Michael Jackson visiting Exeter City Football Club in 2002

leslieknope

Proud Member
Hi MJ fans! I am an artist-researcher in the UK, currently studying for a PhD, and am researching how fan communities document and archive different histories of their fan-subject.

One of the things I'm looking at is the day that Michael came to Exeter City Football Club in 2002, from the perspective of two different fan communities: MJ fans, and the Exeter football fans.

I would love to message with any of you who had stories to tell about this visit. I'm of course very happy to share more information and context of the research project, I have an informed consent form to share with any of you who would like to participate so you can find out more. That all sounds a bit formal, but essentially I'd love to have a chat with some of you and hear your stories about this fascinating visit. Any questions, please do let me know.

Thanks in advance :)

I lived in Exeter at the time. I was very young so I didn’t make plans to go and see him but I remember it being a huge topic of conversation with my parents and other people in the neighbourhood. Everyone was in disbelief that Michael was actually coming to Exeter.

I’m not sure how much help I could be to your research given how young I was at the time and that I didn’t really get involved with the visit other than local conversation and watching it on the news but if you did want to ask me anymore questions please feel free to reply or DM me.

Ah! I actually cant DM you yet as I'm a new user. It would be great to talk with you, but I need a way to get you the informed consent sheet so that we are adhering to my university's ethics guidelines. How is best to continue discussions plase? Are you able to DM me? Thank you so much for being open to chatting!

I can’t view your profile either to DM you. I just get a permission denied screen even though I can see other users profiles, it must be because you’re new.
I’d rather not post any of my social media profiles or contact details on here publically as I prefer to keep my identity/account on here private due to the controversial nature of the discussions that are happening here at the moment.
I could maybe set up a new email address that doesn’t give my identity away and post it here for you to contact me on but I won’t be able to do it until later today.

Anyone taking part in this, remember not to post your personal information on the public forum, as per board rules.

Edit: Apparently it's okay through PM though.

Thanks.

Anna;4253508 said:
Anyone taking part in this, remember not to post your personal information on the public forum or through PM on MJJC, as per board rules.

Thanks.
Thank you. Didn’t realise we could do this through personal messages. Is an anonymous email address ok to share to initiate contact away from MJJC?

Hi there,

I visited Exeter “with” Michael, joined him on the train along with other fans and Uri Geller & David Blaine. If you want my story let me know :)
It was mind blowing!!!

TanjaMJJ

leslieknope;4253434 said:
Hi MJ fans! I am an artist-researcher in the UK, currently studying for a PhD, and am researching how fan communities document and archive different histories of their fan-subject.

One of the things I'm looking at is the day that Michael came to Exeter City Football Club in 2002, from the perspective of two different fan communities: MJ fans, and the Exeter football fans.

I would love to message with any of you who had stories to tell about this visit. I'm of course very happy to share more information and context of the research project, I have an informed consent form to share with any of you who would like to participate so you can find out more. That all sounds a bit formal, but essentially I'd love to have a chat with some of you and hear your stories about this fascinating visit. Any questions, please do let me know.

Thanks in advance :)

tanjamjj;4253523 said:
Hi there,

I visited Exeter “with” Michael, joined him on the train along with other fans and Uri Geller & David Blaine. If you want my story let me know :)
It was mind blowing!!!

TanjaMJJ

Wow. You certainly have a much better story to tell than I do!

AG5050;4253521 said:
Thank you. Didn’t realise we could do this through personal messages. Is an anonymous email address ok to share to initiate contact away from MJJC?

I checked with Gaz, he said you'll have to wait till the OP gets past ten posts and then if you want to exchange personal info through PM, that's okay.

I checked with Gaz, he said you'll have to wait till the OP gets past ten posts and then if you want to exchange personal info through PM, that's okay.
Thank you very much. Hopefully if OP replies to a few more posts in here then we can PM.

Thanks again.

Thank you Tanja, I think I have come across your Mj YoutUbe channel, would be great to hear more from you! Hopefully I will be able to DM soon (Im a newbie here).

Hi AG5050, hoping that if I contribute a few more posts I'll be able to DM soon. Thanks for your help :)

Hi Anna, and everyone, to say that I am very happy for people's comments to be anonymous or credited to screen names if people prefer. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, no personal information is to be posted on the public forum. That includes email addresses.

leslieknope, once you get to ten posts and the time reaches midnight (GMT) you will be able to send and receive PMs. Please do not spam multiple posts in order to reach this number.

Thanks.

The day we got on the train with Michael Jackson was one of the most amazing days ever! We came to the train station and Michael was there with so many fans and I remember being on the train looking out of the window and all of a sudden he ran past my window towards the front of the train. It was like watching a scene from Moonwalker where he is running from paparazzi. He was amazing, beautiful! I remember him running and looked back once to see where the fans are... earlier he got pushed on the floor as the crowd was so heavy.
The feeling of knowing you are on the same train as Michael Jackson is unbelievable !!!!!
When we came there, to Exeter, he got into a limousine and was driving towards his hotel. It was busy at the train station but once the limousine started to move the fans scattered. Some of them went to the hotel. I don’t know how they knew where he will be staying as I didn’t even know that he will be at the hotel. I ran with his limo and it was fantastic to see him sitting inside looking out!!!
We eventually made it to the hotel. I ran all the way there and luckily didn’t get lost. He stayed there for maybe an hour or so and when he came out again he went into a limo and I managed to give him my letter and hold his hand whilst a fan was on the limo’s window telling him how amazing he is. Uri Geller was sitting by the window so I was holding Michaels hand through Uri (who was filming everything). So amazing!!!!
There is obviously so much more to say about all of this but I can’t keep writing at the moment. I can tell you more at some other time ... :) mind blowing memories.

The day we got on the train with Michael Jackson was one of the most amazing days ever! We came to the train station and Michael was there with so many fans and I remember being on the train looking out of the window and all of a sudden he ran past my window towards the front of the train. It was like watching a scene from Moonwalker where he is running from paparazzi. He was amazing, beautiful! I remember him running and looked back once to see where the fans are... earlier he got pushed on the floor as the crowd was so heavy.
The feeling of knowing you are on the same train as Michael Jackson is unbelievable !!!!!
When we came there, to Exeter, he got into a limousine and was driving towards his hotel. It was busy at the train station but once the limousine started to move the fans scattered. Some of them went to the hotel. I don’t know how they knew where he will be staying as I didn’t even know that he will be at the hotel. I ran with his limo and it was fantastic to see him sitting inside looking out!!!
We eventually made it to the hotel. I ran all the way there and luckily didn’t get lost. He stayed there for maybe an hour or so and when he came out again he went into a limo and I managed to give him my letter and hold his hand whilst a fan was on the limo’s window telling him how amazing he is. Uri Geller was sitting by the window so I was holding Michaels hand through Uri (who was filming everything). So amazing!!!!
There is obviously so much more to say about all of this but I can’t keep writing at the moment. I can tell you more at some other time ... :) mind blowing memories.
@staywild23 @MacMandy90 @Hiker

This is the little story I mentioned. There's not much to it but it's a nice little snapshot of a Michael moment.

Not the most glamorous football team to visit 😃
To give some perspective they played at that time in the 4th division and I believe they relegated to the 5th division.
So this story is simply so amazing it should be made into a movie. The type where we only see Michael from a distance, never up close with people from the town talking about it, being excited or in disbelief. There is a really great comedy in there!

That's my point. If he was taken to Man United or one of the Big Six (as we call them) I could understand it. But flaming Exeter? fgs!!!!!

To give some perspective they played at that time in the 4th division and I believe they relegated to the 5th division.
Yeah. That's Exeter for you.

So this story is simply so amazing it should be made into a movie. The type where we only see Michael from a distance, never up close with people from the town talking about it, being excited or in disbelief. There is a really great comedy in there!
You have a more generous soul than I do, f&m. And you have a better imagination. I have never seen the story in this light. This is definitely a more positive way to look at it.

I tip my hat to you.

N.B. I don't wear hats. :D

Last edited:
f&m, I'm guessing this little episode won't be making it into the biopic, lol.

f&m, I'm guessing this little episode won't be making it into the biopic, lol.
Keep bumping this until an inspired writer sees this and writes a pitch for some movie company. There is absolutely a typical. British comedy in there! I’m thinking about colorful working class characters, a huge fan, a couple of elder people who somehow never heard of Michael Jackson, all kinds of different accents, misunderstandings, a village idiot etc

Keep bumping this until an inspired writer sees this and writes a pitch for some movie company. There is absolutely a typical. British comedy in there! I’m thinking about colorful working class characters, a huge fan, a couple of elder people who somehow never heard of Michael Jackson, all kinds of different accents, misunderstandings, a village idiot etc
f&m, you just described the type of British film that used to get made back in the 60's and 70's. John Cleese did a p*ss-take of that sort of film with Clockwise, I suppose. I don't watch tv but I don't think that stuff gets made any more, lol.

Back