Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Were Michael and Prince friends?

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entry1000 Experience PointsTagger First Class31 days registered
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Question Were Michael and Prince friends?

Even though the two was both different and had their own things both of them was both talented awesome artists.

some fans think they had a rivalry because Prince turn down the BAD duet but i really don't see it that way. i just see two different people doing their own stuff. i think it would been nice if they did do some songs together.

Imagine Prince playing the guitar while Michael singing Dirty Diana or the one that everyone wanted the BAD duet.
    Last edited by NatureCriminal7896; 05-05-2019 at 07:04 PM.

a female with depression and mental delays

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Was Michael and Prince was friends?

They weren't BFFs, but there was a mutual love and respect between both men. They would visit with each other during studio sessions, a show here or there, and have private conversations. Mike would send James Brown and Sly Stone concert tapes to Prince and he would share them with his band. Prince never badmouthed MJ publicly during his struggles, and he wouldn't allow it within his circle, either. He was very hurt when MJ died, and knowing what we know now, Prince felt too close to MJ's situation to publicly speak on the circumstances surrounding his death.

Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 175
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

While it seems like Prince tended to speak well of MJ (though he was reportedly salty about being called out by MJ during that James Brown performance and thought MJ made him look bad), I can't help but feel like MJ badmouthed him to some extent, there's stories how he looked down in spite with Purple Rain and was quoted as saying things like "I don't like how Prince treats women" or "Prince is a meanie for playing the guitar to my face." I know some of this stems from tabloid reports, but it doesn't seem far-fetched at all.
    MJ, VITAS AND MORE in 1080p! YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/FrankyboyLegend
    Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/frankyboy5

Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,315 Times in 602 Posts

They respected each other that's for certain. I think they used the media to further their own careers, by going along with a rivalry that neither really commented on, which was genius.
    I'll always have respect for Prince as a person for not kicking Michael when he was down in the mid 2000's. When he said "everyone should just wait it out, maybe he knows something we don't. We've all got to come back home." Prince was also a genius and I love a lot of his music

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First ClassVeteranOverdrive50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,352 Times in 856 Posts

Someone from The Revolution (I think Wendy, it was years ago I read it) said that Mike was around during the filming of the Under The Cherry Moon movie and that Mike & Prince played ping pong. There's a rumor that Prince recorded his own version of Bad and that it's in his vault. That has never been confirmed though. There was a story that Prince visited Hayvenhurst during the early 1980s and that he tried to get LaToya to date him. There's also the story that Papa Joe did not like the idea of Janet working with the guys from The Time at first as he thought they would have her doing songs like Prince.

Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 7
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NatureCriminal7896 View Post
    some fans think they had a rivalry because Prince turn down the BAD duet but i really don't see it that way. i just see two different people doing their own stuff. i think it would been nice if they did do some songs together.
    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothCriminal1995 View Post
    They respected each other that's for certain. I think they used the media to further their own careers, by going along with a rivalry that neither really commented on, which was genius.
    Prince never really wanted to collaborate with MJ on a song.

Aside from Prince’s rejection of the ‘BAD’ song as a duet, Prince also emphatically turned down MJ’s proposal to participate on the ‘We Are The World’ charity song.

Also, if Prince really respected MJ, then one has to wonder why he made such a negative lyrical reference towards MJ.

I am talking about the negative, rather insulting, reference in his ‘Life 'O' The Party’ song (from his ‘Musicology’ album in 2004) aimed at MJ’s plastic nose surgeries.

It appears that Prince always felt envy of MJ’s big commercial success & fame.

Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 97
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,379 Times in 1,737 Posts

After all the stories I have heard and read, Yes! I i definitely believe they were friends. Even Prince said right before playing DSTYGE, "I'd Like to do this one for my friend". Sure they were not best friends, but prince has stuck up for MJ more then MJ's so called closest friends, especially during his darkest days.

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entry1000 Experience PointsTagger First Class31 days registered
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mj_frenzy View Post

Aside from Prince’s rejection of the ‘BAD’ song as a duet, Prince also emphatically turned down MJ’s proposal to participate on the ‘We Are The World’ charity song.

Also, if Prince really respected MJ, then one has to wonder why he made such a negative lyrical reference towards MJ.

I am talking about the negative, rather insulting, reference in his ‘Life 'O' The Party’ song (from his ‘Musicology’ album in 2004) aimed at MJ’s plastic nose surgeries.

I agree with Prince was jealous of Michael

a female with depression and mental delays

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Default Prince

Why would you say this since Prince often put out albums & singles that weren't really that commercial like Around The World & Lovesexy? A lot of stores in the USA wouldn't even stock Lovesexy because of the cover and some record stores put it behind the counter. Also some people at the time, especially guys, didn't want to be seen buying or owning a record with such a picture and also the same with Dirty Mind era bikini/stockings outfits. Same for singles like If I Was Your Girlfriend. The mid-1980s was the beginning of hip hop really taking over and the late 1980s was the start of more street oriented rap such as Geto Boys & Ice T and the idea of "keepin it real". You think the average person who was into street cred would buy an album with a naked dude on it? Hip hop got into R&B with New Jack Swing which started to make the old traditional suit and tie R&B singers such as Luther Vandross, Billy Ocean, & Freddie Jackson lose popularity. It also began to put out to pasture the androgynous look of the early to mid-1980s and Prince was that.

