Disney+ and Captain EO?

Themidwestcowboy

Proud Member
With the upcoming launch of Disney's new behemoth of a streaming service (Disney+), what do you think are the chances of them making captain eo available in their library of movies? They are making available their entire movie catalogue, which include more obscure releases.

I am absolutely going to subscribe to this service and it would be awesome if they included Captain EO in their library.

What do you think?

That would be awesome, but I just don't know if it will happen; they're not going to want bad publicity. However, since the service doesn't launch until November, it's possible that enough time will have passed (and enough people will have seen the new evidence that keeps coming out) that it won't result in bad publicity.

I'm more curious about the fact that they're including The Simpsons in Disney+. I'm guessing Stark Raving Dad won't be included in that at first, but I could definitely see them quietly putting back that episode at some point. (I was actually just talking about this with one of my coworkers recently; right now they're just virtue signaling by pulling the episode, but I definitely get the sense that, even if it's years from now, they will put it back in rotation someday.)

That would be awesome, but I just don't know if it will happen; they're not going to want bad publicity. However, since the service doesn't launch until November, it's possible that enough time will have passed (and enough people will have seen the new evidence that keeps coming out) that it won't result in bad publicity.

I'm more curious about the fact that they're including The Simpsons in Disney+. I'm guessing Stark Raving Dad won't be included in that at first, but I could definitely see them quietly putting back that episode at some point. (I was actually just talking about this with one of my coworkers recently; right now they're just virtue signaling by pulling the episode, but I definitely get the sense that, even if it's years from now, they will put it back in rotation someday.)
I agree. Disney has hired the Director back for Guardians of the Galaxy after being fired an accused of by 3 women which he denied.
People are tired of this nonsense overall.

Disney has hired the Director back for Guardians of the Galaxy after being fired an accused of by 3 women which he denied.

Oh yeah, I had almost forgotten about that! (Also similar stuff with Johnny Depp.) I'm all for believing victims; however, if evidence comes out showing that whatever the person is claiming did not actually happen, that also has to be taken into consideration. People get way too hasty with this "cancel culture" stuff.

On a completely unrelated note, I'm curious to see what Disney+ does with Song of the South. Are they actually stating that their entire movie catalogue is going to be available? If so, it should be interesting to see what happens with that particular movie.

Nantucket Cat;4255115 said:

That may not happen at all, “The Simpsons” may get cancelled after Disney owns them and may alter it and “The Simpsons” don’t want that due to it, if happens, then I say good riddance, they killed “Stark Raving Dad” episode away from us, they’re meeting their own demise since I’m still boycotting the rest of the remain of the 30th season.

https://www.studentproblems.com/the...rving-star/amp/#click=https://t.co/VXJe8vRYjy

It's important to keep in mind that Captain EO was theme park attraction, designed to be viewed within Disney's parks. Not sure if Disney putting their stuff up for streaming would extend to any theme park attraction movies like EO, the original version of Star Tours, or any other ones they've done. If it does, it'd be pretty cool to see it up there, but given the controversy right now I wouldn't hold my breath. It would be nice to finally get a HQ widescreen version of it, though.

It's important to keep in mind that Captain EO was theme park attraction, designed to be viewed within Disney's parks. Not sure if Disney putting their stuff up for streaming would extend to any theme park attraction movies like EO, the original version of Star Tours, or any other ones they've done. If it does, it'd be pretty cool to see it up there, but given the controversy right now I wouldn't hold my breath. It would be nice to finally get a HQ widescreen version of it, though.

Although it IS a movie and not part of a simulation.

But given LN, I'd say with confidence there's no chance.

It's a copyright issue in the first place, as it has always been, in regards to release Captain EO to the home entertainment market.

It has become a little more easy now, as Lucas Film got bought by Disney. So it's only between MJ Estate and Disney now.

In 2018 the MJ Estate sued ABC (Disney) over unauthorized use of MJ material in the TV docu "The Last Days Of MJ". Does anyone know what the current status of this is? Definitly no Captain EO before that's not solved.

Btw, an interesting Rough Cut leaked a while ago.

Check out that instrumental song playing between "we are here.." and "another part of me"!

From m j v i b e . c o m
The rough Captain EO cut also features some pretty big differences, even without taking the special effects into consideration. The transformation of the Supreme Leader is noticeably different from the final cut and the communication set up with Commander Bog is also radically different from what fans saw on the big screen. In addition, some of the instrumental music provided during the cut scenes are unreleased pieces of Michael Jackson music, which have surfaced over the years on bootleg recordings. One of the cooler bits of unreleased footage comes at the end when the newly transformed Supreme Leader knights Captain EO. As an added bonus, instead of the ship taking off at the end, the planet turns back into a greener world, using footage from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.

Last edited:
I can't see Disney releasing the movie on Disney+ at all.
Perhaps the best we could hope for is for them to allow MJ Estate to release it in its entirety as one of their own product launches (not endorsed or publicised by Disney), or for 'music videos' to be cut from the original film reels and released as part of a new MJ music video package.

That last option would work well I think.

Although it IS a movie and not part of a simulation.

But given LN, I'd say with confidence there's no chance.

True, though like Electro said it's likely licensing issues that prevent it. Add LN on top of that and it's a big mess. Sigh... it's a shame; when I saw it at Epcot back in 2013 and 2014 the video quality looked SO good. Maybe someday...

Due to the backlash i don't think we getting anything this year. maybe one day MJ estate will put this on DVD or stream etc. Disney own "captain eo" but they do not own MJ. maybe one day MJ estate and Disney will do something with this. :scratch:

Never gonna happen.
Even without recent backlash, they wouldn't do it.

Best bet is if the estate works out a deal to do it without the disney banner, in a far removed future.

I agree. Disney has hired the Director back for Guardians of the Galaxy after being fired an accused of by 3 women which he denied.
People are tired of this nonsense overall.

James Gunn didn't have any allegations by women against him...

James Gunn had old tweets that resurfaced that weren't a good look for him.

PoP;4255157 said:
That may not happen at all, “The Simpsons” may get cancelled after Disney owns them and may alter it and “The Simpsons” don’t want that due to it, if happens, then I say good riddance, they killed “Stark Raving Dad” episode away from us, they’re meeting their own demise since I’m still boycotting the rest of the remain of the 30th season.

https://www.studentproblems.com/the...rving-star/amp/#click=https://t.co/VXJe8vRYjy

Uh....there's no shortage of places to legally view and obtain Stark Raving Dad.
It'll prolly make its way back into the rotation at some point of the streaming service.

Uh....there's no shortage of places to legally view and obtain Stark Raving Dad.
It'll prolly make its way back into the rotation at some point of the streaming service.

It's still on Amazon Prime Video in the UK.

Back