Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Michael in the Media - Thread for Miscellaneous Articles

Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 774
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,299 Times in 970 Posts

Default Michael Jackson admits 'ANGER' over his first ever moonwalk performance

MICHAEL JACKSON is so well known for a number of aspects of his career, but perhaps the biggest act that makes him stand out from the crowd was his iconic 1983 moonwalk - but Jackson himself said he was "angry" and "disappointed" by his performance.

Michael Jackson fans will no doubt have a favourite moment from the King of Pop's career over the decades. While a number of his albums and songs have become iconic, perhaps the biggest act which landed him the most fame and popularity was the 1983 moonwalk.

Performing to his new hit single Billie Jean, Jackson performed a dance routine which concluded with the exceptional moonwalk move.

Performing at the Motown awards, Jackson laid down the foundations of some of his best moves ever, live on stage

However, unfortunately for the star, he wasn't entirely happy with his performance.

In fact, he later explained how he was "angry" and "disappointed" with it.

In an interview with Good Morning America just months before his death, Jackson explained how the performance left him feeling.

"I don't think I'm ever pleased with my performances, either," he confessed.

"And after [the first moonwalk] performance I wasn't happy either."

He even detailed exactly what he wanted to change during the performance - but simply couldn't pull it off.

Jackson said: "I wanted to do the five spins, and land on the toes and freeze there. And hold it, stay there.

"And I didn't. I was angry about that, actually. Really disappointed."

Thankfully, his spirits were lifted the following day when he heard from esteemed singer and dancer Fred Astaire.

"I didn't realise I really did well until the next day," he went on. "When fred Astaire called my house.

"He was raving: 'I can't believe it. you're an incredible mover!'

"I thought: 'Oh my god, maybe I did well!"

Unfortunately, according to Jacksons official biographer, Ian Halperin, Jackson was not in the best of health just before his death.

Speaking to The Sun in 2008 just before his death, he explained Jackson's health had become "critical".

He regaled the publication: "He needs a lung transplant, but may be too weak to go through with it.

"He also has emphysema and chronic gastrointestinal bleeding, which his doctors have had a lot of trouble stopping."

In a shocking final comment, the biographer added: "It’s the bleeding that’s the most problematic part. It could kill him."

Within the following year, Jackson would fall ill and eventually die of cardiac arrest.

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainm...onwalk-perform

a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger First ClassOverdrive10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Default Michael Jackson INTERRUPTED his tour to spend time with sick children

MICHAEL JACKSON fans know all about the incredible humanitarian work the King of Pop did over the years with children, and with sick people. Now, the star's philanthropy in 1993 is being remember when he visited Tel Aviv on tour.

Michael Jackson brought a lot of joy to a lot of people. Whether it was through his incredibly memorable and exciting music, or simply through his almost alien way of consuming an entire live audience with his unique way of performing, he managed to keep people happy, entertained, and thrilled.

Over the years Jackson brought a lot of joy to children as well.

Not only did he produce gifts and arrange events for kids, he also visited sick kids' hospitals.

27 years ago saw the King of Pop on tour promoting his latest works, Dangerous.

Dangerous was the eighth studio album from Jackson, and went down in history as one of his most popular.

At the time, in 1993, Jackson embarked on an incredible tour, titled the Dangerous World Tour.

It has now been recalled that, during his tour he would take days off from performing live each night to spend his free time cheering up children with cancer.

Remembering this touching sentiment, the official Michael Jackson Twitter account posted all the details.

The post showed off a photo of Jackson with a child in one of his Dangerous outfits.

The tweet itself read: "In September of 1993, Michael Jackson visited Tel Aviv during the Israeli leg of his Dangerous World Tour.

"During a day of rest between two scheduled concerts, Michael spent his time cheering up cancer and transplant patients at nearby children’s hospitals."

Of course, this simply shows off just how dedicated Jackson was to helping and cheering up those who were in need.

So then, it was even more distressing for the King of Pop when he was targeted in 2005 by Eminem.

The rapper's music video for Just Lose It featured a parody of Jackson.

Specifically, it included some joking about a number of allegations made about Jackson involving child abuse.

Speaking in 2005, Jackson hit back at Eminem, calling his actions "painful".

"I've never met Mr. Eminem," he told Geraldo Rivera. "And to have - I've always admired him - and to have him do something like that has been pretty painful."

He continued by adding: "From an artist to another artist, I think what Stevie Wonder said was true.

"I don't want to say too much more than that. [Eminem] should be ashamed of himself. It was wrong of him to do it.

"I've been an artist most of my life and I've never attacked a fellow artist.

"Great artists don't do that they don't have to do that."

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainm...angerous-album

a female with major depression,generalized anxiety,behavioral and emotional disorder,ocd mild retardation, and learning disability. i'm not contagious but my smile is.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Unhappy Jon Myron Clark Passed Away

Guitarist, producer and songwriter Jon Myron Clark has passed away.

Fans might remember him from the BAD World Tour and Dirty Diana’s short film, Jon kept Michael at heart as he toured with Cirque du Soleil for “Immortal”. He was a very talented guitarist.

We currently do not have any information on the circumstances of his passing but he will be missed greatly.

Rest in Peace.

MJVIBE

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Default Re: Jon Myron Clark Passed Away

Quote Originally Posted by NatureCriminal7896 View Post
    Guitarist, producer and songwriter Jon Myron Clark has passed away.

Fans might remember him from the BAD World Tour and Dirty Diana’s short film, Jon kept Michael at heart as he toured with Cirque du Soleil for “Immortal”. He was a very talented guitarist.

We currently do not have any information on the circumstances of his passing but he will be missed greatly.

Rest in Peace.

MJVIBE
    not sure how old he was but i hope it was from natural causes. r.i.p

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsCreated Blog entryTagger Second ClassVeteranOverdrive

Level
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,190 Times in 1,068 Posts

Default Re: Michael in the Media - Thread for Miscellaneous Articles

R. I. P. Jon.
    Sad day.
    Saw this posted on Michaels tweiiter and Instagram. They posted it twice on Instagram so it clearly affected them. Bless them.

I am a child of the Moon , Being raised by the Sun, Sitting with a Rose. In an earth filled with Pain. With a sky full of Hope.

RIP Dearest M. Thank You For My Childhood Memories. ILY.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wendijane For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Default How Michael Jackson Reacted When Eddie Van Halen Changed 'Beat It'

During their peak years in the 1980s, Michael Jackson and Eddie Van Halen collaborated on a hit song. Interestingly, Van Halen told Jackson he wanted to change the song considerably. Afterward, Jackson made it clear how he felt about Van Halen’s proposed changes.

How Michael Jackson reacted when Eddie Van Halen altered one of his songs

Though Jackson was the King of Pop, he knew how to craft an awesome rock song. Songs like “Dirty Diana” and “Give In to Me” show Jackson understood hard rock as well as anyone. “Beat It” was one of his first forays into the genre — and one of his memorable tunes. “Beat It” definitely wouldn’t be the same without Van Halen. In an interview with CNN, Van Halen recalled how Quincy Jones asked him to work on “Beat It” and he agreed.

“I was just finishing the second solo when Michael walked in,” Van Halen said. “And you know artists are kind of crazy people. We’re all a little bit strange. I didn’t know how he would react to what I was doing. So I warned him before he listened. I said, ‘Look, I changed the middle section of your song.’” Van Halen wondered how Jackson would react.

“Now in my mind, he’s either going to have his bodyguards kick me out for butchering his song, or he’s going to like it,” Van Halen recalled. “And so he gave it a listen, and he turned to me and went, ‘Wow, thank you so much for having the passion to not just come in and blaze a solo, but to actually care about the song, and make it better.’”

Later, Van Halen heard “Beat It” playing on the radio. Kids in front of him said whoever played guitar on the song was attempting to sound like Van Halen. Little did they know it was Van Halen himself playing.