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 7
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 453 Posts

Do you mean, you think?
    Why are you that certain?

Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 7
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Prince

Quote Originally Posted by DuranDuran View Post
    Why would you say this since Prince often put out albums & singles that weren't really that commercial like Around The World & Lovesexy? A lot of stores in the USA wouldn't even stock Lovesexy because of the cover and some record stores put it behind the counter. Also some people at the time, especially guys, didn't want to be seen buying or owning a record with such a picture and also the same with Dirty Mind era bikini/stockings outfits. Same for singles like If I Was Your Girlfriend. The mid-1980s was the beginning of hip hop really taking over and the late 1980s was the start of more street oriented rap such as Geto Boys & Ice T and the idea of "keepin it real". You think the average person who was into street cred would buy an album with a naked dude on it? Hip hop got into R&B with New Jack Swing which started to make the old traditional suit and tie R&B singers such as Luther Vandross, Billy Ocean, & Freddie Jackson lose popularity. It also began to put out to pasture the androgynous look of the early to mid-1980s and Prince was that.
    Despite several of Prince’s releases (dispersed throughout his career) which might indicate that he did not want commercial success, in essence Prince always wanted commercial success.

Take his ‘Purple Rain’ project in 1984, for example.

Both the album & film showed Prince’s desires for achieving commercial success (especially considering the big budget invested on the ‘Purple Rain’ film).

Also, some of his very successful records (like ‘Diamonds and Pearls’, or ‘Sign o' the Times’, among others) clearly show that commercial success was always on his mind.

Additionally, when he signed the big deal with Warner Bros. Records in 1992, it was clear that he aimed again at commercial success.

We should not forget also that Prince almost always supported his albums with extensive touring on many venues, which also shows his desires for increasing his commercial success even more.

Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 97
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,379 Times in 1,737 Posts

I don't think that's true at all. If Prince never wanted to collaborate with MJ then he wouldn't even have attended the meeting at hayvenhurst to discuss it in the first place. Also prince sent "Would you like to love me" to MJ for him to record on and put on Bad, that is also a form of collaboration.

I personally think that Prince truly wanted to collaborate with MJ not just be featured on of his songs, like bad, cause that was set up for prince to lose the "Battle", no matter how you look at it and it would be a bad look for . Especially considering prince's ego at the time.

Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 70
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Level
    Thanks

I just can't see the two fitting together in a song. At least no vocal duet. Maybe Michael singing, Prince doing the music.

Btw, could someone please fix the grammar in the title of this thread? It hurts..
    Last edited by Electro; 05-05-2019 at 04:02 PM.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Prince

Despite several of Prince’s releases (dispersed throughout his career) which might indicate that he did not want commercial success, in essence Prince always wanted commercial success.

Take his ‘Purple Rain’ project in 1984, for example.

Both the album & film showed Prince’s desires for achieving commercial success (especially considering the big budget invested on the ‘Purple Rain’ film).

Also, some of his very successful records (like ‘Diamonds and Pearls’, or ‘Sign o' the Times’, among others) clearly show that commercial success was always on his mind.

Additionally, when he signed the big deal with Warner Bros. Records in 1992, it was clear that he aimed again at commercial success.

We should not forget also that Prince almost always supported his albums with extensive touring on many venues, which also shows his desires for increasing his commercial success even more.
    Right after Purple Rain, he released Around The World In A Day and refused to release a single or film videos for it until Warner Brothers insisted he do it. People around Prince said he would lose interest in a project very quickly and want to go on to the next thing. Warners turned down many of his projects because they said he would saturate the market and the albums would cancel each other out. Also I doubt a guy that was only interested in commercial success would change his name to a symbol which resulted in comedians and the media making jokes about him for years. Or putting out instrumental funk jazz albums as Madhouse. He might have gotten a hit if he made Kenny G style smooth jazz instead. Prince also made flop movies like Graffiti Bridge & Under The Cherry Moon. I'm not sure that a lot of people in the 1980s were interested in paying to see a black & white movie at the theater. The plot of Graffiti Bridge didn't make a lot of sense. A lot of Prince's music was too weird to become mainstream hits like a song about incest (Sister). Batman sold because anything involved with the 1989 Batman movie was popular. Other than Purple Rain and 1999/Diamonds And Pearls, most of Prince's other albums were not huge sellers, and he did not get consistent hit singles like a Whitney Houston or Phil Collins.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to DuranDuran For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

In the 70s, Prince wrote a song called "Wouldn't You Love to Love Me?" and he re-worked in in the mid 80s for Michael and the Bad album because he declined the offer to sing on Bad. Michael didn't end up using it (I'm not sure if he recorded it) so Prince gave the track to Taja Sevelle in the end. The demo that he sent to Michael is on the new album "Originals" which comes out in June.

Dan

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dan For This Useful Post: