Panther Dance

WannaScream

Proud Member
I hope it's OK to make a thread just on a 4 minute dance but I feel it's quite a special one and maybe his most fascinating and creative.

There is an interesting article published in the Journal of Popular Music Studies that discusses the dance and the reaction/misunderstanding. It's a long read but worth it if anyone hasn't done so yet.

"Michael Jackson’s Panther Dance: Double Consciousness and the Uncanny Business of Performing While Black" by Elizabeth Chin.

https://www.academia.edu/2462183/Mi...he_Uncanny_Business_of_Performing_While_Black

Like Dunham’s fantasy ballet,the panther dance rejected the demands of white audiences for “Black entertainment” and instead offered a statement about Black identity. No jungle wiggles, no titillating jiggles. Jackson’s panther dance is a taking off of the mask, a revelation of the abiding rage and anger that whites both fear and suppress: a truth that cannot be morphed into something palatable either in dreams or in reality.

It would be great to hear other people views on the dance and their favourite bits.

I think my favourite is the opening section which seems to be representing police brutality. Once the spotlight finds him and he reaches for something he is immediately hit by gunfire and his head drops.. what a brilliant idea to fit this into such a small sequence. He can perform the bullets because his hands move so fast!

I will never ever watch Black or White the same way ever again. Genius! Thanks for posting this!

MJ originally wanted the black panther morphing & dance to be performed by his sister Janet for one of her videos.

The reason was that she reminded him of a black panther, so he thought that she should do such a thing, as he revealed in 1999.

Although Janet at first liked MJ’s idea, she eventually decided not to do such a thing.

It was right after her rejection of his idea when MJ decided to do that for one of his own videos.

The ‘Black Or White’ music video looked like a perfect opportunity because it was also a way for him to convey in an emphatic way political/social messages (about racism, bigotry, etc) through that panther dance.

The whole BoW video is full of hidden references. There was a detailed article about this a while ago. (Does anyone have the link?)
Really enlightening.

MJ originally wanted the black panther morphing & dance to be performed by his sister Janet for one of her videos.

The reason was that she reminded him of a black panther, so he thought that she should do such a thing, as he revealed in 1999.

Where did he say this?

I guess Michael was censored twice in his career. First, when he had to put racial graffiti on the car he smashes in Black or White. Second, when he was forced to change the lyrics in his song They Don't Care About Us.

Here is the uncensored version of BLACK OR WHITE:

Manu just published a new thread: 73 tweets about the Panther Dance. Grab a cup of tea and enjoy. :)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Story and the Meaning Behind Michael Jackson&#8217;s Panther Dance [THREAD] <a href="https://t.co/45kComD9u0">pic.twitter.com/45kComD9u0</a></p>&mdash; Manu Bezamat (@manuelabezamat) <a href="https://twitter.com/manuelabezamat/status/1259124561808850944?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 9, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Complete thread on Thread Reader: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1259124561808850944.html

ScreenOrigami;4289529 said:
Manu just published a new thread: 73 tweets about the Panther Dance. Grab a cup of tea and enjoy. :)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Story and the Meaning Behind Michael Jackson&#8217;s Panther Dance [THREAD] <a href="https://t.co/45kComD9u0">pic.twitter.com/45kComD9u0</a></p>&#8212; Manu Bezamat (@manuelabezamat) <a href="https://twitter.com/manuelabezamat/status/1259124561808850944?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 9, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Complete thread on Thread Reader: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1259124561808850944.html

That's a giant billboard worthy picture imo

ScreenOrigami;4289529 said:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Story and the Meaning Behind Michael Jackson’s Panther Dance [THREAD] <a href="https://t.co/45kComD9u0">pic.twitter.com/45kComD9u0</a></p>— Manu Bezamat (@manuelabezamat) <a href="https://twitter.com/manuelabezamat/status/1259124561808850944?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 9, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Thanks, I love her insights, this was excellent too.

Lol @ the critics. They are so dull and predictable.

I wanna see that extended footage
a4f5b891a8a63fe4dfda1c666b2a3bf1.jpg

I hope it's OK to make a thread just on a 4 minute dance but I feel it's quite a special one and maybe his most fascinating and creative.

There is an interesting article published in the Journal of Popular Music Studies that discusses the dance and the reaction/misunderstanding. It's a long read but worth it if anyone hasn't done so yet.

"Michael Jackson’s Panther Dance: Double Consciousness and the Uncanny Business of Performing While Black" by Elizabeth Chin.

https://www.academia.edu/2462183/Mi...he_Uncanny_Business_of_Performing_While_Black

It would be great to hear other people views on the dance and their favourite bits.

I think my favourite is the opening section which seems to be representing police brutality. Once the spotlight finds him and he reaches for something he is immediately hit by gunfire and his head drops.. what a brilliant idea to fit this into such a small sequence. He can perform the bullets because his hands move so fast!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Story and the Meaning Behind Michael Jackson&#8217;s Panther Dance [THREAD] <a href="https://t.co/45kComD9u0">pic.twitter.com/45kComD9u0</a></p>&mdash; Manu Bezamat (@manuelabezamat) <a href=" ">May 9, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I get so sick of people not taking Michael's work seriously. Then I come onto the board and find hidden treasure like this. And it restores some much needed balance.

