Thread: Why did MJ decide to perform Dangerous on American Bandstand in 2002.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,232 Times in 2,563 Posts

Default Why did MJ decide to perform Dangerous on American Bandstand in 2002.

Out of all the songs he could have done, this seems like a strange choice. Especially since Invincible was released just the year before. You'd think he'd perform something from that (Probably You Rock My World) to help promote the album. Or he would have performed a more well known song like Billie Jean or The Way You Make Me Feel.

But I do wish he would have done more one off TV performances like this. This way he could have gotten to perform songs that he wouldn't have got the chance to perform in concert like Who Is It and Give Into Me.

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Why did MJ decide to perform Dangerous on American Bandstand in 2002.

I think it’s because he felt really comfortable with that routine and compared to all of his performances probably offered the most spectacle.

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registeredOverdrive

Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Why did MJ decide to perform Dangerous on American Bandstand in 2002.

I think by the point he had completely given up on Invincible due to all the issues with Sony. That's why no song from Invincible was performed.

As for why he did Dangerous, it's because Dangerous was one of his most performed song in the latter part of his career. Since debuting at the AMA 1993, Dangerous was performed at every concert that he did in the 90s. It was also part of almost every award/TV show performance during the 90s. Dangerous was his signature live song of the 90s, and it truly showcased Michael's dancing ability, so that's probably why he performed Dangerous during the American Bandstand. I'm glad that the final performance of Michael's career was of Dangerous.

Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks

Id rather him did something from otw or something from bad....i understand what is quoted above but honestly i just dont think he was prepared & just did something easy. These are the questions martin Bashir was supposed to be asking....i wouldve been all in his musical business! "So Michael....what really happened behind the scenes of the victory tour. Why werent u on the torture video? Why did u end the tour so abruptly? Aw yeah....i definitely wouldve been asking pleanty of things like the millennium shows & etc....1night only. But he rather ask questions about his face & adolescences

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsCreated Blog entryVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I don't like any performance of Dangerous, they're always the same stuff, but I understand that it is a choreography.
    I'd rather to see a performance without a choreography.

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson Rules View Post
    I don't like any performance of Dangerous, they're always the same stuff, but I understand that it is a choreography.
    I'd rather to see a performance without a choreography.
    To be honest the 1999 version was extremely different then the other ones
    La la dee
    la la dee dah dah
    la la dah
    la la dah
    la la dah
    la...

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 338
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,323 Times in 606 Posts

I can't remember exactly now, but I'm sure there was some licensing dispute with Sony over Invincible. It was part of the ongoing public fallout with them but I think MJ wasn't allowed to preform any of the songs from the album live (at that time). I also read, he chose not to because at this time, he didn't want to even acknowledge the album's existence. Depends on what side you believe. Might have been in that Mike Smallcombe book, Making Michael I think.

As for why he chose Dangerous, he had a few go to songs (depending on the venue and occasion), Heal The World, Black Or White and Dangerous.
    I think this was for a number of reasons but mainly he knew the songs inside out, he wrote them and he could lip sync to them. As for why Dangerous specifically, he worked on that choreography for so long it was a part of him, he could do it in his sleep. You can see the time and effort that went into that choreography, during the Dangerous Tour rehearsal tapes 1993 and during what we can see in the Travis Payne footage of the 1995 rehearsal. He loved that choreography and he was always trying to perfect it, which I've always found fascinating to see as I believe the 1995 MTV performance was a close to perfect as I've ever seen.

For me, I would have loved to have seen him perform Whatever Happens, that song is magical, in my opinion one of the best cuts off Invincible.
    Although a lot like everything else on that album I feel it was missing more visual memories with Mike. Like when I hear Smooth Criminal, I think of the short film, the suit, the lean and so on. I don't have that feeling with almost all of Invincible, which is a real shame.

Great question by the way, it's always made me wonder too

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SmoothCriminal1995 For This Useful Post: