When did it become popular for fans to refer to themselves as ''Stans''?

analogue

Proud Member
Recently I've been noticing lots of people say ''We Stan (Insert name of famous person here)'' and I just want to know when did this happen? When these people say they Stan someone, they're clearly making reference to the Eminem song, but that song was about an obsessed fan who ended up killing himself, and his pregnant girlfriend. I don't see how calling yourself a ''Stan'' is a positive thing.

Last edited:
Recently I've been noticing lots of people say ''We Stan (Insert name of famous person here)'' and I just want to know when did this happen? When these people say they Stan someone, they're clearly making reference to the Eminem song, but that song was about an obsessed fan who ended up killing himself, and his pregnant girlfriend. I don't see how calling yourself a ''Stan'' is a positive thing.

It's not positive at all, in my opinion. I have always seen being called a "stan" as an insult, to be honest, as it seems to be associated with a unhealthy obsession, or with being fanatical and delusional. I would never refer to myself as a stan, nor would I say that I "stan for someone". I think that the term is a relatively new one and has seeped its way through all of social media by stealth. "Superfans", or people who are perhaps passionate and highly invested, are perceived by some as being synonymous with "stans" now, which is actually incorrect and annoying.

It's not positive at all, in my opinion. I have always seen being called a "stan" as an insult, to be honest, as it seems to be associated with a unhealthy obsession, or with being fanatical and delusional. I would never refer to myself as a stan, nor would I say that I "stan for someone". I think that the term is a relatively new one and has seeped its way through all of social media by stealth. "Superfans", or people who are perhaps passionate and highly invested, are perceived by some as being synonymous with "stans" now, which is actually incorrect and annoying.

I agree, I that "stan" thing more likely an insult, I was called like that once and that agitates me. That word too should be banned.

Hummmm...I believe it used to be negative but with time passing the negative connotation has lost it's weight and has been replaced by a lighter , funnier neutral connotation . Gossip Websites like Lipstick Alley have made it more acceptable for people to be called stans . I have no probleme with being called a stan . When you see the time , energy and passion and emotions we spend on Michael (or any other artist ) , it's not far fecthed to be called stans .

Back