It finally makes sense!!

Themidwestcowboy

Proud Member
I have always been confused about something that MJ said in Private Home Videos

In PHM Michael talks about how Janet saw what he was doing in Captain EO and asked if she could borrow the military stuff. That's cool but then he said she used it for Rhythm Nation. The timeline never seemed to add up to me and imo the choreography for Rhythm Nation looks nothing like Captain EO. Then I remember Janets music video for The Pleasure Principle!

Guys this music video for Janets song The Pleasure Principle from her Control album is the captain EO routine and dance moves through and through. I sincerely believe MJ got the videos mixed up. That would mean that she saw Captain EO in 86 and then applied it to her video one year later in 87. Makes much more sense than her using it in Rhythm Nation.

What do You Think?

Pleasure Principle

Captain EO starts at 5:13

Last edited:
You know what I think you're right, I've always wondered this too. Whenever I see Rhythm Nation I think of that comment by Mike and I cant see it, other than synchronised movements but even then it's a stretch. Maybe he just got mixed up
In the Pleasure Principle, some of Janet's moves look taken straight out of Captain Eo
I love that song and video by the way. I always think, Janet went from cute, to hot, to sexy. She's always been amazing

I guess Jenet covered other moves from MJ for Rythm Nation.
I saw it in a YouTube video but I don't know anymore from which choegraphy it was.
Maybe Thriller?

Last edited:
I think Michael was more inspired by Janet than the other way around. So much of the HIStory era stuff was inspired by Rhythm Nation.
And he worked with Jimmy and Terry for HIStory and led the project with Scream which was a Jimmy and Terry track.

That Pleasure Principle move beginning at 3:20 looks awfully familiar. Which came first, TWYMMF or Janet's video?

wednesday;4257340 said:
That Pleasure Principle move beginning at 3:20 looks awfully familiar. Which came first, TWYMMF or Janet's video?
Janet’s video was out first but only by a few months. TPP video came out June ‘87 and TWYMMF was October of the same year.

Michael was right that Jenet uses dancemoves from captain eo

The section he ment starts in this video 9:18 and looks ideed miltary:

He improoved it and used it later for performances on the History tour.

You know what I think you're right, I've always wondered this too. Whenever I see Rhythm Nation I think of that comment by Mike and I cant see it, other than synchronised movements but even then it's a stretch. Maybe he just got mixed up
In the Pleasure Principle, some of Janet's moves look taken straight out of Captain Eo
I love that song and video by the way. I always think, Janet went from cute, to hot, to sexy. She's always been amazing

Yeah I agree! I definitely see EO in Pleasure Principle. Janet has always been on of my all time favorites. I love her debut album, it is so funky!

Back