Two links here to two awesome articles on the Black Panther dance.

The first one in Wanna Scream's post upthread is quite long but really thoughtful and interesting. Very serious, really well-written, puts Michael's work into context in a way I don't often see. Elizabeth Chin is keen to place Michael's work in a context which includes the work of African American artists from the 'golden' era of Hollywood.

The second piece, linked in Screen Origami's post upthread and written in 2020, places the Black Panther dance in the more obviously contemporary context of Rodney King, the LA riots, the Black Panthers and Marvel Comics creating the Black Panther comic.

I think these two pieces are well worth reading especially if you enjoy Michael's work, and especially his dancing, as more than just entertainment.

@DangerousGal91

Just re-reading this. Thought I'd bump it again in case you're interested or haven't seen it already.

There's 2 Panther threads, both really short. The other one can be found here:

but this one here is the one I usually revisit bc I love these articles about the piece.

@DangerousGal91

Just re-reading this. Thought I'd bump it again in case you're interested or haven't seen it already.

There's 2 Panther threads, both really short. The other one can be found here:

but this one here is the one I usually revisit bc I love these articles about the piece.
Thank you for pinging me! 😁

I stand by what I said about this being my favorite bit of choreography Michael has ever done. The symbolism, the sexual energy (hey, I'm a woman of taste!), the fact that there was no music playing whatsoever yet still kicked all kinds of ass... Not many artists are able to do that, but hey, there's a reason Michael will always be the King.

And I also definitely agree with the assertion that it was considered "too much" for the white establishment. They love to pretend to be tolerant towards other races and use them for clout in the process, but as soon as those people dare to "not walk in line" they get scrutinized. This happened with MTV in the '80s, and would later happen a 3rd time with They Don't Care About Us (that title is very apt with my point, not-so-coincidentally enough). The white mainstream media and establishment are afraid of especially black men, I don't think that has changed one bit since then either. It has been like this ever since Jim Crow in the Southern USA and this accompanying paranoia about "black men stealing 'our' white women", as if that's such a big crime against God and humanity or whatever. And given how popular Michael was (and still is, obviously!) among women of all races... Yeah, the vultures didn't like that one bit, and I'm fairly certain they still don't. Almost makes me believe they were trying to push this whole "homosexual pedophile" thing on purpose, taking advantage of the situation in order to create a false narrative and deter those women away from him. But lol, that didn't exactly work, now did it?

TL;DR My love for this whole scene goes very deep and I could write my very own multi-page essay about it if I wanted to, but I'll spare everyone's eyes for now, lol.

@zinniabooklover, it has been said that Michael Jackson drew inspiration for his Panther Video from certain films.

One can see the similarities with the dance segment of the 'Singin' In The Rain' 1952 film (played by American actor Gene Kelly).

Or, the trash bin that Michael Jackson throws into a shop window which apparently comes from Spike Lee's 'Do The Right Thing' 1989 film (the scene with the trash bin that a guy throwns into a shop window).

@wednesday, Michael Jackson was also censored in his 'Scream' song for the "Stop f-cking with me" lyric (in certain releases of that song and also in certain releases of that music video).

'Singin' In The Rain' 1952 film:

'Do The Right Thing' 1989 film:

@zinniabooklover, it has been said that Michael Jackson drew inspiration for his Panther Video from certain films.

One can see the similarities with the dance segment of the 'Singin' In The Rain' 1952 film (played by American actor Gene Kelly).

Or, the trash bin that Michael Jackson throws into a shop window which apparently comes from Spike Lee's 'Do The Right Thing' 1989 film (the scene with the trash bin that a guy throwns into a shop window).
Yes, this is all well known, lol.

Thank you for pinging me! 😁

I stand by what I said about this being my favorite bit of choreography Michael has ever done.
That's so interesting. I don't have one specific fave but my top faves are SC, Beat It, Thriller and Bad. Actually, BOTDF (8 min version) as well. And in all of them he's surrounded by other dancers - which I love. You've chosen one where he's by himself.

the fact that there was no music playing whatsoever yet still kicked all kinds of ass
Afaik, this doesn't usually get mentioned, the fact that he's performing with sound effects only, no music. I've seen a few ballet or contemporary dance pieces performed in silence and / or to sound effects but nothing that I can think of in pop culture. You'd think people would make more of that. 🤔

And I also definitely agree with the assertion that it was considered "too much" for the white establishment. They love to pretend to be tolerant towards other races and use them for clout in the process, but as soon as those people dare to "not walk in line" they get scrutinized. This happened with MTV in the '80s, and would later happen a 3rd time with They Don't Care About Us (that title is very apt with my point, not-so-coincidentally enough). The white mainstream media and establishment are afraid of especially black men, I don't think that has changed one bit since then either. It has been like this ever since Jim Crow in the Southern USA and this accompanying paranoia about "black men stealing 'our' white women",
It was ever thus.

