Does the Dangerous album need a surround sound remix/remaster?

Sensual Disguise

Proud Member
It's perhaps Jackson's most complex album in terms of composition; and while Thriller is also certainly a candidate (Apparently it did receive a new mix, but was never released) Dangerous has gone somewhat unloved by his estate and record company in terms of post release editions. There have only been reissues as far as I'm aware. Many fans clamor for unreleased material, but my focus is on the released songs.

I've been listening to the album's 1991 vinyl release and noted that while very dynamic, the album could benefit from a new mix.

Back in 2017 the Australian rock group INXS released a 30th deluxe edition of their hit record Kick (a very good album)

Dolby Atmos doesn't repeat many of the loudness war remaster issues of the 2000s, and I can't help but wonder what Dangerous would sound like if they went this route and created a surround sound version akin to the above. Kick 30 sounds rejuvenated and contemporary, yet the spirit of what was originally recorded endures.

I don't know what it is about Dangerous in particular, but I can never get the EQ just right when I load it up. Those background vocals on Why You Wanna Trip On Me for instance will frustratingly appear then disappear depending on audio settings.

It's like Jackson is competing with the instrumentation for prominence on some tracks (like the verses on Jam)
This certainly could have been an artistic decision on his part, but I wonder if the album sounded different at the state of the art studios, vs what was pressed and played by the masses. There is also the speculation that post Bad tour, he may have had some hearing loss from all those blaring concert speakers.

What are your thoughts?

agreed, MJs catalog as well as videos are due an upgrade. its a shame the estate has dragged their feet for so long

Back