Is the MJ Fanbase Shrinking?

Snowbunny Sorcerer

Proud Member
I wasnt listening to the MJ podcast on YouTube, and Charles Thompson was talking about Taj Jackson's GoFundMe only raising only 3 grand so far for his proposed counter documentary to Leaving Netherland.

He put the lack of funds down to the fan shrinkage, is this true?

I don't think it's shrinking. I've seen a bunch of new fans spring up since LN. But Michael's no longer here, so most fans just aren't actively involved in fandom anymore. It's inevitable when an artist dies or stops making music.

A lot of people won't open their wallet for something that isn't charity, even if they are a fan. And a lot of fans won't even be aware of Taj or what he's doing. But he's raised over $140,000 so far. That's a good amount.

I wasnt listening to the MJ podcast on YouTube, and Charles Thompson was talking about Taj Jackson's GoFundMe only raising only 3 grand so far for his proposed counter documentary to Leaving Netherland.

Could you give a link to this podcast? Was it on MJCast? If so, which episode?

I donated 3 times but I don't feel like donating any more money because it's unfair for Taj to depend solely on fans to raise almost 1 million dollars. Most of us fans live on modest incomes. Why hasn't he reached out to some of Michael's rich celebrity friends? How about Michael's family or the Estate which is worth almost 2 billion dollars? Why hasn't any of them dropped some serious money in the Gofundme intiative? The family and the Estate are the recipients of Michael's posthumous earnings so they have much more to lose than us fans.

It doesn't seem to be shrinking to me. i been seeing old and new fans coming out since the leaving neverland mockumentary came out. some fans not involved because they know it a bunch lies and just tired of it. we all know Michael is innocent. we really don't need to do all of this because it been said hundred times already. IT"S A FACT! so i don't know why they just leave Michael alone and let him rest. like Michael said they want him dead or alive and he was so right. most fans are playing his music and stuff to support him. i should point out i'm new here. i been a fan for almost 20 years while my mother have for almost 40. so we all here to support Michael. even if some fans are quiet.

Last edited:
I don't think you can equate the number of fans donating to Taj's documentary to the overall size of his fanbase. I don't think there's much of a connection there at all.

Heck, I'm a major MJ fan and I haven't even donated anything (but I plan too).

Some fans just don't have extra money like that to donate and some don't want too because they feel like Taj shouldn't be asking fans for money.

Also, I think only big fans of Michael who keep up with what's going on with the estate ,family,etc. Even know about this rebuttal documentary.

I don't think casual fans and those who don't keep up with social media even know about Taj's documentary.

seasun21;4256803 said:
I donated 3 times but I don't feel like donating any more money because it's unfair for Taj to depend solely on fans to raise almost 1 million dollars. Most of us fans live on modest incomes. Why hasn't he reached out to some of Michael's rich celebrity friends? How about Michael's family or the Estate which is worth almost 2 billion dollars? Why hasn't any of them dropped some serious money in the Gofundme intiative? The family and the Estate are the recipients of Michael's posthumous earnings so they have much more to lose than us fans.

Estate funding would discredit the film. The media and uninformed will write it off as propaganda. And this is in Taj's gofundme description:

FUNDING:

“Why should I donate? Can't so and so fund this?”

While trying to secure funding, I have looked into several alternative opportunities and scenarios. Unfortunately , any corporation and/or outlet with the available funding would, most probably, want creative and editorial input. The purpose of this project is to present a factual delivery of events from people that lived it and knew it - including me.

Unfortunately, experience have left me mistrustful of external influences and I know the majority of you feel the same. Michael Jackson's true history needs to be told without manipulation and restrictions. We need to be able to tell the story, free and clear, without biased media.

Personally I don't think the fanbase is shrinking as much as it's hard at the moment. The only thing to discuss seems to be that "documentary" and it is draining.
As for donating money to the counter doc, I have mixed feelings about this. I love and respect MJ as much as any other fan, but I work hard for what money I have and the thought of donating to fund that doc does rub me up the wrong way somewhat. We shouldn't have to fund Michael's family/Estate to defend his legacy

The absolute shitstorm of the past few months is hardly an appealing prospect for would be fans.

Indeed, we saw many fans on here turn. And at one point I very nearly walked away.

If Michael comes through this, and indications so far are that he has (although with a significantly damaged reputation), then he will continue to generate new fans for decades.

Then John Ziegler uploaded his video interview with Thomas Mesereau it had more than 100 000 views in less than a week. I think people are just afraid that Taj documentary will not be finnished.

The Michael Jackson Fandom is still growing after MJ has left us in the last years cause he was able to transform his spirt into his art and survived in it!
People can feel him when they listen to him!

People who are active in commentsections on YouTube under new MJvideo uploads and have read them in the last years knows that MJ had won new fans nearly every day!

Michael Jackson has the special power to reach and touch everyone very deep inside, inspire them intensly to be a better person and unite them.
He never lost his deep incredible impact on people and his magic after his passing.

His deep impact on millions of people all over the world and the fact that he could and want untite them is for me also one reason why he had this powerful enemys to face who tried to bring him down and telling people lies about him to make him lost this huge power and impact on people they fear .

In which world we would live today when there were never any allegations towards Michael, a huge overall support for him in the media and elswere and he could still be living is a interesting question for me.

The unique Michael Jackson is definitly someone who had the power and the impact to change the world and he would have done this in a great and beautiful way when they would have let him instead of fighting against him.

Last edited:
I don't think his fanbase is shrinking. Certainly if his streams and sales are any indication. I don't think you can use the donation made to Taj's GoFundMe. A lot of fans including myself haven't donated, because we simply aren't rich enough. That doesn't mean his fanbbase is shrinking. Of course MJ isn't around anymore. He isn't a current artist. He is a legacy artist. So with time, you would expect his fanbase to perhaps shrink a bit, as that would be quite normal.

Compared to the heyday of the 1980s and 1990s his fanbase simply isn't as large anymore. But I will say this, I still believe MJ's fans are among the most dedicated and loyal fanbase in the world.

I would say there are legit 1 million+ fans worldwide that continue to stick by him through thick and thin, and that would buy any album or song released. Within this group there are around 50-100k or so hardcore fans that dominate Twitter, social media, etc and that follow every move MJ's name makes. That's a huge army of hardcore fans. There is another group of tens of millions of casual fans, people who enjoy his music and such but would never log onto a fan club or give money for the cause. They simply admire Michael the artist, and if a MJ song comes on will listen.

Has MJ's fanbase declined? I don't believe so. Not in the past 20 years. After MJ's death his fanbase increased dramatically. Leaving Neverland may have scared a few mild fans away, but they will be back in time ;)

I won't be surprise if it is shrinking. Thanks to my depression my MJ fandom is still almost non existence. About 99.5% of it is just forever gone from me. It's been almost 2 years since I last listen to him. And watching him is still impossible for me to do. Because thanks to my depression I still suffer from panic/anxiety attacks. If I so much to do anything MJ related. Which is why I try to stay away from this site. Most especially this section as much as possible. But I can't tell you just how very, very badly I miss listening and watching him. As well as looking at my bedroom walls and doors and miss having my beloved MJ posters up on them. Most especially my framed gorgeous TWYMMF silk poster. As well as my most cherish MJ poster Who Is It. Now all of those posters are now in the basement collecting dust. As well as the rest of my MJ collection. And I used to freak out if I so much as one little speck of dust on any of them. Now it really doesn't matter to me anymore. It is not like I am ever going to touch them again. And the same goes for the rest of my once beloved MJ collection. I don't know maybe one day I will go back to being the hardcore MJ fan that I once was. I mean some of that fandom does remain for me. When I am at home my black MJ t-shirts is all that I ever wear. And my MJ necklaces never leaves my neck. And my computer desktop picture is still the same Stranger In Moscow picture that I have always used for years. I have no intentions of ever changing it. I just love that picture way too much to want to change it.

I won't be surprise if it is shrinking. Thanks to my depression my MJ fandom is still almost non existence. About 99.5% of it is just forever gone from me. It's been almost 2 years since I last listen to him. And watching him is still impossible for me to do. Because thanks to my depression I still suffer from panic/anxiety attacks. If I so much to do anything MJ related. Which is why I try to stay away from this site. Most especially this section as much as possible. But I can't tell you just how very, very badly I miss listening and watching him. As well as looking at my bedroom walls and doors and miss having my beloved MJ posters up on them. Most especially my framed gorgeous TWYMMF silk poster. As well as my most cherish MJ poster Who Is It. Now all of those posters are now in the basement collecting dust. As well as the rest of my MJ collection. And I used to freak out if I so much as one little speck of dust on any of them. Now it really doesn't matter to me anymore. It is not like I am ever going to touch them again. And the same goes for the rest of my once beloved MJ collection. I don't know maybe one day I will go back to being the hardcore MJ fan that I once was. I mean some of that fandom does remain for me. When I am at home my black MJ t-shirts is all that I ever wear. And my MJ necklaces never leaves my neck. And my computer desktop picture is still the same Stranger In Moscow picture that I have always used for years. I have no intentions of ever changing it. I just love that picture way too much to want to change it.

Gradually building exposure is the only way to beat the anxiety. Avoidance just feeds it.

I would to love to donate but i don't have any money. so what i'm doing is sharing it around and supporting Michael by playing his music online etc.

We all need a little help sometimes. but your right though. they really should be using their money to make this not us. but they human beings just like us so yeah they need money to live just like us. even though the family is wealthy. they still need money and stuff like the rest of us. so they using their money and sending ours to him is a sort of a great idea. as fans we helping him supporting Michael while sending money to make a doc that shows how great and how innocent he was.

Last edited:
The fanbase is shrinking. Michael has passed away. Been passed away for 10 years now. It's just natural for the fans to decrease. And a lot of us weren't even born when he was respected and famous beyond human conception in the 80s. I think It's innappropiate for Taj to ask for donations from normal people with average salaries. Most fans are tired of repeating facts 10k times.

Firstly, it has raised way more than $3000 - Charles Thompson was talking about the number of donators, not the number of dollars.

Secondly, he doesn't have a clue about the size of the fandom and it is completely erroneous to base his opinion about "shrinkage" on the number of contributors to a gofundme page.

Back