Thread: The "Munich 1999" Accident!

Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 97
    Overall activity: 89.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registeredOverdrive

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: The "Munich 1999" Accident!

Oh yes, he looked great at the beginning of the trial. It was sort of a ritual back then for fans to ask at pacific morning time "is he there?! what's he's wearing?" on the forums (especially after the PJ incident, as the judge then threatened him with jail if he didn't arrive on time). The media even asked some fashion guru to review the clothes, they expected criticism of course, but the fashion expert was very enthusiastic about MJ's style and only had positive things to say. The dresses were very smart indeed, often referenced multinational holidays as well. Even haters admitted MJ "radiated". Unfortunately the trial consumed him in the end, inevitably.

Thanks for the clip. Apart from the inaccuracy and contradiction, what's the point of this kind of reporting at all?...
    I look to greet the stars
    But there's no stars to see

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ozemouze For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 196
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registeredOverdrive5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,271 Times in 1,170 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ozemouze View Post
    Oh yes, he looked great at the beginning of the trial. It was sort of a ritual back then for fans to ask at pacific morning time "is he there?! what's he's wearing?" on the forums (especially after the PJ incident, as the judge then threatened him with jail if he didn't arrive on time). The media even asked some fashion guru to review the clothes, they expected criticism of course, but the fashion expert was very enthusiastic about MJ's style and only had positive things to say. The dresses were very smart indeed, often referenced multinational holidays as well. Even haters admitted MJ "radiated". Unfortunately the trial consumed him in the end, inevitably.
    The offtopic crew is at it again.

I’d love to learn more about this, especially the bit with the holiday references. Do we have a thread somewhere on this topic? I searched, but didn’t really find anything.

I must say, browsing the photos on Getty, he looked absolutely terrific in many pictures. Considering that many photographers were probably out to get the most terrible shots to sell to the tabloids, that’s quite an achievement. And then to think he had all that stuff on his mind for over a year before the trial actually began – I think I would have crumbled under the mental pressure long before Day 1.

Twitter: @ScreenOrigami
    Pokémon Go: 5702 7276 8494

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ScreenOrigami For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ScreenOrigami View Post
    The offtopic crew is at it again.

I’s love to learn more about this, especially the bit with the holiday references. Do we have a thread somewhere on this topic? I searched, but didn’t really find anything.

I must say, browsing the photos on Getty, he looked absolutely terrific in many pictures. Considering that many photographers were probably out to get the most terrible shots to sell to the tabloids, that’s quite an achievement. And then to think he had all that stuff on his mind for over a year before the trial actually began – I think I would have crumbled under the mental pressure long before Day 1.

Unfortunately I didn't find more information either , these things were commented back then when the photos arrived, but it looks like they weren't collected. St. Patrick's Day's dress might be quite obvious, but I think the colors of the vest in your previous photo references Central/South American culture.

Yeah, the mental pressure thing... I always get furious when MJ is labeled "weak", he must have been one of the strongest person...

@ at the offtopic crew. Sorry!!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ozemouze For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 196
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registeredOverdrive5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,271 Times in 1,170 Posts

Unfortunately I didn't find more information either , these things were commented back then when the photos arrived, but it looks like they weren't collected. St. Patrick's Day's dress might be quite obvious, but I think the colors of the vest in your previous photo references Central/South American culture.
    Thanks for the hints. I’ll keep looking, maybe there’s an old blog or something.

Yeah, the mental pressure thing... I always get furious when MJ is labeled "weak", he must have been one of the strongest person...
    … which is obvious when he continues to perform after the accident in Munich.

Thanks for this opportunity to segue smoothly back into our topic.
    Twitter: @ScreenOrigami
    Pokémon Go: 5702 7276 8494

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ScreenOrigami For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered

Level
    Thanks

wow forgot about this for the longest time... Michael really didn't have the best of luck on stage. He had the pepsi incident also. Poor guy really took a battering entertaining us

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Krishendo For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 709
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mj_frenzy View Post
    Such accidents can happen in a show - that is why a show is always insured by insurance companies.

Adrian Grant also brought up that technical problem (as the cause of that accident) in his ‘Michael Jackson: A Visual Documentary’ book where he chronicles important events concerning Michael Jackson’s life and career:

June 27, 1999: Due to a technical problem part of the set, the central section of ‘The Bridge Of No Return’ collapses, leaving Michael to climb back on to the stage…” (Adrian Grant)

Few hours after that accident, Dr. Steven Hoefflin arrived at the hotel and began to administer Propofol but also Demerol to Michael Jackson so as to ease his pains on his back.

Debbie Rowe was also there and she witnessed the whole process in the hotel room which in no time was transformed into an emergency centre.

