Page 1119 of 1141 FirstFirst ... 119619101910691109111711181119112011211129 ... LastLast
Results 16,771 to 16,785 of 17106

Thread: Controversial MJ Documentary "Leaving Neverland" [GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD]

   
  1. #16771
    Points: 8,897, Level: 63
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 153
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    2,891
    Points
    8,897
    Level
    63
    Thanks
    280
    Thanked 631 Times in 309 Posts

    Default Re: Controversial MJ Documentary "Leaving Neverland" [GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD]

    The Zoe Kravitz thing is beyond shameful.

    The Quincy remark is something quite common when it comes to Michael. No other great artist is treated quite as badly as Michael when it comes to this stuff.

    I watched a documentary on the Hysteria album by Def Leppard yesterday and one of the guitarists spoke about how heavily they were influenced by a guitar part on one of their songs by the Police song Message in a Bottle. He goes on to play both riffs to show the similarities and openly states he emulated it. The track in no way rips off the Police and is presented as complimentary and as one great artist influencing another.

    Whenever something like that crops up with MJ it's presented entirely different. That he's a fraud, that he stole other from other artists...that he's "Machiavellian" . People are looking for absolutely ANY reason to discredit and sully Michael's name.

    It's actually complimentary because the treatment he suffered, and continues to suffer, is entirely unique to Michael Jackson and it doesn't take a genius to figure out why.

    Michael's artistry is going to outlast all of this, I guarantee it. And when it does, in 100 and 200 years, these people are going to look incredibly foolish.

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChrisC For This Useful Post:


  3. #16772
    Points: 18,130, Level: 85
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsThree FriendsOverdrive

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    9,307
    Points
    18,130
    Level
    85
    Thanks
    1,211
    Thanked 3,301 Times in 1,485 Posts

    Default Re: Controversial MJ Documentary "Leaving Neverland" [GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    The Zoe Kravitz thing is beyond shameful.

    The Quincy remark is something quite common when it comes to Michael. No other great artist is treated quite as badly as Michael when it comes to this stuff.

    I watched a documentary on the Hysteria album by Def Leppard yesterday and one of the guitarists spoke about how heavily they were influenced by a guitar part on one of their songs by the Police song Message in a Bottle. He goes on to play both riffs to show the similarities and openly states he emulated it. The track in no way rips off the Police and is presented as complimentary and as one great artist influencing another.

    Whenever something like that crops up with MJ it's presented entirely different. That he's a fraud, that he stole other from other artists...that he's "Machiavellian" . People are looking for absolutely ANY reason to discredit and sully Michael's name.

    It's actually complimentary because the treatment he suffered, and continues to suffer, is entirely unique to Michael Jackson and it doesn't take a genius to figure out why.

    Michael's artistry is going to outlast all of this, I guarantee it. And when it does, in 100 and 200 years, these people are going to look incredibly foolish.
    They look foolish now.
    Mike's PYT

  4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to terrell For This Useful Post:


  5. #16773
    Points: 14,770, Level: 78
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsOverdrive

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    26,450
    Points
    14,770
    Level
    78
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1,357 Times in 581 Posts

    Default Re: Controversial MJ Documentary "Leaving Neverland" [GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD]

    Its belittling mj as an artist aswell as a human being. Racism cant be as obvious as it used to be. Its more underhanded. downplay his talent by lieing about who wrote and created music. Belittle him as human being. Turning someone into a subhuman makes them easier to lynch.

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to elusive moonwalker For This Useful Post:


  7. #16774
    Points: 34,681, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience PointsOverdrive

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Netherlands (Groningen)
    Posts
    5,380
    Points
    34,681
    Level
    100
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1,193 Times in 574 Posts

    Default Re: Controversial MJ Documentary "Leaving Neverland" [GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD]

    Quote Originally Posted by myosotis View Post
    Other TV companies are pulling out of KM contracts, which I'd think means that there is not much chance of them recovering from here, even if the court doesn't impose a 'winding up' order:

    Endemol Shine Group Cancels Kew Media Contracts, As Channel 5 Co-Production Deal Breaks Down

    EXCLUSIVE: Endemol Shine Group and ViacomCBS network Channel 5 have become the latest companies to sever ties with Kew Media Distribution (KMD) as the embattled TV sales house edges closer to collapse.

