The Estate/John Branca Considering Suing 'Leaving Neverland' Director Dan Reed over lies etc

Lightbringer

Proud Member
I put this in a separate thread, because its a big big story if its coming something out of this, and the Leaving Neverland thread is already filled to the brim. Its just unreal how they can be caught lying in a film of such horrific allegations and nobody cares about it.

Is it remotely possible to have some kind of change to defamation laws? Its madness that there is no protection at all for the deceased, which opened the possibility for this load of crap.
---

Michael Jackson Co-Executor John Branca Says He's Considering Suing 'Leaving Neverland' Director Dan Reed

Michael Jackson estate co-executor John Branca spoke publicly for the first time about Leaving Neverland on April 16 and indicated that additional litigation -- this time against the documentary's director Dan Reed -- may be forthcoming. Branca and two of the other members of Jackson's estate legal team, Howard Weitzman and Bryan Freedman, were the the key participants in the panel discussion titled "Trial by Media: Guilty Until Proven Innocent" presented at Harvard’s Institute of Politics in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

The attorneys had harsh words for the documentary and Reed, telling an audience of approximately 20 they were determined to defend and rebuild Jackson's reputation in the wake of Leaving Neverland, which contained disturbing and graphic first-person accounts of Jackson's alleged pedophilia but did not give the estate a chance to respond to these accusations.

With litigation already underway against HBO -- in February, the estate filed a $100-million lawsuit against the pay-cable network alleging it had violated a non-disparagement clause contained in a 1992 agreement to premiere Jackson's concert film, Live in Bucharest: The Dangerous Tour -- Branca said he and the estate's lawyers are now considering legal action directly against Reed, although he was not specific about what grounds he had for litigation.

In response to Branca's comments, an HBO spokesperson said, "Dan Reed is a proven, award-winning filmmaker and we have full confidence in his film."

For Branca, 68, who knew Jackson personally and even once had the singer serve as his best man, the documentary hit below the belt.

"Those people made up a goddamn story because they wanted money and we will not allow that to go unchecked," Branca told Billboard after the event. "It's that simple."

He said the estate was blindsided by the film because it was done "in complete secrecy." He said neither HBO nor Reed gave the estate an opportunity to clear up inaccuracies or to present Jackson's side of events involving Wade Robson and James Safechuck. For Branca, Freedman and Weitzman, Jackson's treatment in the media has been one-sided and made possible by the fact that there is no defamation protection for the deceased.

Branca said he believes the law surrounding defamation should be reevaluated.

"Because the laws of defamation are what they are, there is nothing we can do or say," Branca said. "The man can be damaged, his kids can be hurt and theoretically nothing can be done. I'm going to suggest the law should be changed to protect the deceased at least for a period of time. Because it's about the truth, it's about fairness, and it's about balance."

"Dan Reed's documentary is replete with inaccuracies, lies and stuff they knew not to be true," Branca told Billboard. "They should be ashamed of themselves."

Branca said he understands that people would say he is biased because he has a financial interest in Jackson's estate. Over the 10 years that have passed since Jackson's death in 2009, the estate's wealth has grown exponentially under Branca's leadership. Billboard calculates that Jackson's music catalog alone is now worth upwards of $570 million, and as co-executor Branca receives a 10 percent commission on new entertainment revenues generated for the estate. "It's a fact I won't deny," Branca said, but he added that his fight to clear Jackson's name is more about fairness than money.

"I knew the man, I had my feelings about the man, and I don't like what has happened where you can't hear the other side of the story," Branca said during the panel presentation. "There are real world implications and repercussions when somebody says something like was said [in Leaving Neverland]."

Branca said the estate was on an upward trajectory prior to the documentary and has taken a hit. He added, though, that streaming sales are still up from last year.

Hopefully the real truth will come out, other facts will come out and people will pay attention to both sides of the story," said Branca. "From the point of view of society, I want to make it so people feel comfortable saying, 'I love Michael's music.'"

"Michael," Branca said to Billboard, "is too big to fail."

John Branca should stop considering, and just do it.

Suing for what? If the law doesn't consider defamation for a dead person
And forget the word " considering".

Suing for what? If the law doesn't consider defamation for a dead person
And forget the word " considering".

There are other things you can sue for. Lawyers can always find a way. Reed has shown very shady tactics. I'm sure they can come up with a lot of material.

Never wanted to see someone sued so much in my life. Have pure hatred for him.

There are other things you can sue for. Lawyers can always find a way. Reed has shown very shady tactics. I'm sure they can come up with a lot of material.

I agree. They should throw everything at the wall and see what stick just like these conartists are doing. At least the Estate have a case and dealing with truth.

Good! I wanted them to sue Reeks sorry @$$. Sue him real good!

this should be said by MJ children, not Branca
said Branca. "From the point of view of society, I want to make it so people feel comfortable saying, 'I love Michael's music.'"

said Branca. "From the point of view of society, I want to make it so people feel comfortable saying, 'I love Michael's music.'"

What about loving Michael Jackson as a person and what he stood for?

Sue the arse off the all the lowlifes John please! also (if th Etsy ring story is true ) look for the shop who sold him that ring ,Safechucj should be in prison by now:girl_tantrum:

If they can find any solid case to move forward then more power to them. Unfortunately defamation of the deceased is legal so Im not too confident in what their options are. HBO Lawsuit is promising.