The team of the concert producers (of that show) was responsible for that accident.

Michael Jackson received payment from the insurance company that paid him the agreed amount of money (according to the insurance policy that financially covered the show’s risks in case of a serious accident).
    Some facts....Michael was taken to the hospital (the Isar Clinic if I remember correctly, some hospital starting with an I for sure) after the show. He either spent the night at the hospital or came back very late but wasn’t back by 1am, that was when I left his hotel. Grace came doen in what looked like pajamas or scrubs and talked to fans and said Michael was at the hospital.

Steve Hoefflin wasn’t there. He was Michael’s plastic surgeon in the 80’s. He wasn’t in Munich in 1999. What for? Debbie also wasn’t in Munich. There was someone at the window who we all first thought was Debbie but once you saw the close up from a fan video you can see it clearly isn’t Debbie. Let’s not spread bs here and stick to the facts!

I saw the bridge fall during the show but I totally thought it was part of the show and was actually cheering and thought it looked cool while totally unsware that it was actually an accident!!! I did wonder a bit when I saw Michael crawl back on stage but I just sheugged it of. I didn’t realize it was an accident and Michael had hurt himself until I came back to the hotel and was told Michael is in the hospital. We were also told that Michael is okay but will stay at the hospital so we should go to sleep and come back the next day. Michael came to the window around noon, if I remember correctly or between noon and 2pm and was in his pajamas and had a bandage on his hand (from an i.v.?) But he seemed okay and in good spirits.

A fall like that is equal to if you fall down in an elevator without breaks. It can REALLY injure your spine! So I can imagine his back causing oroblems already and if you already suffer feom chronic pain or have a past with chronic pain, it can easily trigger your pain memory and make the current pain worse. Not to mention if you add psychological pain from extreme stress on top of that...that too can make the pain feel worse.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to summer For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 60
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points3 months registered

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by summer View Post
    Some facts....Michael was taken to the hospital (the Isar Clinic if I remember correctly, some hospital starting with an I for sure) after the show. He either spent the night at the hospital or came back very late but wasn’t back by 1am, that was when I left his hotel. Grace came doen in what looked like pajamas or scrubs and talked to fans and said Michael was at the hospital.

Steve Hoefflin wasn’t there. He was Michael’s plastic surgeon in the 80’s. He wasn’t in Munich in 1999. What for? Debbie also wasn’t in Munich. There was someone at the window who we all first thought was Debbie but once you saw the close up from a fan video you can see it clearly isn’t Debbie. Let’s not spread bs here and stick to the facts!

I saw the bridge fall during the show but I totally thought it was part of the show and was actually cheering and thought it looked cool while totally unsware that it was actually an accident!!! I did wonder a bit when I saw Michael crawl back on stage but I just sheugged it of. I didn’t realize it was an accident and Michael had hurt himself until I came back to the hotel and was told Michael is in the hospital. We were also told that Michael is okay but will stay at the hospital so we should go to sleep and come back the next day. Michael came to the window around noon, if I remember correctly or between noon and 2pm and was in his pajamas and had a bandage on his hand (from an i.v.?) But he seemed okay and in good spirits.

A fall like that is equal to if you fall down in an elevator without breaks. It can REALLY injure your spine! So I can imagine his back causing oroblems already and if you already suffer feom chronic pain or have a past with chronic pain, it can easily trigger your pain memory and make the current pain worse. Not to mention if you add psychological pain from extreme stress on top of that...that too can make the pain feel worse.
    Wow, your memory is identical to how I experienced it at the time x

Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 120
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by summer View Post
    A fall like that is equal to if you fall down in an elevator without breaks.
    Yes! That comparison fits. Michael could have died.

Thank you for the ´some facts´ - that´s a bit more than the special and so clean version by the wellknown I-know-it-all-mj_frenzy. For me it is still so astounding to read that a lot of people obviously didn´t realize what happened on stage.
    ...Well, after loving me, she said she couldn´t love another...
    Michael Jackson, The Girl Is Mine

Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

I was completely unfamiliar with this accident until reading about it in this thread just now. It makes sense though, that such a stress could lead to MJ's use and later addiction to propofol. I've read Frank Cascio's book, but its been a few years since then, so I don't recall any references to this accident from his point of view.
    God, guns, and guts made America; let's keep all three.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moviefan2k4 View Post
    I was completely unfamiliar with this accident until reading about it in this thread just now. It makes sense though, that such a stress could lead to MJ's use and later addiction to propofol. I've read Frank Cascio's book, but its been a few years since then, so I don't recall any references to this accident from his point of view.
    Propofol isn't a painkiller, it's an anesthetic used for sedation (for e.g. surgeries), MJ used it to help make him sleep.