Wishes for the 50th birthday of "I want you back" and "Diana Ross presents the Jackson5"

Wishes for the 50th birthday of "I want you back" and "Diana Ross presents the Jackson 5"

In the strong hope that the Jackson Family maybe will read this forum in these hard days.
Please don't forget this historic birthday where everthing begun and give us a big DVD Boxset with the following remastered content in HD or better Quality:
- ALL full TV appearences of The Jacksons/Jackson 5 and MJs solo apearances of the 70ies and early 80ies
- The full Jackson 5 catoon series
- All full episodes of the Jacksons Variety show
- 2 til 5 full concerts of the Jackson 5 and The Jacksons (It whould be great when it whould be included some which are not already fully on youtube. I whould love to see the Gary indiana concert from 1971 fully for example.)
- studio footage when it exists from the recording sessions of the album or the next two and behind the sceans footage

Do you have any wishes for this historic birthday?

Last edited:
Re: Wishes for the 50th birthday of "I want you back" and "Diana Ross presents the Jackson 5"

ALL full TV appearences of The Jacksons/Jackson 5 and MJs solo apearances of the 70ies and early 80ies
I've never known Motown to release that many home videos of anything, especially stuff from the 1960s & 1970s. So this is unlikely. Also, the specials are probably owned by the TV networks that originally broadcast them, not Motown. It's the same for appearances on any other shows. The Goin' Back To Indiana special has Bill Cosby in it, so I'm not sure if they want to do anything with that at the moment with his current situation and the Me Too movement.
The full Jackson 5 cartoon series
This was released on DVD & Blu-ray a few years ago, but I don't know if it's still in print
All full episodes of the Jacksons Variety show
The variety show has nothing to do with Motown. It was made after they left the label. This likely has the same problems as the earlier TV shows. In this case, there are potential issues with getting approval for the guest stars and paying publishing fees for the songs that are performed, which might be expensive.

Re: Wishes for the 50th birthday of "I want you back" and "Diana Ross presents the Jackson5"

@ DuranDuran
I think many right owners maybe will lost their publishing rights over the years for the tv matirial.. Many shows didn't even exist anymore. So it can be easy and not so expensive get the rights for the Jacksons related matirial to release it on dvd.
I think that many show owners were the brothers appeared more often like Soul Train, Carol Benett, Sunny & Cher whould behave very cooperativ.

With the varitety shows. I think cbs/sony will already have all rights for the show.
They maybe paid everthing what is nessesary in the 70ies to air the show on tv.

I agree that motown and sony will not work on the same boxset together. It maybe have to be two different ones.

Last edited:
variety

@ DuranDuran
I think many right owners maybe will lost their publishing rights over the years for the tv matirial.. Many shows didn't even exist anymore. So it can be easy and not so expensive get the rights for the Jacksons related matirial to release it on dvd.
I think that many show owners were the brothers appeared more often like Soul Train, Carol Benett, Sunny & Cher whould behave very cooperativ.

With the varitety shows. I think cbs/sony will already have all rights for the show.
They maybe paid everthing what is nessesary in the 70ies to air the show on tv.

I agree that motown and sony will not work on the same boxset together. It maybe have to be two different ones.
Networks won't lose the rights if they renew the copyrights so their shows don't fall into public domain. That's how CBS show colorized episodes of I Love Lucy & Dick Van Dyke Show every Christmas for the last few years. In a few cases the star of a TV show owns it, but that's rare. The original networks have also sold programs to other companies or leases them out to a 2nd party who puts them out on home video. Anyway, with public domain stuff, it can be put out in any quality. They generally don't restore it or anything. It doesn't have to be good because PD material is usually sold for a cheap price.

Rights are not just for the show itself, but the music and getting clearance for the guest stars. That's why variety or music shows like Soul Train never release complete episodes on home video. Just clips of certain songs, usually the bigger hits or better known artists. When Married With Children was released on DVD, the label or publishing company who owns Frank Sinatra's song Love And Marriage wanted too much money, so the theme song was replaced with generic music. The reruns on TV still use the original theme though. Same for songs on TV shows. There was a Prince song on an episode of Diff'rent Strokes, I think it was removed on the DVD version. It took years for Saturday Night Live to get clearances for all the music acts that have appeared on the show before they released the seasons on home video.

Re: Wishes for the 50th birthday of "I want you back" and "Diana Ross presents the Jackson5"

the fact that Motown released so much material when the jacksons were on their label (they had an album out every year! sometimes multiple.. not forgetting the solo ones) and still had tons left undiscovered in the vaults, shows you how hard they were worked as children - especially Michael.

some of the unreleased original songs were better than the official output in my opinion. 'coming home' and 'cupid' could have been hits.

I also love the variety shows! :) it was just light-hearted fun! also a great training ground for Michael as a performer. he did things there that he didn't do before or since. he really showed his growth and versatility as a dancer. i'm convinced he could do flips during this time too!

the cartoon series is one of my favourites ever. even without the Jackson connection. it's so hard to find non violent cartoons that are still exciting and creative. I've always been drawn to bright colours too :) I love how each brother was given their own purpose, and how self sufficient they were. being broadcast in many countries around the world helped them become an international act.

I wished they released some official vhs tapes back in the day of this stuff. I would love to collect them! :)

Back