Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Michael Jackson: On The Wall Exhibition GERMANY (22 March 2019)

Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Michael Jackson: On The Wall Exhibition GERMANY (22 March 2019)

I love, love, love the Michael Jackson/Charles Baudelaire dichotomy artwork by Lorraine O'Grady. Michael as the last modernist, I think it was.

The Whole System Sucks
    - Michael Jackson -

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wednesday For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

I appreciate everyone who takes Michael seriously as an artist and who doesn't reduce him to his nose.
    The Whole System Sucks
    - Michael Jackson -

Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wednesday View Post
    I appreciate everyone who takes Michael seriously as an artist and who doesn't reduce him to his nose.
    Yes, of course! I think none of the presenting artists do it.

Through the rooms a guide is walking around to be there for any questions by the visitors: about MJ, the exhibition, all relevant topics... At one moment with some meters distance I had the opportunity to listen to a little debate between a man and the guide (in front of the Todd-Gray-artwork) That man obviously had no knowledge about MJ except the stupid and horrible rumors by the tabloids. And this guide explained to him some facts about the skin, the surgeries, LN. A bit later when she crossed my way I asked her if she is a fan of Michael, but no, she is not. She said she learned about MJ especially for this job. She did this task seriously and quite well - but without the passion we fans have.
    ...Well, after loving me, she said she couldn´t love another...
    Michael Jackson, The Girl Is Mine

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FlyMeToTheMoon For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheMoon View Post
    Yes, of course! I think none of the presenting artists do it.

Through the rooms a guide is walking around to be there for any questions by the visitors: about MJ, the exhibition, all relevant topics... At one moment with some meters distance I had the opportunity to listen to a little debate between a man and the guide (in front of the Todd-Gray-artwork) That man obviously had no knowledge about MJ except the stupid and horrible rumors by the tabloids. And this guide explained to him some facts about the skin, the surgeries, LN. A bit later when she crossed my way I asked her if she is a fan of Michael, but no, she is not. She said she learned about MJ especially for this job. She did this task seriously and quite well - but without the passion we fans have.
    I didn't even notice that person. Everyone looked like regular security to me. I do feel though that many artworks focused on Michael's appearance. especially that creepy fake Michael with the moving eyes by a Swiss artist.
    The Whole System Sucks
    - Michael Jackson -

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wednesday View Post
    I didn't even notice that person. Everyone looked like regular security to me. I do feel though that many artworks focused on Michael's appearance. especially that creepy fake Michael with the moving eyes by a Swiss artist.
    Do you mean this large ugly single portrait which seems to be a collage of several pictures looking like a fantasy drawing used by the police searching for a criminal person? And which moves slightly? Which probably should show MJ - but definitely doesn´t look like MJ? That in fact is absolutely horrible! (I just looked into the catalogue to find the description for it, but couldn´t find it. Obviously it wasn´t shown in the first exhibition in London.) I have no idea what that ´artist´ wanted to express - that exhibit is so embarrassing, I even couldn´t look at it and so I also didn´t read the caption.

But in my opinion a lot of the presented artists express their serious reflections and emotional experiences with the complete man and artist Michael Jackson.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheMoon View Post
    Do you mean this large ugly single portrait which seems to be a collage of several pictures looking like a fantasy drawing used by the police searching for a criminal person? And which moves slightly? Which probably should show MJ - but definitely doesn´t look like MJ? That in fact is absolutely horrible! (I just looked into the catalogue to find the description for it, but couldn´t find it. Obviously it wasn´t shown in the first exhibition in London.) I have no idea what that ´artist´ wanted to express - that exhibit is so embarrassing, I even couldn´t look at it and so I also didn´t read the caption.

But in my opinion a lot of the presented artists express their serious reflections and emotional experiences with the complete man and artist Michael Jackson.
    That was it. Couldn't have described it better!
    The Whole System Sucks
    - Michael Jackson -

9. The Following User Says Thank You to wednesday For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,062 Times in 4,097 Posts

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Paris78 For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

“Michael Jackson: On The Wall” at EMMA – Espoo Museum of Modern Art

The last chapter of the “Michael Jackson: On The Wall” exhibition is opening tomorrow in Finland at the EMMA (Espoo Museum of Modern Art) and the gallery is all ready to welcome all the fans!

Like London, Paris and Bonn, fans will be able to see portraits and arts inspired by the King of Pop! The same artwork, different setting! A much more modern place than its predecessors with huge open spaces ready for you to enjoy Michael!

Produced by the National Portrait Gallery and with the cooperation of the Michael Jackson Estate, the exhibition will open on 21/08 and ends on 26/01/2020!

(MJViBE)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paris78 For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Michael Jackson art show opens in Finland despite controversy

By Afp

An exhibition of art inspired by Michael Jackson opened Tuesday in Helsinki with organisers insisting it was not a "celebration" of the singer, still dogged by abuse allegations a decade after his death.

"Michael Jackson: On the Wall" brings together old and new works depicting the iconic pop star and his impact on popular culture, by artists including Andy Warhol, American photographer David LaChapelle and British potter Grayson Perry.

The show of 90 works first hung in London's National Portrait Gallery in 2018 to widespread critical acclaim. It then toured in Paris and Bonn before coming to Helsinki.

The German and Finnish shows come after a new raft of allegations that Jackson groomed and sexually assaulted children, detailed in the 2018 documentary "Finding Neverland".

The exhibition will nevertheless run in the Finnish capital "as planned", organisers said, with a text at the entrance acknowledging that "current conversations may have changed the way the exhibition is interpreted".

"We can't shy away from these difficult subjects and we of course condemn all kinds of abuse," Arja Miller, chief curator at Espoo Museum of Modern Art, told AFP.

"But we also want to provide a platform for open discussion and for artists' voices," she said.

"This exhibition and these artists are not celebrating Michael Jackson, but analysing his meaning in our culture," Miller added.

- Sponsors scared away -

Miller said some organisations refused to sponsor the exhibition over concerns about the controversies surrounding the singer, despite not having seen the show.

"I'm convinced that if everyone would have seen the exhibition they'd gladly be our partner because the exhibition is so diverse," she told AFP.

Many of the Jackson-inspired works veer between the gaudy and the grotesque, including an oversized golden statue of the megastar with his pet chimpanzee, Bubbles, by Paul McCarthy.

Elsewhere, a life-size portrait by Kehinde Wiley, commissioned by Jackson himself shortly before his death in 2009, features the star in jewelled armour on horseback surrounded by cherubs, after a portrait by Rubens of King Philip II of Spain.

The Romanian artist Dan Mihaltianu's installation draws on the impact of Jackson's seminal 1992 concert in post-Communist Bucharest, using newspaper photos alongside concert footage.

Mihaltianu said that interest in his piece, from 1994, has grown again every time Michael Jackson has hit the headlines over the years.

"He will stay as an icon somehow, you cannot just erase him," Mihaltianu told AFP.

"I remember already when he died, people were kind of, 'OK, now he's got to rest in peace.' But 10 years later, it's a new story coming up."

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Paris78 For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paris78 For This Useful Post:

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

I hate to have to read up to this day that the ´social´ and other media don´t stop to keep alive all the LN-dirt - here also for example with "sponsors scared away".

I bet for the most people all around the world it is obviously and even proved that those 2 + 1 clowns + their entities behind are liars just to make money. No person than the usual haters is interested to be remembered again and again to all those stupid stories.

When I visited the German exhibition I noticed visitors of all ages (from babys to a real old lady, I stood beside her watching the JAM-film and we smiled to each other) in a cool and relaxed mood, intellectually curious and interested, they all enjoyed the artwork.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to FlyMeToTheMoon For This Useful Post: