Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why Did Michael Cover Up His Vitiligo Instead of Letting it Be?

Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 180
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Why did Michael cover up his vitiligo instead letting it be?

Quote Originally Posted by Piek View Post
    No one should even feel obliged to disclose any personal health information with the world – famous or not. It's a deeply personal decision to keep that private or tell it to the world. We can only be thankful when a famous person decides to share this information, because it can help a lot of other people, but it should never be mandatory.

Michael shared this information when he felt it was appropriate to do so, and when he felt safe enough to do so. It was good he did – but keeping it to himself the rest of his life would have been fine, too. It's his choice.
    ^^^THIS, absolutely, Piek!!! Need I say more?

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Achievements:
    31 days registered100 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Skin disorders are both horrible and humiliating. At first everyone's asking what's wrong with your skin, why does it look like crap, is it infectious. Then they start avoiding you. It feels like your whole body is trying to fight against you, trying to kill you via infections, your skin being your largest organ.

Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 615
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NatureCriminal7896 View Post
    anyway i'm closing this thread if i can because i was only asking a question for another person. i wasn't meant be something big. you are the people who things biggest than their are. when it not. love Michael but not his half his fans.
    I am not going to close or delete a thread that many people have contributed to, for no reason. This is a discussion forum. People are not always going to agree with you and threads will often take on a life of their own. That's something you need to accept when you start a thread.

Help Staff help you. Remember:

Read the Rules. Respect other members. Report offensive posts.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Anna For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 643 Posts

Seeing every celebrity (and person in general) constantly complain over anxiety, some I feel to just jump on the bandwagon in all honesty, I wonder how Michael would have been received if he spoke publicly about his vitiligo and lupus if he were alive today

I feel for him when I think about that, but I admire his courage massively because he always got back up no matter how hard the world came down on him

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SmoothCriminal1995 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,303 Times in 1,373 Posts

Default Re: Why Did Michael Cover Up His Vitiligo Instead of Letting it Be?

^excatly

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered
    Level
    Thanks

As someone who lives with a rare autoimmune disorder which greatly affects my appearance, to the degree where people stare whenever I'm out in public and are sometimes afraid to talk to me, I can totally understand why Michael went about it the way he did. If I had the money I would go out of my way to cover it up too because it makes me feel very uncomfortable and self conscious most of the time and I'd wish for nothing more to go back to the way things were before it emerged.

What it must have been like to be in his shoes I can only imagine. Being a black man, an entertainer where you rely on your appearance as it is a great part of your work, and also being the most famous person in the world, to lose part of your identity... it must have been horrifying. I think he also didn't recognize himself in the mirror at times.

It's easy to tell in the Oprah interview he feels unfomcortable to talk about it. It makes me want to reach out and hug him because I understand.
    I think it could have helped him though if he had spoken about it earlier in his career and more clearly before it became obvious something was going on and the press had a chance to twist it and run with it. Like he didn't want to be black. That's such an incredibly hurtful comment. (The way Oprah brings it up makes me cringe)
    On the other hand I can get why he didn't speak up earlier. Because it might have been brought up every time he had an interview and I think he would much rather have them talking about his work than any condition he had. Unfortunately it backfired.

The celebrities who have a medical condition and do stand up to be a face of that condition, to raise awareness, that's a choice. It's brave to do so, and it's just as brave to just live with it and pursue other goals in my opinion. Neither is easy.
    It's definitely a tough choice because once you make that choice to commit yourself to that cause it's going to be brought up a lot, if not all the time. Would you want that? And in Michael's case, given how the press treated him for most of his life, it could have been even worse. (though I wonder if that's even possible..)

I'm an artist myself (different field) and I rather have people talking about my art and other things that I do than what I have or how I look. If I would have been famous, I think that would still be the case. So, that's my point of view.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MoonwalkingKay For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 6
    Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Please don't take my thanking Elton-Cetera for the "vitiligo " youtube post the wrong way. It's just that i used to take a skin care college course and vitiligo is a real skin disease. I'm thankful that Elton -Cetera's post is educating more people about it. That's all. Thank you.

(i guess I need to be careful when i join deep discussions. I may send people a message that i don't mean to send.)
    Last edited by miss rose; 04-11-2019 at 12:18 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to miss rose For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Overall activity: 87.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered500 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MoonwalkingKay View Post
    As someone who lives with a rare autoimmune disorder which greatly affects my appearance, to the degree where people stare whenever I'm out in public and are sometimes afraid to talk to me, I can totally understand why Michael went about it the way he did. If I had the money I would go out of my way to cover it up too because it makes me feel very uncomfortable and self conscious most of the time and I'd wish for nothing more to go back to the way things were before it emerged.

What it must have been like to be in his shoes I can only imagine. Being a black man, an entertainer where you rely on your appearance as it is a great part of your work, and also being the most famous person in the world, to lose part of your identity... it must have been horrifying. I think he also didn't recognize himself in the mirror at times.

It's easy to tell in the Oprah interview he feels unfomcortable to talk about it. It makes me want to reach out and hug him because I understand.
    I think it could have helped him though if he had spoken about it earlier in his career and more clearly before it became obvious something was going on and the press had a chance to twist it and run with it. Like he didn't want to be black. That's such an incredibly hurtful comment. (The way Oprah brings it up makes me cringe)
    On the other hand I can get why he didn't speak up earlier. Because it might have been brought up every time he had an interview and I think he would much rather have them talking about his work than any condition he had. Unfortunately it backfired.

The celebrities who have a medical condition and do stand up to be a face of that condition, to raise awareness, that's a choice. It's brave to do so, and it's just as brave to just live with it and pursue other goals in my opinion. Neither is easy.
    It's definitely a tough choice because once you make that choice to commit yourself to that cause it's going to be brought up a lot, if not all the time. Would you want that? And in Michael's case, given how the press treated him for most of his life, it could have been even worse. (though I wonder if that's even possible..)

I'm an artist myself (different field) and I rather have people talking about my art and other things that I do than what I have or how I look. If I would have been famous, I think that would still be the case. So, that's my point of view.
    I totally agree with you.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DifferentKindOfLady For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 24
    Achievements:
    31 days registered100 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

^MoonwalkingKay
    Thank you.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vaniljapulla For This Useful Post: