Why did MJ decide to perform Dangerous on American Bandstand in 2002.

analogue

Proud Member
Out of all the songs he could have done, this seems like a strange choice. Especially since Invincible was released just the year before. You'd think he'd perform something from that (Probably You Rock My World) to help promote the album. Or he would have performed a more well known song like Billie Jean or The Way You Make Me Feel.

But I do wish he would have done more one off TV performances like this. This way he could have gotten to perform songs that he wouldn't have got the chance to perform in concert like Who Is It and Give Into Me.

I think it’s because he felt really comfortable with that routine and compared to all of his performances probably offered the most spectacle.

I think by the point he had completely given up on Invincible due to all the issues with Sony. That's why no song from Invincible was performed.

As for why he did Dangerous, it's because Dangerous was one of his most performed song in the latter part of his career. Since debuting at the AMA 1993, Dangerous was performed at every concert that he did in the 90s. It was also part of almost every award/TV show performance during the 90s. Dangerous was his signature live song of the 90s, and it truly showcased Michael's dancing ability, so that's probably why he performed Dangerous during the American Bandstand. I'm glad that the final performance of Michael's career was of Dangerous.

Id rather him did something from otw or something from bad....i understand what is quoted above but honestly i just dont think he was prepared & just did something easy. These are the questions martin Bashir was supposed to be asking....i wouldve been all in his musical business! "So Michael....what really happened behind the scenes of the victory tour. Why werent u on the torture video? Why did u end the tour so abruptly? Aw yeah....i definitely wouldve been asking pleanty of things like the millennium shows & etc....1night only. But he rather ask questions about his face & adolescences

I don't like any performance of Dangerous, they're always the same stuff, but I understand that it is a choreography.
I'd rather to see a performance without a choreography.

I don't like any performance of Dangerous, they're always the same stuff, but I understand that it is a choreography.
I'd rather to see a performance without a choreography.

To be honest the 1999 version was extremely different then the other ones

I can't remember exactly now, but I'm sure there was some licensing dispute with Sony over Invincible. It was part of the ongoing public fallout with them but I think MJ wasn't allowed to preform any of the songs from the album live (at that time). I also read, he chose not to because at this time, he didn't want to even acknowledge the album's existence. Depends on what side you believe. Might have been in that Mike Smallcombe book, Making Michael I think.

As for why he chose Dangerous, he had a few go to songs (depending on the venue and occasion), Heal The World, Black Or White and Dangerous.
I think this was for a number of reasons but mainly he knew the songs inside out, he wrote them and he could lip sync to them. As for why Dangerous specifically, he worked on that choreography for so long it was a part of him, he could do it in his sleep. You can see the time and effort that went into that choreography, during the Dangerous Tour rehearsal tapes 1993 and during what we can see in the Travis Payne footage of the 1995 rehearsal. He loved that choreography and he was always trying to perfect it, which I've always found fascinating to see as I believe the 1995 MTV performance was a close to perfect as I've ever seen.

For me, I would have loved to have seen him perform Whatever Happens, that song is magical, in my opinion one of the best cuts off Invincible.
Although a lot like everything else on that album I feel it was missing more visual memories with Mike. Like when I hear Smooth Criminal, I think of the short film, the suit, the lean and so on. I don't have that feeling with almost all of Invincible, which is a real shame.

Great question by the way, it's always made me wonder too

Back