MJ's Vocal Transitions/Progression

Snowbunny Sorcerer

Proud Member
To this day, it still blows my mind how much MJ switched up is vocal style, range and character from one album to the next.

I was just recently listening to "That's What You Get (For Being Polite)", the final track from the Jackson's 1978 Destiny album.

I then had a listen to MJ 'a first adult solo record, Off The Wall, and the first track "Dont Stop Til' You Get Enough", and immediately you can hear such a drastic change in his vocal performance.

Now according to Wikipedia, the Destiny album was recorded between 1977-78 and released in December of '78 but there isn't any source on when each song was recorded.

Likewise, his Off The Wall album was recorded between 78' and June of '79 and release in August of that year. Again, no information on when exactly each song was recorded, but "Don't Stop" was release as the lead single three weeks before on the 28 of July.

The only thing I can assume maybe is that "That's What's You Get" was the first track recorded in 77' for the Destiny album and subsequently, sounds more youthful compared to the lead single "Dont Stop", which assuming again was the first track recorded for his solo album, sometime around late 78'.

But that would only then be a year different, which amazes me If true, because his vocals are so much more distinctively miles apart from each other on the two tracks.

Overall this is just speculative and not based on facts, but If anyone has any information of track recording dates or what they think of his vocal change in later albums, feel free to drop some knowledge.

Last edited:
Roughly half of the songs from the ‘Off The Wall’ album were recorded in a span of several months.

This means that there is no exact date for the recording of each of those songs.

That happened mainly due to comping.

Comping is a studio practice where for a given song its best vocal takes or instrument sounds that were recorded even on different months are eventually comped into one track that makes the song’s official version.

So, on a certain officially released MJ’s song, you can have for example his ad-libs from this month, his chorus from that month, or some of the verses from a third, different month.

This applied also to other songs from his subsequent studio albums.

Yeah I always love this about Mike as well, he always came fresh. I love how you can listen to Leave Me Alone on Bad and then listen to Jam on Dangerous and it sounds almost like a different guy but still knocks it out the park.

Such a brilliant and diverse singer, who to my mind was never given enough credit for his vocal ability. He was truly untouchable

Back