How Eddie Van Halen and the public reacted to ‘Beat It’

Van Halen collaborated with a number of other artists including Geezer Butler, Queen’s Brian May, and Thomas Dolby. However, Van Halen still told Smithsonian Magazine “Beat It” is the favorite of all the collaborations he’s done. That’s certainly a huge compliment to “Beat It.” He opined “It’s crazy that something could take such a short amount of time and can grow into something beyond anything you could ever imagine.”

“Beat It” certainly became very big. It became a No. 1 hit on the Billboard Hot 100. Although several singles from Thriller became enduring classics, only “Beat It” and “Billie Jean” topped the chart. Interestingly, the band Van Halen only has one Billboard Hot 100 No. 1 single: “Jump.” Regardless of who sang “Beat It,” the song definitely stands as part of Eddie’s musical legacy — especially since he had such a significant role in its creation.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertain...-beat-it.html/

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Default Michael Jackson: Princess Diana DEMANDED star play 'Dirty Diana' at London show

MICHAEL JACKSON had fans that spanned across nations, continents, and even royalty. Jackson once spoke out about Princess Diana, and even mentioned how she demanded he play the song "Dirty Diana" during his concert in London.

Michael Jackson, like the rest of the world, was extremely saddened to hear the news of the death of Princess Diana in 1997. The Royal unfortunately died in a car accident, leaving behind her two sons, Prince William, and Prince Harry. However it seems the former Princess of Wales was a dedicated Michael Jackson fan, and even knew all of his songs.

One of Jackson's most popular and most influential albums of all time was 1987's Bad.

On the album Jackson included a song titled "Dirty Diana".

In the past he has explained how Dirty Diana was not referring to any one woman, but instead was speaking about the groupies that hung around concerts.

In an interview with Barbara Walters in 1997, Jackson explained how Princess Diana sternly told him to include the song in his London concert after he took it out.

During the interview Jackson explained: "I wrote a song called Dirty Diana.

"It's not about Lady Diana it's about ... they call them groupies."

Speaking about Dirty Diana, Jackson said: "But I took it out of the show [in London] in honour of her royal highness."

Despite this, Princess Diana pulled Jackson aside and asked him to change his mind.

Mimicking her, he recalled: "She took me away and asked: 'Are you going to do Dirty Diana?'

"I said: 'No!'. [She said]: 'No! I want you to do it! Do the song!'"

Because of this, Jackson changed his setlist once again to include Dirty Diana, as he knew Princess Diana was going to attend his show in London.

He later added: "She told me she was honoured to meet me, and I said it's an honour to meet you."

Throughout his time Jackson played for all kinds of fame, notoriety, and indeed royalty.

Despite this, the star explained how he was never "happy" with his work.

In fact, just before his death, Jackson detailed one of his "regrets" from within his career.

Speaking to ABC News, the star said: "I'm just never satisfied with what I do creatively.

"I just regret the limitation of my own imagination.

"I just feel there's so much more. I don't think I've ever done a project where I was totally happy with it."

Later in the interview he added that he was not happy with the first ever live moonwalk performance.

Jackson explained how he wanted to hold the pose a little longer than he had done at the event, causing him some disappointment.

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainm...news-interview

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Default Michael Jackson opens up on 'REGRETS' in his work - 'There's so much more'

MICHAEL JACKSON created an eccentric palette of artistry over the course of his career. And through each of the songs and albums and music videos that he penned, Jackson was unfortunately never satisfied. During an interview from just before he died, the star himself revealed what he regretted most about his work.

Michael Jackson shot to fame with his incredible voice and dance moves at his disposal. It was not surprising to see the star rising more and more each month, as his music continued to crescendo all the way up until he died in 2009.

Just before his death, Jackson gave some interviews about his work over the years.

And while fans have fallen in love with his music over the course of the past 30 years, Jackson revealed he was never truly satisfied with what he did.

Although his music and albums broke records and garnered a huge amount of awards over the years, things weren't ever as good as he wanted them to be.

Just before his death, the star divulged what his regret was whilst creating music over the years.

