Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MJ as the 3rd best selling artist of all time?

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks

Default MJ as the 3rd best selling artist of all time?

I still see that they are saying he's sold 350 million records. While Elvis/Beatles are around 500 - 600 million. I don't get that, he was a bigger act on a global scale, meanwhile that 350 million number I've read since the mid 00s. If I recall, in 2007 they said Michael's solo sales were 750 million... We all know he sold a shit load after he died... so how come he's still listed as only sold 350 million?

Beatles might have been big, but people in the middle of nowhere with no electricity living under rocks... knew Michael Jackson.

"Constipation comes and goes, poo will last forever!!!"
    quote The Original "Constipation Killing" Chaos, Conqueror of the Laxative Industry and enemy of all forms of Constipation! :mad:

"For every poo there is a fly"
    quote L.J

"Ohhh DARN IT ALL! You're right, I can't deny your ultimate greatness. I'm just finished. All worship at the alter of Chaos"
    quote wannabestartinsomthin21

Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 193
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: MJ as the 3rd best selling artist of all time?

As far as I know, Elvis and the Beatles sold more than Michael (with over 1 billion for Elvis). But these are older estimates from the time when Michael was still alive, so the order may have changed since then. Keep in mind that Elvis and the Beatles were also global superstars, and they were there long before MJ, so they had plenty more time to sell their music.

Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Black Orchid View Post
    As far as I know, Elvis and the Beatles sold more than Michael (with over 1 billion for Elvis). But these are older estimates from the time when Michael was still alive, so the order may have changed since then. Keep in mind that Elvis and the Beatles were also global superstars, and they were there long before MJ, so they had plenty more time to sell their music.
    But what were there individual album sales like? MJ had Thriller, which people today say sold 66 million even though back in 2007 they were saying it had sold 110 million... I'm pretty sure the posthumous sales must have pushed it further by another 10 million.

Elvis and Beatles were global, but neither would be as widely recognised as MJ in South Asia for example.

"Constipation comes and goes, poo will last forever!!!"
    quote The Original "Constipation Killing" Chaos, Conqueror of the Laxative Industry and enemy of all forms of Constipation! :mad:

"For every poo there is a fly"
    quote L.J

"Ohhh DARN IT ALL! You're right, I can't deny your ultimate greatness. I'm just finished. All worship at the alter of Chaos"
    quote wannabestartinsomthin21

Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 193
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    But what were there individual album sales like?
    I don't know any exact numbers, but Michael's music catalogue is much smaller in comparison to both of them (e.g., the Beatles released 13 successful albums between 1963 and 1970!). And although Elvis died so many years ago, they constantly release new material or compilations. So that might be a reason.

Elvis and Beatles were global, but neither would be as widely recognised as MJ in South Asia for example.
    Thats probably right for Elvis, as he was especially huge in US and Europe, but I think it's a different case with the Beatles. They were successful all over the world, also very popular in Asia. Still today, everyone knows songs like Yesterday or Hey Jude. So I think it's very possible that they sold as much or even more than MJ. With Elvis, he was the first global superstar, and at that time, there were generally fewer music artists and releases, so less competition.

Overall, there will never be exact numbers, all published sales are just based on estimates and there are huge deviations between the information from different sources.

Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassVeteranOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,332 Times in 841 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
    Elvis and Beatles were global, but neither would be as widely recognized as MJ in South Asia for example.
    Being recognized and selling are 2 different things. Muhammad Ali is recognized worldwide, but he didn't sell many records. Ali released a children's album in the 1970s. Also, isn't western music banned in some countries, and the albums are only available as bootlegs, if at all. Bootlegs don't count as official sales. Another thing is that the majority of the biggest selling artists are white and mostly male rock bands/singers, so that should give an idea of who are buying the most records and who people bought the most in the past.

Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Michael Jackson is the 2nd best selling musical act after The Beatles . He’s ahead of Elvis. Check out www.chartmasters.org . They actually rely on traceable record/single sales and lay it out for each artist .

