Page 916 of 916 FirstFirst ... 416816866906914915916
Results 13,726 to 13,732 of 13732

Thread: Controversial MJ Documentary "Leaving Neverland" [GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD]

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 942
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,408 Posts

Default Re: Controversial MJ Documentary "Leaving Neverland" [GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD]

Timed for the 25th June... they really are despicable people of the absolute lowest kind. (But we already knew that). They are 'creative' in the worst possible way- embracing lies and more lies.

Kew Media Distribution: Beyond ‘Neverland’

Tim Dams explores the rise of documentary powerhouse Kew Media Distribution

Halfway through 2019, there’s little doubt about the most impactful documentary of the year – Dan Reed’s explosive and revelatory Michael Jackson film, Leaving Neverland.

The documentary, which prompted a rethink about the legacy of the late pop icon as well as furious backlash from his ardent fans, was sold around the world by Kew Media Distribution (KMD).

The global success of the film has helped to shine a spotlight on the distributor, which has developed a strong reputation for premium documentary fare, representing high-profile directors such as Nick Broomfield and Alex Gibney.

“We’re not afraid to take risks and be challenged with the kinds of shows we look at – ones that are a little bit different, out of the box or controversial,” says KMD president of distribution Greg Phillips.

KMD took on Leaving Neverland after the company was recommended to Reed by a producer it had worked with before, says EVP of sales and distribution Jonathan Ford.

“A couple of other companies had shied away from it because they were concerned about the risks.

But when we watched it, we saw there was a story there we had to get out into the market.”

Ford explains that Kew pitched the director a model where he would be fully involved in working out the best sales strategy for Leaving Neverland: to go for a big multi-territory deal with a single global player or to sell it territory-by-territory. They went for the latter and it proved a successful choice.

“We have basically sold out in every country in the world,” says Ford.

He notes that many creatives like the idea of working with an independent sales company like KMD rather than a big studio with its own global network that might not realise the full value of a film.

KMD’s pitch to producers is that it is collaborative, excited by programming and concerned about marketing, adds Phillips.

Creatives need to know their property, which they have agonised over for so long, is going to be looked after. We will offer any help, advice or market intelligence that the supplier wants – then it is up to the creative to decide whether to accept it.”

Based in London with sales offices in New York, Los Angeles and Miami, KMD has 38 staff including local reps in Spain and Germany. Marketing and sales administration is run out of the London office. Meanwhile, acquisitions are split between Los Angeles and London.

KMD itself is part of the Kew Media Group – an emerging superindie that was founded in 2015 by former Alliance Atlantis (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation) entertainment boss Peter Sussman and Blue Ice Group co-founder and former Entertainment One exec Steven Silver.

Kew Media Group launched on the Toronto stock exchange as a special purpose acquisition company (SPAC) in 2016, and has been on the acquisition trail ever since.

In 2017, it snapped up transatlantic production and distribution firm Content Media Corp and five Content-controlled companies: Finland-based Aito Media, Alex Gibney’s doc-focused Jigsaw Productions, Campfire Film & Television, LA’s Collins Avenue Productions and Spirit Digital Media.

At the same time, Kew Media Group also bought Toronto-based producers Architect Films, Bristow Global Media, Media Headquarters Film & Television, Our House Media and Winnipeg’s Frantic Films.

“We are content guys. It’s what we love. It’s what we do,” said Silver and Sussman at the time. “There has never been a better time to be in the content business.

Content, best known as the distributor of BBC police drama Line Of Duty and which itself had taken over distributor Fireworks International’s library in 2005, rebranded as Kew Media Distribution later in the year.

Since then, Kew Media Group has gone on to acquire other companies – notably Australia’s Essential Media Group, Toronto scripted producer Sienna Films and UK distributor TCB Media Rights. It has also taken a stake in new Scottish indie Two Rivers, run by former STV Productions boss Alan Clements.

Kew Media Group bills itself as ‘an acquirer of choice’ for indies, flagging to potential sellers an experienced management team, minimal bureaucracy, generous equity participation and independence – and the opportunity to get in on the ground of an emerging ‘superindie’ group.

The group now comprises 13 production companies, two distribution firms and a content library of more than 14,000 hours. It posted revenues of CAD$224m ($165m) in 2018, and an adjusted EBITDA of CAD$26.9m ($20m). Some CAD$136.9m ($101m) of revenues came from its production activities, and CAD$87.2m ($64m) from distribution.

....A few more paragraphs on the business model have been left out of this extract.

https://tbivision.com/2019/06/25/kew...ond-neverland/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There was also a Tweet today which said that HBO had sent 'LN' for consideration of an award to the 'International Documentary Association'.

https://www.documentary.org/awards2019

May 6: Call for Entries open
    June 10: Early deadline
    June 28: Regular deadline
    July 8: Extended deadline
    Mid-October: Shortlist announced
    Late October: Nominees and honorees announced
    November: IDA members vote for Best Feature and Best Short

December 7: IDA Documentary Awards ceremony
    (Dates subject to change)
    Last edited by myosotis; Yesterday at 09:48 PM.
    'We may not change the world in one day but we still can change some things today, in our small way.'[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entry1000 Experience PointsTagger First Class31 days registered
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Re: Controversial MJ Documentary "Leaving Neverland" [GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD]

Quote Originally Posted by Soundmind View Post
    WOW at the messages of love on twitter. Our sweet man was loved universally. I am truly speechless. How could one man be loved that much? How can one man inspire people that much? Gifted by God
    Yes we was. he was such gift. i miss him so.

a female with depression and mental delays

Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 213
    Overall activity: 72.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsThree FriendsOverdrive

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,766 Times in 1,197 Posts

Alot of love for Michael today overwhleming. see, GOD is for the RIGHTOUS and MJ was RIGHTOUS. That was proven even more today.
    Mike's PYT

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to terrell For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 213
    Overall activity: 72.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsThree FriendsOverdrive

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,766 Times in 1,197 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Soundmind View Post
    WOW at the messages of love on twitter. Our sweet man was loved universally. I am truly speechless. How could one man be loved that much? How can one man inspire people that much? Gifted by God
    Tributes are still going on here in my city and surrounding cities.
    Mike's PYT

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to terrell For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entry1000 Experience PointsTagger First Class31 days registered
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Today was so beautiful i cried so much and i'm still kind of crying. Michael was such a gift. i don't really don't know what else to call him. he was too much. Michael has got to been from god. there's nothing else i can say. we all miss our angel. too bad he can't come back. but hopefully one day we will all see him

a female with depression and mental delays

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NatureCriminal7896 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience Points31 days registered

Level
    Thanks

MJ was trending on Twitter for nearly 12 hours in the UK. So many nice tributes it's hard to keep up with them all. I broke my record for number of tweets in a day! Thanks to those (especially Anna) who helped me sort a few things out in my head when I first joined the forum. I'm more of a fan now than I was before.
    Last edited by WannaScream; Yesterday at 11:48 PM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WannaScream For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,731 Times in 2,220 Posts

A small dedication to Michael on this day:
    https://twitter.com/rasheedKOPV/status/1143530735082459136
    **He lives forever within us**