Page 1109 of 1124 FirstFirst ... 109609100910591099110711081109111011111119 ... LastLast
Results 16,621 to 16,635 of 16848

Thread: Controversial MJ Documentary "Leaving Neverland" [GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD]

Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 659
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,300 Times in 1,562 Posts

Default Re: Controversial MJ Documentary "Leaving Neverland" [GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD]

I've added this to the 'Square One' thread because it was recorded during the same weekend (in the Netherlands), but from appx 6 mins. Taj talks about 'LN', so I thought it would be helpful to copy this video here as well:

Taj Jackson and Danny Wu visited the HU University of Applied Sciences Utrecht on 17 January 2020 to chat to the students of the Journalism Program.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRcO...EoWZhKACKUjHY4

Last edited by myosotis; 28-01-2020 at 10:18 PM.
    'We may not change the world in one day but we still can change some things today, in our small way.'[/SIZE][/SIZE]

2. The Following User Says Thank You to myosotis For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 659
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,300 Times in 1,562 Posts

Default Re: Controversial MJ Documentary "Leaving Neverland" [GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD]

Interesting article about Oprah's recommendation of a book called 'American Dirt', which purports to be a 'true to life' fictional tale of Latin migrants to the USA.

I think we all know about Oprah's 'self-serving revenue streams' and how 'communities of colour are not allowed to tell their own stories (eg Brandi, who never got a hearing from Oprah after LN).

Oprah needs to clean up her ‘American Dirt’ mess

Oprah Winfrey will soon host a conversation about “American Dirt,” a novel mired in controversy that’s also the latest selection for her book club.

It’s too little too late. Winfrey should rescind her support now.

In nearly 25 years, only once has the entertainment mogul yanked a coveted book club endorsement. That came in 2006, after James Frey’s memoir about his addiction and recovery, “A Million Little Pieces,” turned out to be far more fiction than fact.

“American Dirt" needs to be the second.

For months, Jeanine Cummins’s novel about a Mexican mother and her young son heading to the border to escape a drug cartel has been widely criticized in Latinx circles for perpetuating what writer and translator David Bowles calls a “pastiche of stereotypes and melodramatic tropes of the sort one might expect from an author who did not grow up within Mexican culture.”

Cummins has long identified as white. In interviews, she now mentions her Puerto Rican grandmother, and some headlines call her “a white Latina.” She says she deeply researched the book, including spending time in Mexico.

Yet this isn’t about how Cummins self-identifies. It’s about a novel fostering stereotypes, and what happens when communities of color get shut out from telling their own stories.

........................... Yet it was Winfrey’s anointing that catapulted the book into public consciousness and a rigorous debate about cultural appropriation, stereotypes, and how the publishing industry does not value communities of color telling their own stories.

Appearing on “CBS This Morning” last week with Cummins, Winfrey said, “I thought this humanized that migration process in a way that nothing else I had ever felt or seen had." The book, she said, "changed the way I see what it means to be an immigrant trying to come to this country.”

Not children in cages. Not the bodies of Oscar Alberto Martínez Ramírez and his young daughter, Angie Valeria, Salvadoran refugees who drowned trying to cross the Rio Grande. Not Juan de León Gutiérrez, 16; Jakelin Caal Maquin, 7; Felipe Gómez Alonzo, 8, and other children who have died in the custody of this savage administration. For Winfrey, what “humanized” these stories is a novel that’s margarine pretending to be butter.

................“American Dirt” also serves hollow, cliche-ridden representations of the people about which it purportedly cares. Still, this is the novel Winfrey, whose book club has featured few Latinx authors among its 80-plus selections, chose, lifting Cummins from obscurity to literary celebrity.

In a recent Instagram post, Winfrey, who had remained mostly silent after her initial selection announcement, said, “Now it has become clear to me from the outpouring, may I say, of very passionate opinions that this selection has struck an emotional chord and created a need for a deeper, more substantive discussion.”

That discussion will air on “Oprah’s Book Club” in March on Apple TV+. It’s a conversation that will matter only if it’s a meaningful step toward systemic changes in the publishing industry instead of a self-serving revenue stream designed only to pacify communities of color tired of being ignored and unheard.

When Cummins was told that her novel “American Dirt” had been chosen for the book club, she said these were “the four words every writer dreams of hearing — ‘Jeanine, it’s Oprah Winfrey.’ ”

Here’s the four words many now want to hear from Winfrey: “I’m withdrawing my recommendation.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/01/...?event=event25
    'We may not change the world in one day but we still can change some things today, in our small way.'[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 563 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DifferentKindOfLady View Post
    Why they are accusing Kobe of being a rapist?! I don't know much about him because here in my country soccer is the main sport...
    I honestly haven't been following it either much yesterday I watched a video of The Amazing Lucas and he covered it. He said among other things that plenty of stuff was very, very off about the accuser. Apparently Kobe settled out of court and I guess this makes celebrities like Evan Rachel jump to the conclusion he did it, without doing research on that accuser at all.

The video i watched :

https://youtu.be/OcuaBDX5790

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Staffordshire Bullterrier For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 70
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Staffordshire Bullterrier View Post
    I see Kobe Bryant being treated similarly to how Mike was treated and still to this day on Twitter. The man has barely been gone for a day and already celebrities like Evan Rachel Wood saying "it's sad, but he also was a rapist." with full certainty, while this has never been proven and there's enough off about the accuser.

They just can't help it, can they.
    Honestly, though - Kobe apologized publicly for the incident. He didn't deny sexual assault in his apology - so I think that's a pretty solid confirmation, there.

I think comparing his situation to Mike's is a bit detrimental, considering Jackson always denied and never apologized. For good reason.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DangerUs'91 For This Useful Post:

Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,416 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Carmour260 View Post
    And not only that, a reporter from MSNBC is taking heat for saying the "N" word during the breaking news segment on Kobe
    #
    Are u serious?