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to travis3000 For This Useful Post:

Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,129 Times in 2,532 Posts

Elvis selling 1 billion albums is a load of B.S. And I think the reason why The Beatles is ahead of Michael is because they made more albums than him. If they both made the same amount of albums, then I think Michael would have outsold The Beatles

9. The Following User Says Thank You to analogue For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registeredOverdrive

Level
    Thanks

The Beatles are ahead of Michael because they released albums every year in the 60s, which was their peak. If Michael had done the same in the 80s, I am sure he would be ahead of the Beatles.

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 285
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,280 Times in 582 Posts

I'm just gonna say it. I don't believe Elvis or The Beatles for that matter sold anything near a billion records, let alone sell more than Michael

Neither have an album that has sold over 30 million records. Have to wonder if Michael was born white, would the story be different...

Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 470
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by analogue View Post
    Elvis selling 1 billion albums is a load of B.S. And I think the reason why The Beatles is ahead of Michael is because they made more albums than him. If they both made the same amount of albums, then I think Michael would have outsold The Beatles
    Totally agree

Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassVeteranOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,332 Times in 841 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothCriminal1995 View Post
    Have to wonder if Michael was born white, would the story be different.
    Yeah, he'd be Donny Osmond, who's solo recording career wasn't that successful after the 1970s and wasn't really taken seriously. He'd be just another white singer. If the J5 were white, they probably wouldn't have been a big thing anyway, just another teen idol group or singer that had brief success. Very few had big success as adults. Even New Kids On The Block didn't, and they were huge during their time.

I think it was because the J5 got signed to Motown that helped them. Motown was still somewhat a popular label when the J5 first came out. If the J5 had signed to a major label like Warner Brothers or RCA, they wouldn't have gotten the same push, because at the time black music wasn't their focus like with Motown. At most, at a major they would probably have just been promoted to R&B radio. Motown generally tried to reach the mainstream audience, unlike other black oriented labels like Chess, Malaco, & Stax.

Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registeredOverdrive

Level
    Thanks

Have to wonder if Michael was born white, would the story be different...
    One thing is for sure, if Michael was white, there would be no accusations and documentaries about him being a pedophile. The media would do anything in their power to protect him, just like they protect their white heros like Elvis, David Bowie, Harvey Weinstein etc.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Nite Line For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 285
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,280 Times in 582 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DuranDuran View Post
    Yeah, he'd be Donny Osmond, who's solo recording career wasn't that successful after the 1970s and wasn't really taken seriously. He'd be just another white singer. If the J5 were white, they probably wouldn't have been a big thing anyway, just another teen idol group or singer that had brief success. Very few had big success as adults. Even New Kids On The Block didn't, and they were huge during their time.

I think it was because the J5 got signed to Motown that helped them. Motown was still somewhat a popular label when the J5 first came out. If the J5 had signed to a major label like Warner Brothers or RCA, they wouldn't have gotten the same push, because at the time black music wasn't their focus like with Motown. At most, at a major they would probably have just been promoted to R&B radio. Motown generally tried to reach the mainstream audience, unlike other black oriented labels like Chess, Malaco, & Stax.
    Fair comment. Just to clarify, I meant if nothing about Michael's story and success was different, just the colour of his skin. Would he have been as scrutinized
    No offence indented

Achievements:
    31 days registered100 Experience PointsOverdrive

Thanks

I'm just gonna say it. I don't believe Elvis or The Beatles for that matter sold anything near a billion records, let alone sell more than Michael

Neither have an album that has sold over 30 million records. Have to wonder if Michael was born white, would the story be different...
    Disagree 100% about if Michael was born white.

MJ was well on his way to ultimate icon status at a level even beyond Elvis and The Beatles when he was black.

Unfortunately the crazy stories/ surgery and allegations really had a negative impact on how he was viewed by the world. This is the only reason why he’s not seen by some as the greatest ever and why he doesn’t have the same respect as the other two.

This is despite the fact that we all know he was the best.

Having said that, his legacy was in a brilliant place until this documentary.

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 881
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,239 Times in 500 Posts

Michael Jackson is in front at Number 1. The 750 Millionen is from 1987. Was 1987 in the book of world records. 32 years old now. And the sales for elvis and beatles are just claims. Rememeber the weird 2 Billion claims for them. LOL. 1. Michael Jackson. 2. Beatles. 3. maybe Elvis. Elvis was just an american artist. Not global. Not that much sales in the other continents. Everywhere in the World the sales for Michael Jackson are much higher than for the others.