Motown didn't mention Michael or the Jacksons for it's 60th Anniversary

NatureCriminal7896

Proud Member
Motown wouldn't be here without them. i didn't watch anyway because i really don't watch awards shows anymore anyway.

Yeah. but some fans felt that wasn't enough. i guess they wanted them to do something more then showing a few pictures.

Me too (pun intended), I feel let down by their decision not to mention him and his brothers. He was by far their biggest star!!

Yeah. but some fans felt that wasn't enough. i guess they wanted them to do something more then showing a few pictures.

you thought what they did was good enough, not even inviting his brothers they were there too it was called the jackson5, and stevie could sing his own songs. please it was a total snub job

Me too (pun intended), I feel let down by their decision not to mention him and his brothers. He was by far their biggest star!!

well you can't have the Jacksons without Michael. but you can totally can have Michael without the Jacksons. lol. but still though. you really can't. the Jackson 5 started it all.

Well after everything that has come out about these liars, Motown 60 looked stupid by not sticking by its biggest star that came from there due to lies.

Motown 60th probably is the last decade show of Motown where Berry Gordy and Diana Ross are on it. Leaving out Michael on this show is even more significative because of that because the next decade show will be less important.

They scr**d up big time!!

What do you mean they weren't mentioned? Ne-Yo sang I'll Be There and Jennifer Lopez had Dancing Machine & ABC in her medley. Jermaine's Let's Get Serious was also played during the program. A brief clip of the brothers performance from Motown 25 was shown too during a series of clips from various Motown specials.

I think it's also a bit far fetched to call the Jacksons / Michael "Motowns biggest star". I'm no Motown expert, but as far as I remember at the point when they LEFT Motown, there had only been a few hits with the early Jackson 5. So there's Diana Ross and all the others, that were bigger in their time at Motown.

Michael and to some degree his brothers only reached legend status long after that.

I don't think it's far fetched. Michael Jackson became the single biggest name in music, ever. He cut his teeth at Motown. They played a very significant hand in shaping the man and the artist. To not dedicate a section of the show to him (when presumably they did to Marvin, Diana, Stevie etc.), given he's the biggest star to come out the stable, is absurd.

Motown

I think it's also a bit far fetched to call the Jacksons / Michael "Motowns biggest star". I'm no Motown expert, but as far as I remember at the point when they LEFT Motown, there had only been a few hits with the early Jackson 5. So there's Diana Ross and all the others, that were bigger in their time at Motown.

Michael and to some degree his brothers only reached legend status long after that.
Motown started around 1959, so it doesn't make a lot of sense to say that the label wouldn't have existed without the Jackson 5 anyway. If the J5 had signed with another label instead of Motown, they might not have become a big thing. They might have been like The Sylvers or The Five Stairsteps other family groups not on Motown that didn't really get the same success. If the J5 had signed with a major, they probably wouldn't have gotten the same amount of promotion, since during that time they generally didn't spend the same amount of money on black artists or R&B. It's not an accident that most popular black performers were on independent labels like Motown, Stax, and early Atlantic. Labels that specialized in black music.

Last edited:
Motown 60th probably is the last decade show of Motown where Berry Gordy and Diana Ross are on it. Leaving out Michael on this show is even more significative because of that because the next decade show will be less important.

They scr**d up big time!!

Exactly.

What do you mean they weren't mentioned? Ne-Yo sang I'll Be There and Jennifer Lopez had Dancing Machine & ABC in her medley. Jermaine's Let's Get Serious was also played during the program. A brief clip of the brothers performance from Motown 25 was shown too during a series of clips from various Motown specials.

Oh really? then i don't know what people talking about then. they maybe wanted a bit more. i guess.

Last edited:
Oh really? then i don't know what people talking about then. they maybe wanted a bit more. i guess.
If those people did not watch the program, how can they comment on what did or did not happen? I watched it. Technically, the program was not made by Motown like Motown 25. It was a Grammy Awards production and filmed during the 2019 Grammys. They've done other tribute shows to The Beatles, Elton John, and other acts in the past.

you thought what they did was good enough, not even inviting his brothers they were there too it was called the jackson5, and stevie
could sing his own songs. please it was a total snub job

I didn't watch but i agree with the people who did and said it wasn't good enough. your right. they should of at least invite them or something. but then again it's CBS so....

It's more likely Motown/Universal will celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the J5 which will be in December 2019. Probably the remaining Bobby Taylor songs -recorded in summer of 1969- will make their way into stores.

PS: Perhaps Epic/Sony and/or TheEstate with the remaining TheJacksons will prepare something on their own, too.

They don't mention MJ and the Jackson Five but they're happy to still make money out of them.
This vinyl will be released in June 2019.

41pCVXe%2B3LL._SY400_.jpg

I didn't watch that special anyways, to me Motown is not the Motown I always love, they're now becoming pathetic, next they do another anniversary special and not having the Jacksons around pay tribute to Michael anymore I'm gonna boo em'. I have no respect for Motown anymore currently.

It's more likely Motown/Universal will celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the J5 which will be in December 2019. Probably the remaining Bobby Taylor songs -recorded in summer of 1969- will make their way into stores.

PS: Perhaps Epic/Sony and/or TheEstate with the remaining TheJacksons will prepare something on their own, too.

I hope so....

Re: Motown 60

I didn't watch that special anyways, to me Motown is not the Motown I always love, they're now becoming pathetic, next they do another anniversary special and not having the Jacksons around pay tribute to Michael anymore I'm gonna boo em'. I have no respect for Motown anymore currently.
The brothers have been touring outside of the USA for several years now. They probably weren't around when this was filmed at the Grammy Awards. That's probably why their songs were performed by Ne-Yo & Jennifer Lopez and Jermaine's song was played in the background of one of the skits. Other Motown acts like Gladys Knight, El DeBarge, Lionel Richie, Commodores, The Temptations, Boyz II Men, etc. weren't on the program either. The Temptations are still an active group although only Otis Williams is an original member and all of their most known singers are deceased. There weren't any songs past the mid-1980s on the show, so Boyz II Men wouldn't have fit anyway. They're a 1990s act.

Back