Speaking to Good Morning America via ABC News, the star confessed: "I'm just never satisfied with what I do creatively."

He then added: "I just regret the limitation of my own imagination.

"I just feel there's so much more. I don't think I've ever done a project where I was totally happy with it."

Fans of the star will know he struggled with some self-confidence issues towards the end of his life, but his music was always at the forefront of his personality.

So then, it would seem his lack of satisfaction in his work was more of a desire to be better than ever in each song.

It would seem Jackson's dissatisfaction with his work also extends to his dancing.

Later in the interview the King of Pop reminisced about his show-stopping performance at the 1983 Motown celebration.

This was, of course, the first time he ever publicly performed the exceptional moonwalk move.

Unfortunately, the star explained how he was "angry" and "disappointed" with his own work - again.

He confessed: "I don't think I'm ever pleased with my performances, either.

"And after [the first moonwalk] performance I wasn't happy either."

Going on to detail the exact problems he had with the performance, he continued: "I wanted to do the five spins.

"Land on the toes, and freeze there. And hold it, stay there.

"And I didn't. I was angry about that, actually. Really disappointed."

Thankfully, he felt a little bit better about himself the following day when he was given a call by one of his idols.

"I didn't realise I really did well until the next day," he said. "When Fred Astaire called my house.

"He was raving: 'I can't believe it. you're an incredible mover!'

"I thought: 'Oh my god, maybe I did well!"

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainm...ead-death-news

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Default 'The Brady Bunch': Michael Jackson Dated This Cast Member From the Show

Here’s the story of a superstar singer who dated…a cast member from the 1970s hit show The Brady Bunch.

For a brief while, iconic artist Michael Jackson dated a star from the still-beloved comedy series. A big fan of the show, Jackson was as starstruck with this actor as they were with him.

Michael Jackson dated Maureen McCormick

In her 2008 memoir, Here’s the Story: Surviving Marcia Brady and Finding My True Voice, actor Maureen McCormick who played eldest Brady daughter Marcia on the series, explained how she met Michael Jackson in the 1970s.

“I’d met the Jackson 5 when they visited us in the recording studio where we were doing the voices for the Brady Kids animated series. Michael was a fan, and we became friends – as friendly as one could get with Michael.”

The two began seeing more of one another and eventually began dating. On a 2015 episode of I’m a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here!, McCormick, now 63, shared that she was around 15 when the two dated.

“We held hands and kissed on the cheeks, never on the lips,” McCormick told her fellow guest stars on the reality show.

“It was so cute, he loved our show – they all did though,” she said, referring to Jackson’s family. “We used to go over and hangout and watch them rehearse.

“We would talk a lot and dream a lot and just, I think we admired each other,” she said.

McCormick was also friendly with the rest of the Jackson family

In her memoir, the actor explained that it wasn’t only Michael Jackson with whom she enjoyed friendship, but with his family as well. She wrote that they were very welcoming to her. One member of Michael’s family, however, said McCormick, filled her with fear.

“Michael’s parents made me nervous,” she wrote. “I was a little afraid of his father, and his mother struck me as the strong, silent type. I became even friendlier with Michael’s sister LaToya than I was with Michael.

“She was fun and had a good sense of humor. She used to confide in me about how strict her parents were. It was funny. We were shopping buddies, and when I picked her up, she always said she couldn’t wait to get out of their house.”

Maureen McCormick today

Most recently in 2019, the former Brady Bunch star reunited with her show co-stars for A Very Brady Renovation on HGTV.

Along with her show family – Barry Williams (Greg), Christopher Knight (Peter), Eve Plumb (Jan), Mike Lookinland (Bobby), and Susan Olsen (Cindy) – McCormick worked on recreating the show’s set inside of the actual Brady Bunch home.

McCormick said on Instagram at the time, “Thank you to all of our fans who have made this journey so beautiful. And thank you to the entire crew who are the best in the business. HOME IS ALWAYS WHERE THE HEART IS.”

