Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,775 Times in 2,238 Posts

Default Re: The Estate vs HBO

We have a tenative ruling, meaning the judge is letting us know where he is leaning. It will be official with Judge Wu's official ruling released either tommorow or after his vacation on September 30th.

I have shared statements from Howard Weitzman and Johnathan Steinaspir on my Twitter. Come visit me, I miss you guys!

https://twitter.com/rasheedKOPV
    Walk in truth, stand IN JUSTICE https://twitter.com/rasheedKOPV?s=09

2. The Following User Says Thank You to KOPV For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 60
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First Class3 months registered5000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I really hope this means we are getting somewhere. let's see what's happens tomorrow or on the 30th. please let this be hope.

a female with depression,generalized anxiety,who is intellectual delay with other mental delays

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points3 months registered

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NatureCriminal7896 View Post
    I really hope this means we are getting somewhere. let's see what's happens tomorrow or on the 30th. please let this be hope.

I hope this is it, that it goes to public arbitration with no appeals or whatever. This part is as important as the end result I think… this seems to be the opportunity to publicly shame HBO and destroy credibility of Leaving Neverland. No-one should pray for this bit to be over quickly. lol

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 469
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Three Friends10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,928 Times in 844 Posts

I don't want to celebrate so soon as the case hasn't even started yet, but it's a good first step. About ready to pop some popcorn.
    "Girls want to see some cake."

My Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/edog85

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainEoLove85 For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I really hope this is it too. i want this to be over. we been doing this for 7 months now. it's time to move on and stop dragging this. the lies are out there and this isn't free speech at all.

a female with depression,generalized anxiety,who is intellectual delay with other mental delays

Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,288 Times in 1,362 Posts

what does arbitration mean excatly?

Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 499 Posts

A judge arbitrates it. Its not like a nornal trial

Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,088 Times in 1,459 Posts

Even If 'Leaving Neverland' Judge Rules in Favor of Michael Jackson Estate, HBO Lawsuit Is Far From Over

"No matter who wins or loses it's going to be taken up on appeal. It does't matter what I do," said Judge George H. Wu on Thursday.
    A federal judge in Los Angeles on Thursday (Sept. 19) indicated he was leaning towards granting a request by Michael Jackson's estate requiring HBO be bound by a 1992 arbitration agreement rather than allowing a lawsuit over Leaving Neverland to continue in the federal court system. While arbitration proceedings are usually private, Jackson's attorneys have make the unusual request of wanting to hold public arbitration.

The lawsuit filed March 3 by Michael Jackson Estate against HBO over Leaving Neverland has taken some unusual turns and might actually end up before the Supreme Court, according to U.S. District Court Judge George H. Wu, who is currently overseeing the case. Jackson's estate initially filed its lawsuit against HBO in March, arguing the documentary violated a 1992 contract agreement that was signed in a licensing deal for HBO to televise Jackson's Dangerous World Tour concert in Bucharest, Romania.

The 1992 agreement stated that "HBO shall not make any disparaging remarks concerning [Michael Jackson] ... or do any act that may harm or disparage or cause to lower in esteem the reputation of [Jackson.]" In addition, the agreement contained a clause that all disputes regarding this agreement would be handled in arbitration.

Once Jackson's estate learned of the HBO documentary Leaving Neverland it reminded HBO about this 27-year-old agreement. HBO ignored Jackson's estates request. Jackson's estate subsequently filed a $100 million dollar lawsuit against HBO in state court after the documentary aired, claiming the documentary harmed the legacy of Michael Jackson. HBO later had the case moved from state to federal court, refusing to agree to arbitration, according to court papers. HBO subsequently filed an anti-SLAPP motion alleging the Jackson estate was trying to silence constitutional rights of free speech by attempting to compel them to arbitration.

HBO attorney Theodore Boutrous argued that Jackson's estate filing "screams strategic lawsuit" and that it was done to "chill speech" regarding child abuse.

Judge Wu said in the Los Angeles courtroom Thursday that the law was unsettled regarding whether an anti-SLAPP motion can be applied against a request to compel arbitration, calling the case "messy" and "unique." He said he expects both parties will appeal his decision, regardless, and the issue will ultimately be decided by a higher court, possibly even the Supreme Court.

"This case is interesting," Wu said. "No matter who wins or loses it's going to be taken up on appeal. It does't matter what I do."

Wu is expected to issue a final ruling by the earliest Friday or at the latest by Sept. 30. After hearing Wu's comments and questions during the hearing and seeing his tentative ruling, Jackson estate attorneys said they were confident the judge would issue a ruling in their favor.

"HBO has tried everything possible to avoid having a trier of fact adjudicate their wrongdoing," said Jackson estate attorney Bryan J. Freedman of Freedman & Taitelman, LLP, in a statement after the hearing. "If HBO believes its actions were proper then there is no reason for them to try and hide behind procedural technicalities to avoid an arbitration or a trial. Whether in an arbitration, federal court, state court or the court of appeal, the Estate of Michael Jackson will force HBO to be held accountable for its wrongful conduct. The Estate will never stop until justice has been obtained."

John Branca, co-executor of Jackson's estate, said, "I've never seen a media organization work so hard to keep a secret.... We are just trying to get all the facts out there."

When reached for comment, an HBO spokesperson said, "We are waiting to see the Judge's final decision."

https://www.billboard.com/articles/b...verland-ruling
    'We may not change the world in one day but we still can change some things today, in our small way.'[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Wow. well i'm ready if you guys are. let's see what he says. who knew this was gonna be ending up going to an bigger court? not me. it's starting to get serious.

Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by myosotis View Post
    John Branca, co-executor of Jackson's estate, said, "I've never seen a media organization work so hard to keep a secret.... We are just trying to get all the facts out there."
    I realize that the ruling is not final yet, BUT, in my humble opinion, HBO has got to be in panic mode right about now.

And not because of a "possible" 100 million dollar judgment against them, but terrified that any details regarding the making of this mockumentary would and/or could be made public.

The Estate Of Michael Jackson would like PUBLIC ARBITRATION. HBO, not so much.

The HBO Shareholders have got to be pissed at this point!!!!!!!

Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 499 Posts

The shredding machines are in full force!

Orka,HBO,geffen and all the croonies protecting weinstein. Love to see all the docs of how the doc was all set up.

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,386 Times in 2,620 Posts

What is HBO trying to hide? If Leaving Neverland is as credible as they claim it is then they wouldn't need to be keeping any secrets. The truth has nothing to hide

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

The truth is already out and has been since the train station thing came out. there's nothing else to hide.

Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,775 Times in 2,238 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8701girl View Post
    what does arbitration mean excatly?
    Arbitration is when an independent person or party settles a dispute. The benefit is speed and privacy! There would no longer be the time between court date 1,2,3.. etc!
    Walk in truth, stand IN JUSTICE https://twitter.com/rasheedKOPV?s=09

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KOPV View Post
    Arbitration is when an independent person or party settles a dispute. The benefit is speed and privacy! There would no longer be the time between court date 1,2,3.. etc!
    Oh yeah. we need that so we can speed this up and stop pushing back court dates. come on arbitration.