Say what you want about other things the Estate have done, but I'm so proud of how strong and fiercely they've protected Michael's legacy this past few months.

I'm truly proud of the Estate and trust they're doing everything they can to get Michael the respect and vindication he deserves

Say what you want about other things the Estate have done, but I'm so proud of how strong and fiercely they've protected Michael's legacy this past few months.

I'm truly proud of the Estate and trust they're doing everything they can to get Michael the respect and vindication he deserves

Have you forgot the Cascio tracks ?

?????
What for amazing things have they done? Did I miss something?

I'm still veeeery dissapointed from the estate!!!

The media would have finally buried MJ AND his legacy globally on June 25 (what I thought was the plan after I have heared that they have sold LN in 130 countrys) once and for all when there where not so many MJFans and no Taj and Brandi doing something and the estate whould go skint!
They wanted so hard to rewhrite ( black) history and still try to do this!
That this can not happen now in the next two years (til anouther greedy backstabber decided to accuse MJ) has not really something to with the estate.

Last edited:
Oh Boy

yeah , same , I have a great respect for them. they work so silently. they do. they mimic Michael's mindset ,composure, & lucidity. I respect that , and they are not quick to jump nor break. I would love to see the 3 stooges try sleep at night. i bet they cant, knowing what mess they have got themselves into lol. ...because once Branca gets greed in court, goodness me. greed will not mentally know whats hit him.

the-truth-always-comes-out-in-the-end-no-matter-15623850.png
182cc38c86ec01f3f12a146c747b6310.jpg
hqdefault.jpg
A-lie-is-fast-but-the-truth-is-slow-in-coming.jpg
images
4778166-Neil-Gaiman-Quote-The-best-way-to-show-people-true-things-is-from.jpg

Last edited:

If it were not for MJ's fans and their diligence and patience MJ's image would have been ruined beyond repair at this stage. The estate did absolutely nothing effective to debunk the smear campaign unleashed by the media.

ManBehindTheMirrOr - Dona;4255383 said:
Because he is ego and is only thinking about his money what comes trough MJs music.

It is Branca’s JOB to speak of people loving Michael’s music. Branca AND MCClain(Co-executors of the Estate) are supposed to be paid for running the Estate. I don’t of any other executors who do this job for free. Branca is an attorney that is the reason he is out front. John McClain, a black man, is a former record executive who had a lot to do with Janet’s career, has EQUAL power in the decisions that Branca makes. I don’t know how many of you know that, since you seem to think Branca is making decisions alone. FTR, Branca is one of, if not the biggest entertainment lawyer in the business. He is entertainment lawyer for some of the most famous people in the industry. Branca was already SUPER RICH before he became a CO-executor of the Estate. Therefore, we are not speaking of a little two-bit lawyer. However, Michael’s Estate is his largest client.

Last edited:
Soundmind;4255494 said:
If it were not for MJ's fans and their diligence and patience MJ's image would have been ruined beyond repair at this stage. The estate did absolutely nothing effective to debunk the smear campaign unleashed by the media.

You are correct about the fans. We, the fans, have done an awesome job defending Michael and debunking the lies. However, thst does not take away from the worthy job the Estate is doing in keeping Michael’s legacy alive. At least, give them credit for not just sitting on their asses doing nothing as other estates of recently deceased artists are doing. Not only is the Estate trying to reach new fans, they try to appease Michael’s older fan base. Of course, some are going to complain and sabotage everything thst they do. The problem with that is that when fans try and sabotage the Estate, in reality you are sabotaging Michael, and doing just what the media and haters want-destroying his sales and legacy.

Re: Oh Boy

yeah , same , I have a great respect for them. they work so silently. they do. they mimic Michael's mindset ,composure, & lucidity. I respect that , and they are not quick to jump nor break. I would love to see the 3 stooges try sleep at night. i bet they cant, knowing what mess they have got themselves into lol. ...because once Branca gets greed in court, goodness me. greed will not mentally know whats hit him.

the-truth-always-comes-out-in-the-end-no-matter-15623850.png
182cc38c86ec01f3f12a146c747b6310.jpg
hqdefault.jpg
A-lie-is-fast-but-the-truth-is-slow-in-coming.jpg
images
4778166-Neil-Gaiman-Quote-The-best-way-to-show-people-true-things-is-from.jpg

Thank you. The ESTATE does not need to be at the forefront of debunking these lies as WE, the fans are. I like how they work BEHIND the scenes, and you never know what the are doing, until the come out with it. They are doing their job with the litigation and fighting these lying pieces of scum in the court, andthe fans are doing an extraordinary job defending Michael. Some of you need to stop acting as if the Estate is sitting around twiddling their thumbs doing nothing. They ARE doing their job.

1nn5;4255416 said:
Have you forgot the Cascio tracks ?

I haven’t. However, that doesn’t take away from the great things they have done-Immortal Tour, ONE show in Vegas, XSCAPE album, etc. I was pissed at the Casciotracks, but I’m not going to sit around and not support Michael and the Estates projects because of that one thing.

somewhereinthedark;4255505 said:
I haven’t. However, that doesn’t take away from the great things they have done-Immortal Tour, ONE show in Vegas, XSCAPE album, etc. I was pissed at the Casciotracks, but I’m not going to sit around and not support Michael and the Estates projects because of that one thing.
The Estate isn't ideal as you think.
It's true they defended MJ in courts.
But in front of the media, there's no Estate.
There is a lack of creativity from them.

Back