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DangerUs'91 View Post
    Honestly, though - Kobe apologized publicly for the incident. He didn't deny sexual assault in his apology - so I think that's a pretty solid confirmation, there.

I think comparing his situation to Mike's is a bit detrimental, considering Jackson always denied and never apologized. For good reason.
    Michael didnt have to apologise cuz there was nothing to apologise for

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 8701girl For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DangerUs'91 View Post

I didn't know that. Is that 100% true that he apologized and never denied wrongdoing? Because from what I'm reading and hearing in videos is that the accuser started to brag to her girlfriends about the size of Kobe's you know what, and didn't want to testify in the first place and so on.

Kobe truly never denied wrongdoing? And yep, very true, Michael always maintained his innocence. Hating ass idiots always want to come with the settlement in the 90s as a strong argument but Michael never admitted to any wrongdoing there.

Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Kobe apologized and did say he thought it was consensual and she thought it wasn't and apologized to her for thinking it wasn't. She has never spoken to girlfriends and so forth and never spoke anything about "his size" or anything etc, and he did make a settlement. He made the settlement when she was to talk.

Michael's abhorrent treatment has never stopped and cannot be compared to anyone's. His disgusting abuse by others continues even in death. I am one of the old time fans and I am waiting for the day this ends but I think it never will.
    Last edited by captainhulk; 29-01-2020 at 03:44 PM.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by captainhulk View Post
    Kobe apologized and did say he thought it was consensual and she thought it wasn't and apologized to her for thinking it wasn't. She has never spoken to girlfriends and so forth and never spoke anything about "his size" or anything etc, and he did make a settlement. He made the settlement when she was to talk.

Michael's abhorrent treatment has never stopped and cannot be compared to anyone's. His disgusting abuse by others continues even in death. I am one of the old time fans and I am waiting for the day this ends but I think it never will.
    That's good to know. When we go to many lengths to get the truth about Michael, I think we should do that for others as well. It's good to know that Kobe said he thought it was consensual.

As for Michael, yeah...it seems pretty clear it's never gonna stop, which is incredibly sad and pathetic. Just now on Twitter this dude called LN a documentary and asked people if it's OK to listen to MJ music, it's 2020 and we're still getting this bullshit even though there are actual documentaries now.

And some woman said if these boys were his inspiration to write music, she doesn't want to listen to the music. Lmfao, sigh. Best believe I put those idiots on block right away.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Staffordshire Bullterrier For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 430
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsThree FriendsOverdrive

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,261 Times in 1,459 Posts

It will stop for MJ. I think people are getting tired of it now. It is only so much "crying wolf" until the town's people start to keep walking and do not care/do not believe it no more. As for Kobe, Kobe apologized for the ONE NIGHT affair with this accuser (sorry to say it but she was just a "booty call"- a.k.a a GROUPIE). These charges were dropped. To me, she was a booty call as many women ran after sport stars, musicians,etc in the arena, where the celebs are staying, etc to try to sleep with these men. I have seen some of these women when I use to go to games/concerts line up line roaches on a wall to get to these men. And when our officers were security over these events even in the hotels, these kind of women will do what it takes to get the player. Believe me, Kobe had women throwing themselves at him. Even he and his wife told the story how some women would step over her and push up on Kobe right in her face. He did not have to "force' no one, many women across the broad were willing to give it up to him (even free of charge). To me, Kobe and her had sex, gave her $20 on the stand (if not that), and now she got mad because Kobe got it and moved on so easy. The US was at her side to support her. She know she just slept with Kobe at her own free will.
    Last edited by terrell; 30-01-2020 at 01:02 AM.
    Mike's PYT

Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 158
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

I remember hearing something about her sending texts bragging that she "****ed Kobe". Was there no truth to that after all?

And his apology came off more as a "I don't think it was rape but I can see why you think it was" thing rather than a straight-up admission of guilt. It's also worth pointing out that the settlement was a for a civil suit that she filed after the criminal charges were dropped (because she didn't want to testify for the criminal trial). Interesting that this all happened in 2003-2004, too, when the shit against Michael was being kicked up again...
    "Let's not be alone again. Will you be my partner? I hear a dance starting up. Come."

Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 258
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,306 Times in 555 Posts

So she didnt mind testifying in a civil suit but not a criminal one?😕 his statement was odd.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

What was his statement?

Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,305 Times in 4,189 Posts

https://www.instagram.com/p/B78V0cnJKMI/

jrandytaraborrelli
    I finished my little part yesterday on a massive four hour mystery documentary about Michael Jackson. I can’t say what it is ... or where it will air... or when ... but I can tell you that it’s good, it’s a major network and ...later this year. Soon as I can announce, I will. Stay tuned. All the MJ big shots participated. Oh ... and me, too. #michaeljackson

Randy Taraborrelli, known by the fans for his biography books on Michael Jackson (and also some made up stories about the king of Pop), has just confirmed he participated in the filming of a new Michael Jackson documentary.

Taraborrelli confirmed the new documentary will be 4 hours long, involving major Michael Jackson protagonists and will be released later this year on a major network.

Fans have rushed to the facebook post to check if this new documentary was a more positive one and Taraborrelli responded:

You know I usually don’t participate. I’m trying to be a little more visible because I think if people like me continue to be quiet because of the inevitable social media backlash, it doesn’t serve MJ’s legacy. So, I’m carefully tiptoeing out there again to REMIND PEOPLE.

At this stage, it is unclear who is behind the documentary who are those “MJ Big Shots” are but we will keep you informed.

(Source:MJVibe)

Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,305 Times in 4,189 Posts

Last edited by Paris78; 30-01-2020 at 06:31 PM.