Last edited:
That's so interesting. I don't have one specific fave but my top faves are SC, Beat It, Thriller and Bad. Actually, BOTDF (8 min version) as well. And in all of them he's surrounded by other dancers - which I love. You've chosen one where he's by himself.
I hadn't even realized that, but I guess you're right! I certainly do not mind other dancers surrounding him, but Michael always comes first in my mind I guess. We all watch the short films and performances for Michael first and foremost (I mean, that's why we're here! Lol) but I guess I do have a subconscious affinity for moments where he's either all by himself, or when the focus is very specifically on him alone. Part of it is I guess because I just love the way he moves (not even just when he's dancing, even his general body language fascinates me) but also, I mean... just look at the man, hehe. 🥰 :love:
Afaik, this doesn't usually get mentioned, the fact that he's performing with sound effects only, no music. I've seen a few ballet or contemporary dance pieces performed in silence and / or to sound effects but nothing that I can think of in pop culture. You'd think people would make more of that. 🤔
IMO, people should bring it up more! The fact that there's no music playing whatsoever during this segment just outright fascinates me. The focus is on Michael, and Michael alone. He's the only person in view (and what a view! :love: ), the only one making a sound. I guess this kinda adds to the above point, but in my opinion it makes the whole thing more powerful and poignant.
It was ever thus.
😔 Alas...

I hadn't even realized that, but I guess you're right!
You picking an example where Michael is performing alone only jumped out at me bc I prefer the exact opposite. It's endlessly interesting to me all the different reactions we all have.

I certainly do not mind other dancers surrounding him, but Michael always comes first in my mind I guess. We all watch the short films and performances for Michael first and foremost
It def is all about Michael first and foremost. Even in J5 days it was all about him.

but I guess I do have a subconscious affinity for moments where he's either all by himself, or when the focus is very specifically on him alone.
And I love those moments. But I def have an affinity for the footage where he's surrounded by his band or the dancers - or even his brothers if I'm watching Triumph or whatever. It's interesting to me bc I don't like footage of Michael surrounded by fans, his car being chased etc. Really don't like that stuff. I have posted quite a few videos of that type of stuff for @staywild23 and @filmandmusic. And those videos are fascinating to watch, no question. It's also endlessly fascinating how confidently his fans talk about his beauty and his sexual appeal, even at the time when the MSM was massively questioning whether he even had any sex appeal at all. His fans are so upfront about it which is great to see. But still, those videos, once I've watched them once or twice I never have much interest in revisiting them.

I don't watch DWT or HWT and one of the reasons is bc there is so much footage of him alone, on a huge stage. It's just not for me. BWT (especially 1987) where he is almost constantly with his dancers is much more interesting and pleasing to me. I think it's part of why I love the Destiny / Triumph stuff so much. For all the hideous family dynamics, those brothers really knew how to perform together. No surprise, given how many years they were doing it, but I still love the chemistry between them.

Part of it is I guess because I just love the way he moves (not even just when he's dancing, even his general body language fascinates me)
Tell me about it. I've said it before but one of my fave TII moments is when he's rehearsing Thriller / Threatened and he moves his right elbow outwards and back in again. I adore that moment. I was just getting excited, all over again, the other day over the bit in the Thriller video where he gets up to leave the cinema. Just the way he angles his body out of the row of seats - omg!!

Everything about his physicality is awesome.

IMO, people should bring it up more! The fact that there's no music playing whatsoever during this segment just outright fascinates me. The focus is on Michael, and Michael alone. He's the only person in view ... the only one making a sound. I guess this kinda adds to the above point, but in my opinion it makes the whole thing more powerful and poignant.
It definitely deserves more attention, him performing this dance with no music and all alone. I'm not saying he should have had other people in that segment. It would have lost a lot of its strength and impact. As you say, a lot of the poignancy lies in him being all alone. And Michael has a LOT to say here. There is so much going on in this segment. So let's not dilute it with other people being in the frame. But his solitary performance and most especially the lack of music - in a MUSIC video - it's worth noting, it's worth discussing for sure, imo. So many layers ...

There's also the whole 'black panther' thing. IRL a black panther is a leopard (or a jaguar) and they have the same spots as a leopard but the black fur overlays it and you can't see the spots in normal circumstances. I don't wanna get too carried away with the symbolism here and I'm certainly not putting thoughts into Michael's head. He's the creative genius, not me, lol. I think the black panther thing had far more to do with a) the political symbolism and b) the lithe power and grace of the animal itself. But, ngl, I have many thoughts about this.

Also, I am so glad Janet didn't go for the panther idea (or did she? for a later project? Black Cat? I have no idea, she doesn't interest me, lol). Anyway, I am stoked that Michael got to use his idea. Also, I love Michael to bits but I have to disagree with him here. I can't see the panther likeness in Janet. AT ALL. A panther is lithe, supple and sinuous. There is a fierce, coiled energy just waiting to be unleashed. I see nothing of that in Janet. Whereas Michael ...

Indeed. 😢

Back