Ride with me/It´s not worth it

Mr. Norway

Proud Member
In the For the record book it says of this song:

"Instrumental Rodney Jerkins wrote for a CD titled VERSITILITY - aimed at up-and-coming artists, to help them create their own songs by adding lyrics. Contained a sample of MJ, as did Brandy`s Its not worth it, but not a new MJ song as some fans believe."

This leads to my question: if MJ´s vocals are not from a new MJ song, where is it from? Did MJ record that "baby stay" line for that Rodney Jerkins track? I originally thought that "Its not worth it" was a song from the Invincible sessions that Mj had recorded but was not included on the album and then Rodney took that vocals from there and put in his own song but it does not seem to be like that after all. I really think an MJ version of that Brandy song would be great, though.

Mr. Norway;4255379 said:
In the For the record book it says of this song:

"Instrumental Rodney Jerkins wrote for a CD titled VERSITILITY - aimed at up-and-coming artists, to help them create their own songs by adding lyrics. Contained a sample of MJ, as did Brandy`s Its not worth it, but not a new MJ song as some fans believe."

This leads to my question: if MJ´s vocals are not from a new MJ song, where is it from? Did MJ record that "baby stay" line for that Rodney Jerkins track? I originally thought that "Its not worth it" was a song from the Invincible sessions that Mj had recorded but was not included on the album and then Rodney took that vocals from there and put in his own song but it does not seem to be like that after all. I really think an MJ version of that Brandy song would be great, though.

Actually, that Rodney Jerkins' instrumental album is called ‘Versatility’, not ‘Versitility’.

‘Ride With Me’ was not supposed to be on the ‘Invincible’ album.

Rodney Jerkins took that MJ’s vocal from a tape & he inserted the vocal in that ‘Ride With Me’ track.

In fact, he sampled MJ’s voice here.

It remains unknown which tape is that, or, for what song MJ originally recorded that vocal.

I thought MJ did those background vocals for the Brandy track in return for her doing background vocals on one of his - I forget which one now haha.

Both Invincible and the Brandy album were done around the same time as far as I recall.

mj_frenzy;4255406 said:
Actually, that Rodney Jerkins' instrumental album is called ‘Versatility’, not ‘Versitility’.

Rodney Jerkins took that MJ’s vocal from a tape & he inserted the vocal in that ‘Ride With Me’ track.

It remains unknown which tape is that, or, for what song MJ originally recorded that vocal.

- Well, then the writers of the For The Record book have a misspell, because I just wrote what they wrote. And they wrote"... a CD titled VERSITILITY". But I have also checked and you must be right, I guess they must have meant VERSATILITY. Good point.

Anyway, the really interesting thing here must be which tape/song he took that MJ sample from. Too bad nobody seems to know that.

I thought MJ did those background vocals for the Brandy track in return for her doing background vocals on one of his - I forget which one now haha.

Both Invincible and the Brandy album were done around the same time as far as I recall.
Brandy bgv on a mj track? Nahhhhhh

mj_frenzy;4255406 said:

So when it's unknown for what it was recorded, you can't exclude Invincible. It's simply unknown.

And "in fact" I'm pretty sure that by the year ~2000 tapes (DAT) were no longer in use in professional studios. :)

Also the term "sampling" is usually rather used to refer to copy-pasting / reusing small bits and pieces of music or vocals, not a whole full refrain.

MJ is definitely on it’s not worth it. Did not know that until now, just listened to it. Brandy is on break of dawn or Heaven can wait. Don’t remember which one it’s been awhile since I listened to Vince.

Brandy is on Unbreakable at 5:17 onwards. You can hear the soft backing vocals.

And "in fact" I'm pretty sure that by the year ~2000 tapes (DAT) were no longer in use in professional studios. :)

They were. I have that album and several songs from those sessions all on DAT. :listeningtomusic

Back