    KMD was responsible for selling Agatha And The Curse Of Ishtar and Agatha And The Death of X (working title), a pair of Agatha Christie-inspired dramas Channel 5 commissioned from Endemol Shine producer DSP. But Endemol Shine terminated the distribution deals last month and is in the process of handing the contracts over to Endemol Shine International.

    The Agatha dramas formed part of a three-year co-production deal KMD inked with Channel 5 in September 2018, under which the distributor fronted a chunk of the production fee on selected scripted projects in exchange for taking international rights. Channel 5 does not expect to draw on the financing arrangement again, meaning the deal is effectively dead.

    Deadline understands that around six dramas were funded under the co-production agreement, and a number of the producers involved are seeking to extricate themselves from the KMD distribution contracts, much like Endemol Shine. This includes Chalkboard TV, which made the critically acclaimed Cold Call, and Clink producer LA Productions.

    Sources have said that the producers involved are not out of pocket. The Channel 5 co-production deal was structured so that KMD recouped its costs first, and then took a fee on international sales after breaking even. It is understood that none of the Channel 5 projects reached the stage where they were cash positive. Furthermore, any agreed sales should be passed over by KMD to a new distributor.

    As Deadline revealed earlier this month, KMD is on the precipice of closure as it stares down the barrel of a winding-up order. A court will decide next month if the company is liquidated and its assets sold off. It follows KMD’s parent company, Kew Media Group, being delisted from the Toronto Stock Exchange last month after defaulting on its credit facility because it filed “inaccurate” financial information.

    Like Endemol Shine, other companies are seeking to untangle themselves from KMD. This includes Amos Pictures, which used KMD to sell HBO/Channel 4 film Leaving Neverland internationally.

    https://deadline.com/2020/02/endemol...al-1202863059/
    What goes around, comes around. I love this.

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Staffordshire Bullterrier For This Useful Post:


  9. #16775
    Points: 3,358, Level: 36
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 142
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points3 months registered

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,010
    Points
    3,358
    Level
    36
    Thanks
    926
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 623 Posts

    Default Re: Controversial MJ Documentary "Leaving Neverland" [GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD]

    Quote Originally Posted by elusive moonwalker View Post
    Its belittling mj as an artist aswell as a human being. Racism cant be as obvious as it used to be. Its more underhanded. downplay his talent by lieing about who wrote and created music. Belittle him as human being. Turning someone into a subhuman makes them easier to lynch.
    This is exactly what’s going on. And as a new fan, who hasn’t paid much attention to MJ at all before 2019, I can say it’s painfully obvious once you begin to see it.
    Twitter: @ScreenOrigami
    Pokémon Go: 5702 7276 8494

  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ScreenOrigami For This Useful Post:


  11. #16776
    Points: 34,374, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryThree FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points
    PoP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    6,080
    Points
    34,374
    Level
    100
    Blog Entries
    24
    Thanks
    702
    Thanked 1,550 Times in 966 Posts

    Default Re: Controversial MJ Documentary "Leaving Neverland" [GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD]

    Quote Originally Posted by myosotis View Post
    Other TV companies are pulling out of KM contracts, which I'd think means that there is not much chance of them recovering from here, even if the court doesn't impose a 'winding up' order:

    Endemol Shine Group Cancels Kew Media Contracts, As Channel 5 Co-Production Deal Breaks Down

    EXCLUSIVE: Endemol Shine Group and ViacomCBS network Channel 5 have become the latest companies to sever ties with Kew Media Distribution (KMD) as the embattled TV sales house edges closer to collapse.

    KMD was responsible for selling Agatha And The Curse Of Ishtar and Agatha And The Death of X (working title), a pair of Agatha Christie-inspired dramas Channel 5 commissioned from Endemol Shine producer DSP. But Endemol Shine terminated the distribution deals last month and is in the process of handing the contracts over to Endemol Shine International.

    The Agatha dramas formed part of a three-year co-production deal KMD inked with Channel 5 in September 2018, under which the distributor fronted a chunk of the production fee on selected scripted projects in exchange for taking international rights. Channel 5 does not expect to draw on the financing arrangement again, meaning the deal is effectively dead.

    Deadline understands that around six dramas were funded under the co-production agreement, and a number of the producers involved are seeking to extricate themselves from the KMD distribution contracts, much like Endemol Shine. This includes Chalkboard TV, which made the critically acclaimed Cold Call, and Clink producer LA Productions.

    Sources have said that the producers involved are not out of pocket. The Channel 5 co-production deal was structured so that KMD recouped its costs first, and then took a fee on international sales after breaking even. It is understood that none of the Channel 5 projects reached the stage where they were cash positive. Furthermore, any agreed sales should be passed over by KMD to a new distributor.

    As Deadline revealed earlier this month, KMD is on the precipice of closure as it stares down the barrel of a winding-up order. A court will decide next month if the company is liquidated and its assets sold off. It follows KMD’s parent company, Kew Media Group, being delisted from the Toronto Stock Exchange last month after defaulting on its credit facility because it filed “inaccurate” financial information.

    Like Endemol Shine, other companies are seeking to untangle themselves from KMD. This includes Amos Pictures, which used KMD to sell HBO/Channel 4 film Leaving Neverland internationally.

    https://deadline.com/2020/02/endemol...al-1202863059/
    The sweet smell of another victory.
    SUPPORTER/FAN of MICHAEL JACKSON & NARUHINA

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PoP For This Useful Post:


  13. #16777
    Points: 14,770, Level: 78
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsOverdrive

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    26,450
    Points
    14,770
    Level
    78
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1,357 Times in 581 Posts

    Default Re: Controversial MJ Documentary "Leaving Neverland" [GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD]

    Quote Originally Posted by ScreenOrigami View Post
    This is exactly what’s going on. And as a new fan, who hasn’t paid much attention to MJ at all before 2019, I can say it’s painfully obvious once you begin to see it.
    Yeah its been going on for decades. They arent his kids cause he hates his race and who would want to sleep with that frea*

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to elusive moonwalker For This Useful Post:


  15. #16778
    Points: 8,897, Level: 63
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 153
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    2,891
    Points
    8,897
    Level
    63
    Thanks
    280
    Thanked 631 Times in 309 Posts

    Default Re: Controversial MJ Documentary "Leaving Neverland" [GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD]

    Quote Originally Posted by terrell View Post
    They look foolish now.
    Only to us, by and large. That's why they feel quite safe in doing it.

  16. #16779
    Points: 3,358, Level: 36
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 142
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points3 months registered

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,010
    Points
    3,358
    Level
    36
    Thanks
    926
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 623 Posts

    Default Re: Controversial MJ Documentary "Leaving Neverland" [GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD]

    Quote Originally Posted by elusive moonwalker View Post
    Yeah its been going on for decades. They arent his kids cause he hates his race and who would want to sleep with that frea*
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    Only to us, by and large. That's why they feel quite safe in doing it.
    Since I’ve always avoided tabloids like the plague that they are, I was blissfully unaware of all of this. I bet there are more people like that out there who don’t pay attention to any of that crap, and/or don’t feel involved enough to talk about it. It used to be entirely possible to be a casual admirer of MJ’s art without ever thinking for 5 minutes about all the hoopla that surrounded his personal life, particularly because justice was always on his side.
    Twitter: @ScreenOrigami
    Pokémon Go: 5702 7276 8494

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to ScreenOrigami For This Useful Post:


  18. #16780
    Points: 18,130, Level: 85
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsThree FriendsOverdrive

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    9,307
    Points
    18,130
    Level
    85
    Thanks
    1,211
    Thanked 3,301 Times in 1,485 Posts