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertain...the-show.html/

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Default Michael Jackson recalled 'collapsing in GRIEF' upon learning of Princess Diana's death

MICHAEL JACKSON was extremely close with Princess Diana, and was devastated when her death was announced in 1997. Now, in an interview with Barbara Walters, Jackson's first reactions to the late Princess' death have been revealed.

Michael Jackson had an incredible amount of friends. Over the course of his career he amassed endless famous and notable people within his entourage, and indeed called some of them close friends. Included in this collection of people was Princess Diana, whom Jackson had spent some time with when he visited the United Kingdom. Alongside the rest of the world, Jackson was heartbroken to hear about the passing of Lady Diana back in 1997.

It was no secret that Princess Diana went to see Jackson live in concert a few times but few realise that the pair actually became friends over the course of the years.

During an interview with Barbara Walters in September 1997 - less than a month after Princess Diana's death - Jackson explained where he was when he heard the news.

Speaking to the reporter, Jackson was asked where and how he heard the tragic news.

He recalled: "I woke up, and my doctor gave me the news.

"And I fell back down in grief, and I started to cry.

Jackson went on to explain how he simply could "not handle" the news.

"I said: 'I can't, I cannot handle this! It's too much."

"Just the message," he elaborated. "And the fact that I knew her personally."

In a chilling further comment, Jackson then explained how he felt as if someone else was soon going to die.

"And on top of that one," he went on. "I said there's another one, there's another [death] coming."

Jackson then explained that, just five days later, Mother Teresa died.

Elsewhere in the interview Jackson recalled Lady Diana demanding he play Dirty Diana during one of his live concerts.

Telling the story to Walters, Jackson said: "I wrote a song called Dirty Diana.

"It's not about Lady Diana it's about ... they call them groupies.

"But I took [Dirty Diana] out of the show [in London] in honour of her royal highness."

He then recalled her reaction to this, whilst mimicking the late royal.

"She took me away," he continued. "And asked: 'Are you going to do Dirty Diana?'

"I said: 'No!'. [She said]: 'No! I want you to do it! Do the song!'"

This request from the Princess prompted him to change the set list in the concert that day.

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainm...ty-diana-music
    Last edited by NatureCriminal7896; 23-09-2020 at 09:27 PM.

Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 337
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsThree FriendsOverdrive

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,533 Times in 1,608 Posts

Default Re: Michael in the Media - Thread for Miscellaneous Articles

People who listen to music while working out are more likely to work out regularly and feel more motivated. So FitRated.com surveyed 1000 people, asking them what they like to listen to while working out. If you tend to lean towards pop music, you’re most likely have Lady Gaga on repeat, followed by Michael Jackson and then Bruno Mars. If hip-hop is your thing, you’re most likely listening to The Weeknd, followed by Lil Wayne and Eminem. Classic rock lovers choose Queen most often, followed by AC/DC and Aerosmith. If you’re into alternative music, Red Hot Chili Peppers comes out on top, followed by Linkin Park and Nirvana. The kings of EDM workout playlists are The Chainsmokers, followed by Calvin Harris and David Guetta. And if you need heavy metal to get you motivated in the gym, you’re most likely listening to Metallica, followed by KISS and Slipknot. Speaking of heavy metal fans, they’re more likely to run a mile in under seven minutes.

FITRATE.COM did this survey.
    Mike's PYT

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Default Why Michael Jackson Denounced 'Thriller' and Almost Destroyed Its Video

“Thriller” remains one of Michael Jackson’s most popular songs and music videos — however, not everyone was a fan. After dealing with some backlash to the video, Jackson wanted to destroy it. Here’s why the “Thriller” video upset some people in Jackson’s life — and why he ultimately didn’t destroy it.

How creating ‘Thriller’ was an act of rebellion for Michael Jackson

First, some background. According to Spin, Jackson had some strong religious beliefs. Jackson was one of the most famous Jehovah’s Witnesses to ever live — not that he was always in the church’s good standing.

Spin reports the album Thriller was a bit of a rebellion against the attitudes of Jehovah’s Witnesses, as it mentions sex, gangs, children conceived out of wedlock, and the occult. The video for “Thriller” especially upset the group. According to BuzzFeed, they nearly excommunicated him due to the video’s use of occult images. This is especially interesting as the “Thriller” video is not particularly violent or disturbing, even by the standards of 1980s Hollywood.

How the King of Pop reacted to the backlash

Jackson’s reaction to the backlash was pointed. He almost had the footage of “Thriller” destroyed. However, the director of the video — John Landis — hid the canister with the footage in it so Jackson could not find it. Ultimately, Jackson decided not to destroy the footage — but he still had negative things to say about it. According to The New York Times, Jackson denounced the video in an issue of Awake!, a Jehovah’s Witnesses publication.

”I realize now it was not a good idea,” Jackson said. ”I’ll never do a video like that again. There’s been all kinds of promotional stuff being produced on ‘Thriller,’ but I tell them, ‘No, No, No.’ I don’t want to do anything on ‘Thriller.’ No more ‘Thriller.”’

According to Rolling Stone, if you watch the “Thriller” video today, you are watching a slightly modified version of it created in response to the Jehovah’s Witnesses controversy. The video now has the disclaimer “Due to my strong personal convictions, I wish to stress that this film in no way endorses a belief in the occult.” Those personal convictions would not last forever.

When Michael Jackson left the Jehovah’s Witnesses

“Thriller” remained part of Jackson’s life but the Jehovah’s Witnesses would not. The Los Angeles Times reports Jackson left the group in 1987. The Jehovah’s Witnesses did not give a reason for his departure. Neither Jackson nor his manager, Frank Dileo, were willing to discuss the matter.

Following Jackson’s decision to leave the Jehovah’s Witnesses, occult imagery became part of his work again. His song “Ghosts” is full of such imagery. Its music video features numerous horror elements, from creatures of the night to references to Frankenstein to a screenplay by none other than Stephen King. It’s not clear if Jackson would have made such a video if he remained a Jehovah’s Witness. After all, Jackson’s occult inspired work remains popular –regardless of how the Jehovah’s Witnesses reacted to it.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertain...ts-video.html/

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Default The Justin Bieber Hit Inspired by Michael Jackson's 'Man in the Mirror'

There are many similarities between the careers of Justin Bieber and Michael Jackson — for example, one of Bieber’s hits was even inspired by “Man in the Mirror.” Interestingly, the story behind “Man in the Mirror” is very different from the story behind the Bieber song it inspired. Here’s a look at two songs and how the public reacted to them.

Why Quincy Jones wasn’t sure Michael Jackson would sing ‘Man in the Mirror’

Jackson is a renowned songwriter, but he didn’t write “Man in the Mirror.” According to AllMusic, Siedah Garrett and Glen Ballard co-wrote the track. Fittingly, Garrett is most known for duetting with Jackson on the song “I Just Can’t Stop Lovin’ You.” Although she liked “Man in the Mirror,” Garret wasn’t sure it would strike a chord with Jackson.

“There was just no predicting what was gonna happen,” Garrett told Songwriter Universe. “Quincy [Jones] had told me, ‘You know, [“Man In The Mirror”] is a great song. But we’ve been in the studio with Michael for two-and-a-half years recording [Bad], and Michael has yet to record anything that he didn’t write.’ So it was always iffy. But as Ray Charles used to say, ‘It’s gonna do what it’s gonna do.’ So I had to just let it be.”

Garrett said Jackson liked “Man in the Mirror.” In fact, he understood its meaning the first time he heard it. Garrett explained why she thought the song worked for Jackson.

“Because the song was deeper than just the visual of a man looking at himself in the mirror,” she explained. “It was that, juxtaposed with the idea of a man going deeper inside himself to change from within. To make a difference on the outside, you have to first start from within.”

The Justin Bieber song inspired by ‘Man in the Mirror’

“Man in the Mirror” is a popular song by Jackson that Jackson didn’t write. Oddly enough, MTV News reports it inspired a hit by Bieber which Bieber did write. The song in question is Bieber’s ballad “Pray.”

“It’s a very uplifting song, very motivational,” Bieber explained. “It definitely comes from the heart. It’s very beautiful. I definitely thought of Michael [Jackson’s] ‘Man in the Mirror’ when I was writing it.” How did the two tracks compare in terms of chart performance?

How the public reacted to ‘Man in the Mirror’ and ‘Pray’

“Man in the Mirror” reached No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100. It was one of five singles from Bad to do so. In addition to “Man in the Mirror,” “I Just Can’t Stop Lovin’ You,” the album’s title song, “The Way You make Me Feel,” and “Dirty Diana” all reached the top spot. “Pray” was a hit as well, albeit a more modest one.

“Pray” reached No. 61 on the Billboard Hot 100. Compared to other Beiber hits like “Baby,” “Sorry,” and the remix of “Despacito,” ‘Pray didn’t perform phenomenally well. However, the song still proved Bieber could write chart hits at a very young age — and that the influence of Bad was being felt decades after its release.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertain...e-mirror.html/

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Default Orianthi Recalls How Michael Jackson Behaved When She Joined His Band, Shares Opinion on Steve Vai

UG exclusive: "It was actually through MySpace."

During a conversation with UG's Justin Beckner, Orianthi talked about joining Michael Jackson's band back in 2009 for the late singer's "This Is It" concert residency.

A string of 50 shows was booked at the O2 Arena in London between July 13, 2009, and March 6, 2010. However, none of the concerts took place due to Jackson's unexpected passing in June 2009.

Orianthi is gearing up to release a new album titled "O" on November 6. You can check it out here.

The guitarist reached the subject when asked about the "MJ" guitar that PRS had crafted for her for "This Is It." She commented:

"That was actually designed with Michael Jackson and his clothing designer. It was my guitar originally; it was just a blue Custom 24. We literally just created that guitar over the span of a month or so for the ['This Is It'] tour.

"That guitar was actually bought from me by a big Michael Jackson fan in China who wanted to display it. It was in a storage unit, in a vault, it was pretty much kept in the dark because I didn't want to play it and lose crystals.

"I'd rather have it displayed somewhere for people to see than locked up in the dark somewhere."

You did rehearsals for that tour and we missed out on it, unfortunately. What did Michael have in store for that tour? Were there some surprises that we, regretfully, were never able to see?
    "There were a lot of surprises. Obviously, we had to sign non-disclosure agreements and I don't know if they still stand or if I can talk about everything freely these days

"But there were a lot of things that were going to be pretty epic. It was going to be one of the greatest shows on Earth. That's for sure."

I've read that his people got ahold of you on MySpace. Did that seem odd to you?

"Oh yeah, it was actually through MySpace. I was in the studio working with Diane Warren and I was putting some vocals down and I got an email through Myspace from Michael Bearden saying Michael [Jackson] saw me on the Grammys with Carrie Underwood and my YouTube videos and that I was exactly what they were looking for."He said in the email that he was going to call me that night with Michael [Jackson]. So they called me that evening and asked me if I'd learn 'Dirty Diana' and 'Beat It' and play it for them the next day because they were going to be starting something.

"So I did it and I didn't know what to expect. They hired us all on the spot and we started working. It was pretty surreal."

What did you learn from working with Michael, as far as being a musician and being a professional on that level?

"I learned so much. I can't even really... there was so much I learned from him. It was truly an honor and I'm so grateful to have had that time with him because he pushed everyone to be better.

"He would tell us to step into our light and reach higher. He would tell me to reach my highest note, keep pushing, and be the best performer you can be.

"He was so precise about everything - from the dancing to the sounds. He had this photographic memory for every part of every one of his songs. It was pretty incredible working with him like that.

"You had worked with people who share some of those qualities - the precision and the high bar for professionalism. Steve Vai is someone who values precision and has been referred to as a musical dictator, at times.

"Absolutely, Steve is very much like that too. He is very much into rehearsing and making sure everything is perfect. I've seen him work in the studio - he's a very good friend of mine. The way he orchestrates things is amazing.

"He's just an incredible musician. His dedication to everything he's done in his life... he's just one of those incredible beings, even aside from the music, just as a person, I can't say enough great things about Steve."

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news...steve_vai.html

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks

Default How Eddie Van Halen's Uncredited Guitar Solo on Michael Jackson's 'Beat It' Came to Be

Following Eddie Van Halen's death on Tuesday from a lengthy battle with cancer, the late rocker's friends and fellow musicians took to social media to remember the legendary musician and Van Halen founder.

Van Halen, who founded his iconic eponymous rock group with brother Alex in 1972, is widely regarded as one of the most talented guitarists in rock history and was a consistent presence in the group through several hiatuses and lineup shifts.

However, something casual fans might not know is that one of Van Halen's most memorable contributions to music history didn't have his name on it at all. The guitarist played an unpaid, initially uncredited solo on one of the biggest pop songs of all time: Michael Jackson's "Beat It."

"It just says, 'Guitar solo: Question Mark' or 'Guitar solo: Frankenstein,' Van Halen recalled to CNN in 2012, when he sat down to remember working with the late King of Pop. "I said to myself, 'Who is going to know that I played on this kid's record, right? Nobody's going to find out.' Wrong! Big-time wrong. It ended up being Record of the Year."

After initially thinking the request from Jackson producer Quincy Jones was a crank call, Van Halen agreed to meet Jones and Jackson at the studio. "And lo and behold, when I get there, there's Quincy, there's Michael Jackson and there's engineers. They're makin' records!"

Van Halen left his signature style on the song's guitar licks, but that wasn't all. He also shared that he put his own spin on the song's production behind Jackson's back!

"Michael left to go across the hall to do some children's speaking record. I think it was E.T. or something," he recalled. "So I asked Quincy, 'What do you want me to do?' And he goes, 'Whatever you want to do.' And I go, 'Be careful when you say that. If you know anything about me, be careful when you say, 'Do anything you want!'"

"I listened to the song, and I immediately go, 'Can I change some parts?' I turned to the engineer and I go, 'OK, from the breakdown, chop in this part, go to this piece, pre-chorus, to the chorus, out.' Took him maybe 10 minutes to put it together. And I proceeded to improvise two solos over it."

"I was just finishing the second solo when Michael walked in," he remembered. "And you know artists are kind of crazy people. We're all a little bit strange. I didn't know how he would react to what I was doing. So I warned him before he listened. I said, 'Look, I changed the middle section of your song.'"

"Now in my mind, he's either going to have his bodyguards kick me out for butchering his song, or he's going to like it. And so he gave it a listen, and he turned to me and went, 'Wow, thank you so much for having the passion to not just come in and blaze a solo, but to actually care about the song, and make it better.'"

The collaboration was an unexpected one, and came as a surprise even to Van Halen's bandmates -- who were out of the country at the time. But it was undeniably successful. "Beat It" won two GRAMMYs and went 5x Platinum, selling over 7 million copies and helping to propel Thriller to its reigning spot as the best-selling album of all time.

"I'll never forget when Tower Records was still open over here in Sherman Oaks. I was buying something, and 'Beat It' was playing over the store sound system," Van Halen reminisced. "The solo comes on, and I hear these kids in front of me going, 'Listen to this guy trying to sound like Eddie Van Halen.' I tapped him on the shoulder and said, 'That IS me!' That was hilarious."

And while he was left with plenty of fond memories of the late King of Pop -- "He was this musical genius with this childlike innocence. He was such a professional, and such a sweetheart." -- Van Halen may have ended up regretting his decision to collaborate with Jackson on that particular album.

"Unfortunately, Thriller kept our album, 1984, from going to No. 1," he shared, noting that Jackson's biggest album bumped Van Halen's -- which included the band's most successful single, "Jump." "Our album was just about ready to go No. 1 when he burned his hair in that Pepsi commercial, if you remember that. And boom, he went straight to No. 1 again!"

https://www.etonline.com/how-eddie-v...e-to-be-154293