying anything etc.. but impossible.

I didn’t buy Off The Wall, Scream or the vinyl box set. They get my money when they do something worthwhile. Until then, nothing. They can’t keep getting supported for absolute garbage. It’s got MJs name on it, it needs to be a class above the rest.

I don't need it on BluRay / 3D / 4K whatever...
Thriller is an 1980s zombie flick.
Most authentic to be watched from worn out VHS cassette on tube tv! :D

Chances of this actually ever coming out?

I thought about that the other day. I don't see it happening this year, or for the foreseeable future at least in cinemas.

I'm quite glad I made the trip last year to see it in IMAX, when I had the chance.

Last Christmas

Have you seen they have remastered Wham - Last Christmas in 4k?

MJ needs the same treatment
But it's one video just like Thriller and Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer. Only the acts most popular video has been done in 4K, it's not like Wham! Rap has gotten the treatment. None of George Michael's solo videos is 4K either.

Bump for those who didn't have access to my upload or haven't seen it at all

I can't believe the Estate has this - the most iconic musicvideo ever made - and yet have not released it...

I know very well MJ called it short films, but in my opinion they are music videos nontheless...

Ghosts is half an hour that one stands out, it really is a short film, but the rest of the songs have musicvideos IMO. :)

Call them what you want - we all know what we are talking about.

I know very well MJ called it short films, but in my opinion they are music videos nontheless...

Ghosts is half an hour that one stands out, it really is a short film, but the rest of the songs have musicvideos IMO. :)

Call them what you want - we all know what we are talking about.
I feel you on that. Although some were shorts & some were videos. Can you feel it was really the 1st short, then thriller, bad, i guess i can say speed demon, smooth criminal, twymmf,l.g, black or white, remember the time, ghost, rock my world, are imo considered short films. The others, music videos. Some of what i listed most would say are videos but some video channels cut these to short or like sc where it was actually sped up & probably looked cool in the 80s

Michael never liked people calling his work music videos. anyone can have their own opinion but the king never liked that. looking back i can understand why. it may not be talk about alot but michael pretty much made "music videos". they hardy talk about it. but it's true.

but some video channels cut these to short or like sc where it was actually sped up & probably looked cool in the 80s

people did that because it would give the networks more time to show other artists "music videos". if a show suppose to end at 3 o' clock they would have to make it fit with the time slot.

michael didn't like that at all. that's why he didn't like the short version of you rock my world. i can understand how he felt. but those short films was too long for the networks. other artists needed their time too. poor mike :laughing:

Back