    Default Re: Controversial MJ Documentary "Leaving Neverland" [GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD]

    Quote Originally Posted by ScreenOrigami View Post
    This is exactly what’s going on. And as a new fan, who hasn’t paid much attention to MJ at all before 2019, I can say it’s painfully obvious once you begin to see it.
    Exactly
    Mike's PYT

  19. #16781
    Points: 34,681, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience PointsOverdrive

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Netherlands (Groningen)
    Posts
    5,380
    Points
    34,681
    Level
    100
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1,193 Times in 574 Posts

    Default Re: Controversial MJ Documentary "Leaving Neverland" [GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD]

    Did I miss something or has BBC's Simon Warr been really supportive of Michael? On Twitter I saw that he's not doing too well health wise and he gets a lot of support from MJ fans. He's from Channel 4 as well. Didn't BBC and Channel 4 shit on MJ though? Or is it like Geraldo, shit channel but the person is supportive?

  20. #16782
    Points: 55,297, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsCreated Blog entryTagger Second ClassVeteranOverdrive

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    His last Photo Shoot.
    Posts
    7,183
    Points
    55,297
    Level
    100
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks
    12,802
    Thanked 2,181 Times in 1,060 Posts

    Default Re: Controversial MJ Documentary "Leaving Neverland" [GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD]

    Quote Originally Posted by Staffordshire Bullterrier View Post
    What goes around, comes around. I love this.


    OH SHIT! HA!

    I am a child of the Moon , Being raised by the Sun, In an earth filled with Pain , With a sky full of Hope.

    RIP Dearest M. Thank You For My Childhood Memories. ILY.

  21. #16783
    Points: 55,297, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsCreated Blog entryTagger Second ClassVeteranOverdrive

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    His last Photo Shoot.
    Posts
    7,183
    Points
    55,297
    Level
    100
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks
    12,802
    Thanked 2,181 Times in 1,060 Posts

    Default Re: Controversial MJ Documentary "Leaving Neverland" [GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD]

    Looks like.. their ship is sinking faster than Eastenders then

    I am a child of the Moon , Being raised by the Sun, In an earth filled with Pain , With a sky full of Hope.

    RIP Dearest M. Thank You For My Childhood Memories. ILY.

  22. #16784
    Points: 2,628, Level: 31
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    524
    Points
    2,628
    Level
    31
    Thanks
    1,918
    Thanked 545 Times in 273 Posts

    Default Re: Controversial MJ Documentary "Leaving Neverland" [GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD]


    LOL at this pompous slogan. The good old "know-it-all underground music store seller opinionist" trope. Who of course know better then you, have better taste than you, and are very original! Too bad this "originality" is just the listing of the obligatory works of the decades-old pop/rock canon they never dare to challenge.

    And of course one of the characters wears a Lou Reed shirt at some point - nothing against Reed, it's just that these kind of cliché characters always have to wear these kind of shirts. You know, because they are so knowledgeable at music and so original!

    I guess this show is cringeworthy even without that MJ scene...
    I look to greet the stars
    But there's no stars to see

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to ozemouze For This Useful Post:


  24. #16785
    Points: 2,628, Level: 31
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    524
    Points
    2,628
    Level
    31
    Thanks
    1,918
    Thanked 545 Times in 273 Posts

    Default Re: Controversial MJ Documentary "Leaving Neverland" [GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    The Quincy remark is something quite common when it comes to Michael. No other great artist is treated quite as badly as Michael when it comes to this stuff.
    Very true. It was a further way to discredit MJ when after the success of Thriller he couldn't be ignored anymore (never mind he wrote 3 of the best/most successful songs on the album...). Unfortunately for the advertisers of this narrative came the release of some of the home demos and documentaries looking into MJ's creative process...

    And it's not to take away from Quincy Jones, his influence to the music world is enormous (including jazz and soundtracks), but his importance regarding MJ's work is artificially magnified with an agenda.
    I look to greet the stars
    But there's no stars to see

  25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ozemouze For This Useful Post:


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •